United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm Human, I promise!
badge
Lies, I'm totally a Cylon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for writing these, it's helping to tide me over till Christmas when I actually get to open up Lords of Middle-earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for another great review, Kristofer!

I think almost all of the alternate versions of companions are very good and offer many, MANY, interesting possibilities. I especially like the guide ability for Boromir, Legolas and Gimli which allows for their separation from the Fellowship without having to use a die.

Question on that: If, say, a hunt deals damage of 3 and you choose to separate all three of them to absorb it, are they still required to move together to a common location (like normal separation)?

Strider's new ability also looks very strong and would seem to make for some dilemma as to when (or even if) to separate him to get the extra die. And doesn't Gandalf have to be leading the Fellowship in order to use his special die? It will be interesting to see how this aspect plays out over time in top level play.

I love the idea that Merry & Pippin are stronger TOGETHER when they are in the Fellowship. This just rings true thematically (hobbits, more than the others, just seem to need each other).

However, might their ability to cheat death and return to 'lead' another army be too favorable to the Free? It would make more sense if they were required to remain together in order to receive this benefit, and then ONLY ONE could survive. Not sure anyone should have the gift of immortality in this game.

Actually, in some of my games I always chuckled a bit whenever Merry or Pippin found themselves 'leading' a Rohirim or Gondor army by themselves. Even under the most dire circumstances I just can't imagine them being taken seriously. On the other hand, Napoleon probably wasn't much taller...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
Question on that: If, say, a hunt deals damage of 3 and you choose to separate all three of them to absorb it, are they still required to move together to a common location (like normal separation)?

Yes, it's in the latest version of the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
Strider's new ability also looks very strong and would seem to make for some dilemma as to when (or even if) to separate him to get the extra die. And doesn't Gandalf have to be leading the Fellowship in order to use his special die? It will be interesting to see how this aspect plays out over time in top level play.

Yes, alternate Gandalf needs to be Guide to get access to his Keeper Die (and the Fellowship must have moved in the previous turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.