Clash of Giants II» Forums » General

Subject: First Game of 1st Ypres rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sloop hmsstarling
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I finished my first game of 1st Ypres this week, and really enjoyed it! We played it out in two sessions at my friend's home, and with good luck on the die early as the Allies, I was able to make it a long game, but as the luck evened out over the long haul, my big push at the end couldn't retake Ypres or crack into Lilles, so I surrendered on Turn 17 of 18 at 4 Allied VP to 5 German VP, with insufficient forces to take another objective in the time remaining. It was great fun, and we set up Galicia for next week, where I'm hoping as the Russians to have better success on the eastern front than I had on the western front …

First question, what have players experienced for replayability of 1st Ypres? It seems that it would have good replayability based on my first play and the what-ifs rolling around in my mind, or is it play each side a couple of times and move on to something else?

Also, one of my friends was thinning out his board game collection, and I was able to obtain Grand Illusion in virtually new condition for an excellent price, and I'm looking at it spread out on my game table, set up beside Paths of Glory, and looking for a spot to set up Pursuit of Glory! And if only I could get Reds on the table too!

Second question, I haven't had a chance to play Grand Illusion yet, but for those of you who have played it and 1st Ypres, I'm curious as to how do they compare as to historical feel, interesting strategies and tactical play, fun to play, replayability, etc.?

I really like the look and ideas in Grand Illusion, and I'm looking forward to playing it, and when I do, I'll add my comparison to those of you who may comment on your experiences with both games.

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.