Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis West
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Guys, Asceric here. Happy and ready to start presenting a new campaign. So without further delay, let's meet everyone!

Pregame Setup

This campaign is going to be played by 3 people (1 OL, 2 players playing 2 characters each) most of the time. Other times, it will be just myself, playing all 4 heroes, against the OL. We are using all expansions, minus Sea of Blood. First order of business was for myself and Alukard to choose heroes. our draw was as follows. (Each line is a different set of heroes.)

Hero Selection
Runemaster Thorn - Arvel Worldwalker - Mordog
One Fist - Ronan of the Wild - Aurim
Landrec the Wise - Brother Glyr - Sahla
Tobin Farslayer - Nanok of the Blade - Corbin

In the end, we chose our group to be...
Arvel Worldwalker
One Fist
Landrec the Wise
Tobin Farslayer

We had quite a bit of trouble deciding who exactly we wanted. The only one that was immediately obvious to us was One Fist. He is a good melee character with a very good ability, and the other two choices from there were kinda underwhelming. From the first group, I chose Arvel Worldwalker as our runner. looking back, I probably could have chosen Runemaster Thorn as well, but this was our first time playing with feat cards too, and Arvel's abilities and stats seems to be very relevent and very useful if she is dedicated to running. This turned out to be a good choice which I'll get to later. That left us getting a Ranger and a Magic user to fill out our group, which means we picked Tobin (one of the best rangers in the game in my opinion), and Landrec the Wise, whose ability has shown to be very useful in getting the most damage and other abilities out of items.

Skill Selection
Next up was the skill draw, which for each player was as follows...
Landrec the Wise: Quick Casting
Shadow Soul - Spiritwalker - Vampiric Blood - Quick Casting

Arvel Worldwalker: Acrobat
Leadership - Tiger Tatoo - Appraiser - Acrobat - Rapid Fire

Tobin Farslayer: Born to the Bow
Born to the Bow - Alertness - Burglar - Divine Retribution

One Fist: Knight
Knight - Cautious - Ox Tattoo - Deflect Arrows

Ok, I'm going to admit, we got a pretty insane skill draw. And before anyone rebuffs me for not taking rapid fire, It was because I wanted it for Tobin, as Arvel is a very weak damage dealer in the early game, and Acrobat was a much better skill for her purpose. Tiger Tatoo was the only other one for Arvel I considered, but in the end, I think the value of being able to activate glyphs and open chests through the OL's monsters is more valuable. I do plan on getting Tiger Tatoo for Arvel later, if only to make opening moves of dungeons that much better. For Landrec, I think the choice was between Quick Casting, Vampiric blood, and Spiritwalker. Even then, we felt quick casting was head and heels above the others. This also makes skill hunting easier, as we have two of the three "multi-attack" skills. For Tobin, the only skill that made sense for him was Born to the Bow, which is actually really good. His ability makes bows better for him, and thus this skill was a pretty easy choice.

Now for the OL...
The Sorcerer King
Plot: Obsidian Shackles
Upgrades:Focused, Lawlessness, Phylactery

Now, I do not know much of what the OL was thinking about when he chose his upgrades, but I do know he wanted focused pretty badly. Personally, I would have taken snipers, as I also know he chose the Sorcerer King to harass the heroes more effectively in the Dungeons, as well as Obsidian Shackles to effectively harass us on the Map. Personally, I would have chosen Snipers as my first upgrade, but I'm guessing he has thought of something that I missed. Either way, let's get started! My first session report will be available soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Interesting group there, looking forward to some reports.

Quote:
open chests through the OL's monsters

I thought one can't do that even with acrobat/flight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
No, one can't.

The only problem with this group is that there will be nobody to wield those big magical axes. (well, you can palm them to Arvel but will she use them ?) Mordrog and Ronan could have been as good a pair, with Ronan evolving as the group's runner and Pico available to anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis West
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:

Quote:
open chests through the OL's monsters

I thought one can't do that even with acrobat/flight?

