Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, a terminology question: I assume the rules refer to 'straits' and 'sea lanes' synonymously, right?

Second, I just noticed that the rules state on page 2 that you have to make a sea move of 2 or higher to go across a strait. But in the sea combat section later, it has an example of Britannia being attacked, and having to roll 3 or higher. Which is correct? Or are they both correct and I'm not getting the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are correct but I've not got the rules handy to explain why. If nobody else does, remind me to look it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, please... playing tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
First off, a terminology question: I assume the rules refer to 'straits' and 'sea lanes' synonymously, right?

Second, I just noticed that the rules state on page 2 that you have to make a sea move of 2 or higher to go across a strait. But in the sea combat section later, it has an example of Britannia being attacked, and having to roll 3 or higher. Which is correct? Or are they both correct and I'm not getting the difference?

These are not synonymous actually. Straits are marked on the board. A player can also attack across seas. Straights are easier to cross. To cross a straight marked by a black line demands a roll of higher than , i.e., 2 o more. Attacking across the Western Mediterranean for example requires a roll of more than 3, i.e., 4 or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:

These are not synonymous actually. Straits are marked on the board. A player can also attack across seas. Straights are easier to cross. To cross a straight marked by a black line demands a roll of higher than , i.e., 2 o more. Attacking across the Western Mediterranean for example requires a roll of more than 3, i.e., 4 or more.

Excellent. That makes sense. Now another bit of confusion is, some of my straits are dark blue, some are black. Any meaning there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to my knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Not to my knowledge.

Actually, I think there is, now that I think a little more. The black ones are the ones across Gibraltar and up to Britannia. In the example of sea combat, they give the situation of an attack to Britannia requiring a 3 or higher. So blue=straits (2+ to cross) and black='sea lane' (3+ to cross), thus resolving the original question including the terminology confusion.

Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Not to my knowledge.

Actually, I think there is, now that I think a little more. The black ones are the ones across Gibraltar and up to Britannia. In the example of sea combat, they give the situation of an attack to Britannia requiring a 3 or higher. So blue=straits (2+ to cross) and black='sea lane' (3+ to cross), thus resolving the original question including the terminology confusion.

Comments?

You're ignoring that one can go from any one coastal area to any other coastal area,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Not to my knowledge.

Comments?

You're ignoring that one can go from any one coastal area to any other coastal area,

True, I did not mention it, but that part I understand. I have a feeling that the black crossing lines were added because both Gibraltar and Britannia touch or are in the Atlantic, which is specifically mentioned as off limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top of page 2 of the rather poor rulebook.

Black Lines = Straits
Blue Lines = Sea Lanes

Areas joined by these lines are adjacent.

There are 3 Straits.
a) Linking Baetica and Mauretania Tingitana
b) Linking Thrace and Asia Minor
c) Linking Thrace and Pontus & Bithnyia (sic)

These require a movement roll before entering the adjacent area.
It fails on a roll of 1.

There are 8 Sea Lanes.
a) 1 across the English Channel
b) 2 from Sicily
c) 2 from Cyprus
d) 3 from Crete

These require a Sea Movement roll to move along, but give one a +1 DRM.
These therefore fail on a roll of 1 or 2. (Normally they fail on a 1,2, or 3).

Hope that helps.

PLB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.