Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Pabian
United States
Mableton
Georgia
flag msg tools
Wow, no reviews for this yet.

I saw Kinderbunnies at a comic/game shop and thought it might be interesting to play with my son, who will be five in 2006. But, before I buy it, I wanted to try to find some feedback on whether it was a good game to take a gamble on. When I got back to my computer, I couldn't find any reviews on the game anywhere. I found a lot of places selling it, or press releases saying it was coming out, but nothing that really told me that it would be a hit with my son. I had never played the KillerBunnies games, so I had nothing to compare it with.

So, I took a chance and ordered it.

First, the only board games I have played with my son is Candyland, (yawn!), so I wasn't sure how he'd take to it. Thankfully, Mom wanted to play too, so we had the three of us sit down to play. My son didn't want to play at first, but when I asked him if he didn't want to play since he thought I would win, he got that gleam in his eye and said, "No, Daddy, I'm going to win!"

Game on!

The game comes with four decks; the first two are the simplest/easiest version of the game. The person with the most bunnies and carrots, wins! Everyone starts off with a set number of cards and at each turn you can either play a bunny from your hand, play a "safety hazard" against an opponent, or play a "feed the bunny" card against an opponent.

Playing a bunny is simply moving it out of your hand.
Playing a safety hazard requires the person who had it played on him, to roll the dice and get the number on the face of the card, (if you do, your bunny is safe otherwise you must discard it).
And making your opponent "feed the bunny" requires your opponent to have the right food to feed the bunny, (water or cabbage) or discard the bunny.

You can also buy carrots, or draw a "take a carrot now" card.

Interesting for the 4 yr old, but maybe not so much for the 10 year old cousin. There are more complex variants involving the rest of the decks but I think we are not quite there yet.

We played the first round with everyone's cards on the table so it would be easier to communicate the rules. My son was able to pick it up pretty quickly, (I was surprised) and he started playing defensively. It was cute.

I think the game teaches some basic strategy and isn't so much luck. It's also not too clear when someone is ahead, (since the bunnies and carrots don't weight the same), so there is more enjoyment in playing than worrying about the score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Harmon
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add my 2 cents about this game. I first saw this game in our local game store when I had my 6 year old with me. Of course it
was next to all the killer bunnies games and my first thought was that it was an attempt to sell a kids game to parents who play killer bunnies, which I had never played. Well, it turns out my 6 year old remembered seeing this game and asked for it for his 7th birthday. The rules are easy to understand and we could start playing right away. What we found out is that this is a really great kids game that is also fun for the adults. This was the first kids game my wife and I played that was actually fun for us too. The advanced and the really advanced
games have different strategies and we find them both fun. We liked this games so much that we decided to give killer bunnies a try and
found that to a be truely awesome game, a game that I doubt I would
have chosen on my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
We haven't played the "Super Advanced" game, since it seems silly to randomly determine the winner. I hear that's how the Killer Bunnies game works. gulp

In defense of Killer Bunnies and the 'random' winner, I'd think it would help teach that the important part of playing a game is the actual playing. It also keeps all players involved up to the end. Sure, you may only have one carrot but you never know - it could be the one! And yes, I've seen that happen. Of course, usually when I have 12 and I personally have never won with one carrot, but I've enjoyed the games nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our games in the "grown up" Killer Bunnies rarely come down to truly random winners. I think that's because none of us are willing to take the last carrot unless every other player has no bunnies. It means our games become very violent and take longer, but it also avoids lotto winners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.