Yeah, I didn't mean opening chests with a monster standing on it, but just monsters blocking hero movement in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis West
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys, Asceic here. So I'm going to be using the format that I've been seeing "The Deadsider" using. For conquest gain, the heroes will be denoted by (+x), while the OL will be denoted by [+x]. I will also be providing links to Descent in the Dark for specific things like skills, heroes, Avatar upgrades, etc. Unlike my last session report however, I will not be typing anything up in Red for personal comments. Instead, you'll just have to read everything, because I had to type everything. So, let's get to the Report!

Campaign Tracking

Session 1

Total CP: 0
OL CP: 0
Heroes CP: 0

The OL: Maester Nara - The Sorcerer King
Beast Level: Copper
Eldritch Level: Copper
Humanoid Level: Copper
Upgrades:Focused, Lawlessness, Phylactery
LT's: Sir Alric Farrow

The Heroes: Asceric and Alukard6966
Rumor: None

Arvel Worldwalker
Skills: Acrobat
Equipment: Chainmail, Crossbow, 2x Shield
Dice Rolled:
Melee - B
Range - B
Magic -

Landrec the Wise
Skills: Quick Casting
Equipment: Leather Armor, Immolation Rune, Ring of Protection
Dice Rolled:
Melee -
Range -
Magic - BBB

Tobin Farslayer
Skills: Born to the Bow
Equipment: Wizard's Robe, Bow
Dice Rolled:
Melee -
Range - BBB
Magic -

One Fist
Skills: Knight
Equipment: Chain Mail, Sword
Dice Rolled:
Melee - BB
Range - B
Magic -

Week 1

TIME PASSES - [+1]
Total CP: 1
OL CP: 1/1
Heroes CP: 0

The OL didn't have much to do here, except just move to Alric to Bitter Downs. The heroes moved to Starfall Forest (+1) with no encounter along the way. So we headed deep into the dungeon, to see how this whole blitz thing worked out.

Dungeon: Starfall Forest - First Level: Monestary
So, a quick look at this level, and we determined we might have a shot at taking it out really quickly. So Arvel went first, declaring a run, and activating the glyph on the first turn (+3). Unfortunately, Alukard and I didn't think it through to have all the other heroes wait in town, and come in at the second glyph after it, so it was a semi wasted move. Because of this, Arvel was a little out in the open as the other Heroes moved forward to gaurd the villagers (We had very little wish to face a demon on our first dungeon ever). The overlord attempted to capitalize on Arvel's temporary weakness, but to no success, but weakening her greately. On the next turn, One Fist battled, and activated Knight, getting 4 attacks total (knight 3 plus his ability attack), killing a Master monster. Landrec also battled, killing another master monster (A beastman I think it was), and Arvel again declared a run action, opening a chest getting the cursed one handed sword, a potion, and some gold. Tobin advanced, killing off a normal white monster, but unfortuneately, this left the master deep elf to attack one fist, rolling near max damage, and bringing him way down in health, and then the other white monsters finished the job killing him [+4]. This was a huge blow to us, as we did not want the OL getting comfortable with gaining this much XP per level. It was unfortunate, and mostly due to sloppy play. But, at this point, we decided to just head out and to the next level as fast as possible to see what else we could reap. We left with two villagers alive, so we got ourselves a total of 2 extra conquest [+2]

Dungeon: Starfall Forest - Second Level: Stuck in the Middle
Ahh, the memories of this level. When I was OL last time, I got this level just after I had bough Gold Eldritch at the beginning of the silver level of the campaign. Thankfully, I also remembered exactly where all of the Web traps were. So that made things a little easier. What didn't make things easier was the sheer number of skeletons, dark priests, and other nasties. A quick discussion and we made the decision to blitz this level, if possible. The thing is, the Glyph was on the complete opposite side of the map, requiring two turns to get to. So, Arvel made a run, grabbed some coins along the way, and tried to hide as much as possible away from the OL's monsters, while Landrec and Tobin stayed further back with gaurd actions to help protect her. That still wasn't enough to prevent the OL from spawning and ganking Arvel [+3], killing her, and sending the rest of his forces toward Tobin and Landrec. Seeing an incoming wave of 5-6 normal monsters and 2 master skeletons, we decided to cut our losses and book it out of that dungeon. Not before we check the shops, and picked up some potions, Manaweave, and the Ring of Quickness. The Ring Went to One Fist, to help with his battling tendencies, and Manaweave went to Landrec.

