$10.00
Viranga Ratnaike
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
This is especially true when I am close to the centre of the universe.
badge
I hope to replace the photo with a drawing of my own.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm introducing some friends to Battlelore. If we had more time, I'd sit down, and play one-on-one games with each person individually. I figured we'd play multiplayer in an epic setting (more friendly than two separate games; less duplicated explanation ). We wouldn't really be worried about who wins. Reluctant Allies seems a bit complicated at the moment. So just one camp on each side; one set of command cards per camp. Playing Al-Jazirah Al-Khadra.

We'll probably have four players:
- one person who has played a variety of games, but doesn't play games often (I want to make sure she's having fun - and we'll probably be playing several other games).
- one person who has rarely played games other than chess.
- one person who really likes very strategic games, and picks stuff up quickly.
- me: I have played Battlelore before, but am reassured that my blunder frequency (so evident in chess) will not make this too much of an advantage.

I'm trying to interpret the section on "Increased Number of Players".

Is it right to say that one person (the Lord Commander) has final say in which command cards get played? But that the troop movements on the wings are up to the field marshals? I'll probably set up the two less experienced game players as Lord Commanders (partly to avoid loudest player decides; partly to get them thinking about strategy/tactics).

If the command cards chosen allow both center and wind movement, in what order do the troops move? My best guess is to let the less experienced gamers move first, and have possibly trickier decisions for the more experienced gamers.

Should we play Reluctant Allies instead? Are their different ways of playing with people new to the game?

I'm happy for people to just give general advice on how to introduce the game to a group of people; or just answer the question(s) of your choice. I'm trying to make the game play fun enough to encourage more regular play. I play it infrequently enough that I forget stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Hurtt
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you take the Overlord version of Memoir 44, where you play up to four people per side, as a model for how to play Borg rules multi-player, then:

Yes, it is right to say that the Lord Command has final say in which command card gets played.

Yes, it is right to say that the field marshals have control of the troop movements on their wing.

The order of the movement is defined by the player. You can take them in any order you want. You do not have to do all wing then center, or all center then wing. You can jump back and forth. For a single player it is more convenient to go from one end to another, but sometimes the movement on one unit opens a gap allowing another unit to move, so putting artificial constraints on the order of movement might not allow you to make such moves.

You could simply increase the Command hand by half and allow two section card or one tactics card play per turn, with drawing either one or two cards (depending upon how many were played). Simpler than Reluctant Allies of Epic rules. There might be a few quirks to work out, but it should be fine. There will still come a point in which the person on the wing is not going to have a card because your hand just has the wrong cards, but that is the way it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viranga Ratnaike
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
This is especially true when I am close to the centre of the universe.
badge
I hope to replace the photo with a drawing of my own.
mbmbmbmbmb
dhurtt wrote:
If you take the Overlord version of Memoir 44, where you play up to four people per side, as a model for how to play Borg rules multi-player, then:

Yes, it is right to say that the Lord Command has final say in which command card gets played.

Yes, it is right to say that the field marshals have control of the troop movements on their wing.

Thank you

Quote:
The order of the movement is defined by the player. You can take them in any order you want. You do not have to do all wing then center, or all center then wing. You can jump back and forth. For a single player it is more convenient to go from one end to another, but sometimes the movement on one unit opens a gap allowing another unit to move, so putting artificial constraints on the order of movement might not allow you to make such moves.

I agree re: the single player situation. The question was more for different players controlling center and wing troops. I guess here, as well, an artificial constraint would restrict some moves. I shall defer to the other player on my side if we have different ideas.

Quote:
You could simply increase the Command hand by half and allow two section card or one tactics card play per turn, with drawing either one or two cards (depending upon how many were played). Simpler than Reluctant Allies of Epic rules. There might be a few quirks to work out, but it should be fine. There will still come a point in which the person on the wing is not going to have a card because your hand just has the wrong cards, but that is the way it goes.

That's a nice suggestion.

You've been very helpful and informative
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.