Popular Tags: [View All]
He who will soon be killed
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pondermotive VASIMIR(thruster) with In-Core Thermionic(generator) with
Project Orion(reactor) Along with 4 therms coolant from radiators.

Since the Vasmir requires the In-Core generator which requires the Prooject Orion Reactor do I get the bonus +8 thrust resulting in an 11-1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
correct though the radiant count would have to be checked as I don't have my cards in front of me ..

thrust support counts if the thrusters support .. requires support

the Vasimir needs a generator .

so the In core,(for the Vasimir), that needs a reactor can use the Orion project for +8 thrust ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that works. But that's one heavy thruster. The VASIMR is mass one, the ICT is mass 0, and Project Orion is mass 4. I generally estimate 1 therm per cooling (not exact, but a good estimate.)

That's a mass ~9 thruster. And that's just a thruster. There's no robonaut or refinery attached. (To be fair, you can put any refinery/robonaut combo on there, so you can get something light to make it work.)

So while it's a legal thruster, I don't think it's a particularly efficient thruster.

It's tough to get the VASIMR to fly. The requirement for a pulsed generator makes it difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, 4 therms. I tried to assemble something like this once but I was hurting on the cooling front. that In-core just runs too hot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking that with the regolith ability it would make for a good space venture rocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a better use for it would be getting glory points (no need for lander fuel or aerobrake rolls to get to Mars and Mercury, and you can get there and back really fast).

To add regolith refueling you either need to drag along the Mass Driver (3 more mass points), or industrialize somewhere first and build either the Wakefield e-beam or the MPD T-wave. There's also the flip side of the VASIMR, but that needs no generator support, so you lose the +8 thrust.

So, a better idea might be to industrialize an "M" site and build the MPD T-wave on the back of the Mass Driver, and use that in conjunction with the In-Core Thermionic and Project Orion - that would give you a 10-1/2 rocket with regolith refueling (and that attacks as a 2d6 raygun and is immune to missiles, mwah-ha-ha!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats my problem. looked up the Vasmir and thought it was regolith, I seee now its only once flipped to the black side and then it would not require the reactor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is legal, but visualizing the final rocket is not easy. In my college days we used a spherical device called a "bomb caliometer" used to measure the energy of explosives. For this rocket, one must visualize a bomb caliometer capable of containing a nuclear explosion. A very small nuke (presumably curium 145, the smallest critical mass). The bomb must be exquisitely fabricated so all the fragments are dust sized. The outside of the caliometer is covered with thermionics to generate electricity from the cherry red shell. Heat rejection is far more than the electricity generated. The feeble thrust of the VASIMIR could hardly nudge the massive sphere. All in all a thoroughly impractical design!!

EDIT Upon reflection, I have seriously misrepresented this design. There is no reason to assume, as I did, that the rocket is 100% VASIMR thruster powered by an Orion. Since the vast majority of the thrust comes from Orion, it is actually 99% Orion thruster, 1% VASIMR thruster. Instead of a spherical caliometer, it is more a hemispherical nozzle, covered with thermionics that power the electric rocket. This crude concept can be made more practical in various ways: using MHD to capture some of the bomb energy, laser detection and deflection of debris, using Z-pinch to initiate the bomb and lower the yield, etc. But no refinement can disguise the fact that the electric rocket subsystem serves little more than being an RCS (Reaction Control System, able to guide but not propel the rocket).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.