Dungeon End: Heroes Flee

With our first dungeon out of the way, we, the heroes, decided to go ahead and upgrade Tamalir, and grab the Bazzar, with the hopes of finding some better treasures along our journey to greatness.

Week 2

TIME PASSES - [+1]
Total CP: 1
OL CP: 9/9
Heroes CP: 6

The first thing the OL did on his turn was buy Big Trouble. I thought at the time it was a mistake to do so, but would be proven very wrong in just a moment. He then moved Sir Alric to the Misty Plains. The Heroes then made the move to Blackwing Swamp... From Tamalir. If you look at a game map here, you'll see that this goes through a red encounter check. Yeah, that was a major mistake on our part. The OL immediately took a chance, played big trouble, and proceeded to have the most insane draw ever. The encounter was to be The Blood Moon at The Frozen Pass... This wasn't going to end well. To top it all off, the ambush check succeeded. This really wasn't going to end well.

Encounter: The Blood Moon @ The Frozen Pass

For those who don't know, The Blood Moon is a red level encounter with a single Master Demon, who has tons of extra health. On the map the Frozen path, there is just one exit, and most of the way there, there is only 2 squares wide. This meant that the Master Demon could essentially block off everything all the way through. And that is exactly what the OL did. We left Arvel awake on the stump, because we figured she would be able to wake up two people, who could then wake up the third. Also, we didn't want her taking any damage because she was the only one who we knew could get past the demon. So that is exactly what happens, Arvel wakes up Tobin and Landrec, who then wake up One-fist. On the OL's turn he moves the demonn up into a tree. On our turn, Arvel declares a run action and just books it past the demon, taking Aura damage twice. One Fist, Landrec, and Tobin are all stuck, blocked by the Demon's giant figure. The OL conteplated chasing after Arvel, but decided that his Master Demon with a move of 3 was too slow to catch Arvel who moves 8 spaces when running. So the OL was just content to attack when able, and laugh as the other three heroes tried to move in, take damage from Aura, and either completely miss on the dice roll, or not have enough surges to overcome fear. Landrec was the first to die this way, after which Arvel made it out of the pass, but Tobin and One-fist quickly followed landrec to the Grave. [+11, 5 from one fist because of Shadowblade, 4 from Tobin, and 2 from Landrec.

End Encounter: Party Flee

Disheartened from the beating we just recieved, not to mention how late it was getting for us having set up and played through our first week, We called it quits here. Thankfully because Arvel was able to flee, the heroes were able to continue on to Blackwing Swamp, and get the exp for visiting. (+1)

End of Session 1

Total CP: 27
OL CP: 20
Heroes CP: 7

The OL: Maester Nara - The Sorcerer King - 17XP
Beast Level: Copper
Eldritch Level: Copper
Humanoid Level: Copper
Upgrades:Focused, Lawlessness, Phylactery, Big Trouble (USED)
LT's: Sir Alric Farrow @ Misty Plains

The Heroes: Asceric and Alukard6966
Rumor: None

Arvel Worldwalker - 1XP
Skills: Acrobat
Equipment: Chainmail, Crossbow, 2x Shield
Dice Rolled:
Melee - B
Range - B
Magic -

Landrec the Wise - 1XP
Skills: Quick Casting
Equipment: Leather Armor, Immolation Rune, Ring of Protection, Manaweave
Dice Rolled:
Melee -
Range -
Magic - BBB

