Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Driske
Scotland
cardenden
fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings folks

I am new to the fantastic world of Battlelore and have a long way before exhausting all the material currently available (that I can easily get)but is still have some questions.

My questions are:

1) How long has it been since the last expansion?
2) Has there been any indication or hints from FFG that Battlelore is alive and kicking? I know Mr Borg in a relatively recent interview, stated he had several races that were finalised and ready for publication..

Again a fantastic game and I am already looking into getting Battle cry and Memoir 44..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
To the beautiful and the wise the mirror always lies.
mbmbmbmbmb
locherbread wrote:
Greetings folks

I am new to the fantastic world of Battlelore and have a long way before exhausting all the material currently available (that I can easily get)but is still have some questions.

My questions are:

1) How long has it been since the last expansion?
2) Has there been any indication or hints from FFG that Battlelore is alive and kicking? I know Mr Borg in a relatively recent interview, stated he had several races that were finalised and ready for publication..

Again a fantastic game and I am already looking into getting Battle cry and Memoir 44..

Well, let me put it to you this way. It has been a couple years since the last expansion and you can consider the Battlelore line dead. It is a beautiful game that is no longer produced, so you need to search out what expansions you can get for it before they disappear. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You do have the Battle of Westeros, though.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
mbmbmbmbmb
The economy does seem to have ousted any definition of Battlelore as a live species. Strange when they're coming out with another whole edition of Descent, which seems to have nowhere near the level of popularity of Battlelore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody really knows. What is clear is that Fantasy Flight Games seems unlikely to produce any more expansions with plastic components. The plastic problem seems to be the main reason holding up any more Battlelore products.

I really don't see why material such as a scenario book or campaign book can't be produced by FFG in the same manner as Days of Wonder has done for Memoir'44. It's a possibility. I would suspect such a product would sell pretty well.

What's a stronger possibility is the game systems will ultimately be sold to another producer who would then come out with additional material or a complete component reboot. For example GMT Games getting the property and producing Battlelore using blocks. Much like GMT's other Command and Colors games. GMT would probably concentrate on the historical rather than the fantasy. At least new rules and races would appear. Anyone not liking blocks could replace them with 1:72 scale figures from a host of existing miniature companies. Wizards of the Coast reproduced the Battle Cry game after being out of print for years.

I haven't given up hope but I'm not holding my breath for anything new for many years. What Battlelore really needs is a campaign system rather than new troops/figures at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Hurtt
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:
What is clear is that Fantasy Flight Games seems unlikely to produce any more expansions with plastic components. The plastic problem seems to be the main reason holding up any more Battlelore products.

Not that I am disagreeing, but where is it clear that this is the problem FFG is facing? Battles of Westeros uses basically the same type of figure (scale and type of plastic) as BattleLore.

In my mind, the evidence is pretty clear: they see BOW as the way to go. I am sure they paid handsomely for their Game of Thrones license, so they need to capitalize on that as much as possible, as quickly as possible. Once that license expires, they might come back to Richard Borg (and the REAL BattleLore), but for now they need to spend their (presumably) limited funds where they paid the licensing fees.

Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhurtt wrote:
flapjackmachine wrote:
What is clear is that Fantasy Flight Games seems unlikely to produce any more expansions with plastic components. The plastic problem seems to be the main reason holding up any more Battlelore products.

Not that I am disagreeing, but where is it clear that this is the problem FFG is facing? Battles of Westeros uses basically the same type of figure (scale and type of plastic) as BattleLore.

In my mind, the evidence is pretty clear: they see BOW as the way to go. I am sure they paid handsomely for their Game of Thrones license, so they need to capitalize on that as much as possible, as quickly as possible. Once that license expires, they might come back to Richard Borg (and the REAL BattleLore), but for now they need to spend their (presumably) limited funds where they paid the licensing fees.

Dale

Unfortunately you are right. FFG willingly killed one of the best game systems of all time(imho) with a desire to stick the "BattleLore" name on a non-Battlelore game. Business is business, but as a huge BattleLore fan, I will never forget what FFG did to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe at all that FFG stopped supporting/producing Battlelore because it would have been cost prohibitive. There are plenty of games (including ones that FFG makes themselves) that contain just as much plastic yet somehow manage to turn a profit.

Though I will say it equally makes no sense to have purchased Battlelore to merely produce Battles of Westeros. In my opinion the two systems differ significantly enough that there would have been no infringements if FFG would have came out with BOW without having purchased Battlelore.

While I love the game, and hate to think this way, maybe simply sales of Battlelore just weren't there, or at least for the expansions that FFG produced, which convinced them that Battlelore was not a viable product line.
I mean long after it was available, you can still pick up copies of the game on ebay for below MSRP, that has to be at least a btt telling

I just wish FFG wasnt so d@mn silent about things, thats does not make for happy customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian wu
China
flag msg tools
I always desire new expansions of BL coming soon, like Undead, elf...but now where are them? What a shame soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Kehoe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birch97 wrote:
I don't believe at all that FFG stopped supporting/producing Battlelore because it would have been cost prohibitive. There are plenty of games (including ones that FFG makes themselves) that contain just as much plastic yet somehow manage to turn a profit.

Though I will say it equally makes no sense to have purchased Battlelore to merely produce Battles of Westeros. In my opinion the two systems differ significantly enough that there would have been no infringements if FFG would have came out with BOW without having purchased Battlelore.

While I love the game, and hate to think this way, maybe simply sales of Battlelore just weren't there, or at least for the expansions that FFG produced, which convinced them that Battlelore was not a viable product line.
I mean long after it was available, you can still pick up copies of the game on ebay for below MSRP, that has to be at least a btt telling

I just wish FFG wasnt so d@mn silent about things, thats does not make for happy customers.

The Battlelore set as produced by DoW was prohibitively expensive for several reasons. First was the sheer number of pieces - 220 figures as compared to the 138 in Westeros, the 80 in Descent or the 39 in Descent 2.0.

Secondly, the banner stickers were pre-applied and the banners were all assembled out of the box. Also, all of the cardboard was pre-punched. The FFG-produced expansions have done away with this extra labour costs, but it would be much more onerous for the core set.

Christian Peterson indicated in interviews that the factory which produced Battlelore for DoW had lowballed their bid to get the initial contract from DoW. FFG only discovered this after buying the license and contacting them to negotiate a new print run.

It's really unfortunate that circumstances conspired against this game, and that the release delay caused by the ownership change cost brand momentum. On the bright side, FFG did address several of the biggest line requests from the DoW days, and the game is richer than For Troll and Country left it years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sad thing is, FFG was probably making money on the BL expansions they put out all things considered. There tended to be less pieces, those that you did get needed to be glued to the base and stickers added to the flags. Despite that, they priced all their expansions much higher then the DoW expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.