$10.00
Gustavo
Brazil
União Da Vitória
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Let's say I move a platoon inside a hex that has an Entrenchement, with the intention of using the fortification. Does the opponent get to OP fire me before I can into the Entrenchement, or can I consider that I get into it immediately when I move into its hex?

- Just to confirm: since the act of leaving and entering a Fortification does not require the expenditure of MPs, my opponent cannot OP fire me in these cases, right?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rules wrote:
35.6 Opportunity (Op) Fire
During an enemy Move or Assault order, immediately after the
active player concludes an activity in which an activated unit spent
any number of MPs (a stationary pivot; using a special action; assault
firing; or moving into a new hex), the inactive player has the option
of making any number of reactive fire attacks against that acting unit's
hex.

The "immediately after" makes me think that as soon as you spent MPs to enter a hex, the opportunity fire can take place, i.e. before you have then gone on to enter the fortification, since entering and leaving fortifications appear to be explicit game actions themselves (albeit costing 0 MPs). I.e. it seems that when entering a hex with an entrenchment, a unit does not instantly also find itself immediately inside the entrenchment, but must "enter" the entrenchment which is in its (newly entered) hex. (Also reasoning from a thematic/simulation point of view, this seems more sensible. The fortification is just one place somewhere inside the larger hex, it's not the entire hex, so a unit entering the hex would need to cross some ground to reach the fortification.)

But I am curious to hear an official answer since I wouldn't bet my life on my answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmb
You are in the entrenchment. Entering a fortification is considered part of moving into its hex (and vice versa), so it occurs simultaneously with it; Op Fire occurs after entering the hex, and so occurs sequentially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
Brazil
União Da Vitória
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question about Fortifications and movement:

Let's say I have an Infantry unit inside a Bunker. Can I perform the following sequence?

- Leave the Bunker, staying in the same hex (and NOT being OP fired);
- Fire in the unit that was behind the Bunker;
- Move back inside the Bunker, an again not being OP fired.

Since by the rules you can leave Fortifications at any time and enter them when activated for an Assault order, I'm assuming it would all be fine. Also, since entering and exiting Fortifications don't spend MPs, I believe the units cannot be OP fired.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mb
gmsa84 wrote:
- Leave the Bunker, staying in the same hex (and NOT being OP fired);
- Fire in the unit that was behind the Bunker;
- Move back inside the Bunker, an again not being OP fired.

How are you firing the unit?

If it was ASSAULT, you must spend a MP to fire, triggering OpFire.
If it was FIRE (after the MOVE was completed), the unit triggers Return Fire.

So either way, the unit will get shot at after it fires and before it enters the bunker again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmb
Quote:
- Leave the Bunker, staying in the same hex (and NOT being OP fired)

Yes, at any time.

Quote:
- Fire in the unit that was behind the Bunker

Yes, but note that this will draw possible Return Fire -- and without the benefit of the bunker since you declared yourself outside of it.

Quote:
- Move back inside the Bunker, an again not being OP fired

Yes, but only if activated for a Move, Assault or Advance order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
Brazil
União Da Vitória
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, the unit will get shot when spending the MP for firing. My main concern was actually being able to leave the Bunker and enter back during the same order. Apparently it is possible then. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.