Tobin Farslayer - 1XP
Skills: Born to the Bow
Equipment: Wizard's Robe, Bow
Dice Rolled:
Melee -
Range - BBB
Magic -

One Fist - 1XP
Skills: Knight
Equipment: Chain Mail, Shadowblade
Dice Rolled:
Melee - BB
Range - B
Magic -

Where to go from here
Well, I have to admit that the OL is off to a really good start. However, I feel that if the heroes play a little tighter, and take advantage of the skills they have, namely Arvel with Acrobat being able to activate glyphs turn 1, then they should be able to dominate in dungeons. Like I said, we just have to play smart, cover LoS for spawns, and make sure we don't do anything too stupid. Knowing that Big Trouble is out of the way, will probably make encounters easier out on the map. Hopefully that is. Alright, thanks guys for checking in, and I'll see you soon with another session report, although not till after Christmas. I apologize this one took so long to get up, but I dreaded creating the template for all the links and the beginning and end of session report stats. Also, real life gets in the way as always. Regardless, hopefully I'll see you guys sometime after next Friday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you on getting that template together, it's a pain in the butt. However it's much easier from now on and darnit, they just look good even if I might be a bit biased lol.

Random thoughts:

Heroes might be down in CT but in reality I think they are seriously ahead of the game. I don't know why the OL has been spending CT delaying the monster upgrade especially with Eldritch being the cheap kind. That and spending Big Trouble on turn 2, or not taking Snipers or even Siege Engines. Odd choices to me.

Such a crazy skill draw. Knight, Acrobat, Quick Casting? Geez.

As a personal note, I like reading a recent session from the other side of the table from the hero perspective. And there's a good chance after our current campaign we may do another and SK was one I was thinking of. I know first edition isn't hot on people's minds right now, but I think with two ongoing and current session reports written from both the Hero and Overlord views is pretty cool.

I look forward to more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Master of the Waz
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst part for the heroes is Silver monsters coming in week 3. That is going to hurt. Enjoy the week 2 dungeon before that happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know there are two chainmails right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
Moo
Corbon's got a point. One-Fist needs to get up in people's faces, so he should definitely have strong, strong armour. Leather isn't.

Am also somewhat surprised by the decision to put Arvel in chains. I like invincible runners as much as the next guy, but the runner usually ends up going on suicide runs, so why bother?

I'm also looking at 4-point Farslayer in the Wizard's Robe. Here we have one of the highest points-per-kill heroes on the board, one who can't even attack adjacent targets, and he's got armour that won't help him at all against melee. It's like there's a giant neon sign flashing above him that says, "EAT ME!" Get this man some chains, fast, before the OL notices and starts spawning Beastmen next to him every other turn.

Our group typically tosses the Wizard's Robe on Landrec. He's just two points, and the one point of armour from the leather doesn't really help since he usually gets eaten by Beastmen anyway. The armour boost MIGHT work better on One-Fist, too.

Am assuming you knew to do this, but make sure you have the person on watch unequip their weapon before kicking anyone awake to reduce damage. This might not matter if you're using Runewitch "Way of the Exploding Fist" Astarra, though...

And yes, your skill draw was obscene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis West
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing that out Corbon, and after checking the tracker, I realized that I did, in fact, get chain mail for One Fist. So that was a typo on my part. And Section_8, I like the way you think. I'll probably give Arvel's Chainmail to Tobin, and see if I can convince the other player player to give Landrec the Wizard's robe, while Arvel get's the leather armor.

There should be an update coming either Sunday or Monday, as tomorrow (Saturday) there should be another session. However, I did just pick up second edition, so I'm taking that with me, as the OL and myself want to check it out first. But after a dungeon with second edition, we should be able to get in a dungeon or two for the campaign in that night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
Also, put Ghost Armor on someone (preferably someone you don't want dead) and watch the DM go nuts. Preferably NOT the person with Rapid Fire. Seriously, its a potential 3-5 extra health that you can get back any time with a Rest order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.