Subject: Drop in another mini fighting game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I hardly have enough time to play games, am finally going to get to play this one soon, but regardless, reading the rules, I thought that it would be pretty amazing to combine this game with heroscape. At the least I think I will dig out my crixus and spartacus figures (never was able to get the gladiators unfortunately :( ) for the game.

But really I was thinking how the game is a great wrapper for other game systems. You could put a more complicated battle in, add teams, heck in the case of heroscape could bid for contracting to construct the arena for the upcoming games. I was picturing a sort of mega on going gladiator game where you added in heroscape cards to the market deck, bid and try to assemble teams etc.

But regardless of that I could see that if you wanted added complexity you could drop in any other mini fighting system, with the side effect probably being longer rounds. Just have to make new cards for the characters and their gear.

All in all the whole thing is a really nice infrastructure to hybridize other games, I was just curious if anyone had attempted something like this yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group almost immediately modded the game to allow more gladiators in the arena - 2 v 1, 2 v 2, 3 v 1 etc. Worked just fine with the rules as written. Just combined two games to get enough dice! And had to alter the betting.

The game is certainly ripe for the possibilities you mentioned, but I should warn you that it can be quite long already - especially starting at 1 influence. So if you do complicate the combat, it really might become a marathon game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's the need: this is mainly a game of intrigues, bartering & backstabbing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well there is more to it I think!!! You could combine this game with Modern Art also! Have every kind of bidding during the market phase!!!

As for combat, the expansion will include team fights!!! This will be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reapy wrote:

All in all the whole thing is a really nice infrastructure to hybridize other games, I was just curious if anyone had attempted something like this yet?

If anything, I'd consider taking the combat system out of the game and using it for a stand-alone beer & pretzels Gladiatorial fighting game, maybe keeping the betting...but losing the intrigues, bartering & backstabbing.

I've got plenty of Heroscape hexes and gladiator figures that would love to see the table again....

Is there enough there to keep a group interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also had this thought immediately after seeing a demo of this game. I've played spartacus and while the fights are perfect for a typical game group, I found myself wanting to bid on robots, werewolves, dragons and ninjas a whole lot more. I even made up a new arena using 19 of the 7 space sand hexes to make a big mostly-circular board. I figured each side would be able to bring in 3 terrain modifications of their choice to play to their army's advantages (water, lava, trees, ruins, etc.) to spice things up.

A dominus of heroscape units just seems so much cooler. I think I went a little too far when I decided that the fight would be between only heroscape wizards who would build up mana points to cast other heroscape cards or magic spells (I threw in a bunch of MtG cards into the mix). I've been thinking I need to make my own custom version of Mage Wars with HeroScape units for some time now. I had a blast setting everything up and the market consisted of HS and Magic cards to bid on as well as equipment glyphs and terrain. The actual combat (as you would imagine) became a little unwieldy, but under the proper designer, this could have been amazing (basically mage wars, but with an overarching game of winning, losing and gaining influence). The mind reels at the possibilities... and then gets overwhelmed shortly thereafter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Snappleman wrote:
The mind reels at the possibilities... and then gets overwhelmed shortly thereafter.

LOL. Describes every "minor variant" or game "mashup" I've ever undertaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Finally got to get in a game of this, and yes it was a marathon at 3.5 hours from 4 influence. And yes it really is more about intrigue and schemes at the end of the day. I saw Spartacus early and blew my cash on him, and he did end up winning me the game but only due to us all being new, some luck at betting got me cash heavy enough to win host so I could keep taking down people in the arena.

A longer arena section would grind the game down a lot. I could see a themed variant though with market phase and slimmed down schemes work with a beefed up arena mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willie
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
My brother and I have spent the past couple of months creating a game that hits on what your talking about. It's not heroscape, mainly because players create the gladiators they want to use. Each player has 4 gladiators that start with basic stats. There are 3 rounds to the game the first 2 rounds are comprised of three fights that players submit their gladiators to fight in. However you never know if your going to get the exact spots you want. You may end up getting teamed with a gladiator from another school/player to take on another player in a one vs two, 2v2, etc...Gladiators gain experience points during each battle which increases their fame which increases the bonuses the gladiator recieves from the weapons and armor that have been assigned to him/her. During the armor and weapon markets players draw x amount of cards and freely equip their gladiators. created either fast agile gladiators with duel weapons, or heavy armored up gladiators with deadly 2 handed weapons. to even equiping them with javelins, nets and bow and arrows. The 3rd round is a massive battle between all the gladiators from each school/player 4v4v4v4 (if four players are playing). Players earn victory points for winning battles and earn more xp points that they can assign to upgrade their training facilities. Which increases the bonuses that the gladiators receive during the training phase of the game. gladiators that reach fame 10 also earn a victory point for their school. the 3rd round is worth the most victory points. the player with the most victory points at the end wins!!!! It's very fun, players are engaged with each other on a competitive level as well as at times being cooperative when they end up fighting on the same team for a battle.

Right now we are working with an artist to get drawings and miniatures sculpted and molds created. Our miniatures are going to be unique in that when you equip your gladiator with a weapon or piece of armor the miniature will come apart and you will add in the specified equipment. This will create a very visually engaging game. When you look at a gladiator you will know exactly what weapons they are caring and where their armor is equipped.

Wounds are assigned in a very unique manner that create those EPIC moments where it is possible to kill a gladiator in one blow! The arena battle is very strategic. even a 1v1 requires strategy in movement to win. battles that have 2v2v2v2 (depending on how many players there are) require planing and strategy to be able to have your team come out victorious. it becomes a game of chess with the results of damage determined by dice based on skills from the gladiators and armor saves from the gladiators armor.

Anyways were very excited about our game and look forward to taking it to kickstarter this summer. The game will come with 32 highly detailed interchangeable miniatures!!!

If anyways finds this interesting or would like to know more feel free to contact me at hubbawillie@gmail.com

p.s. game plays in 2-3hrs not bad for how many epic arena battles you will participate in as well as the depth to gladiator customization. players customize their 4 gladiators from everything from 4 stat categories to armor and weapons. Armor can be equipped to left or right arms,legs, head and chest. you create the best team of gladiators and battle it out in the arena!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flex Dolphynn
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I totally want to use Battling Tops for the arena portion. Battling Tops can be a very exciting game if the players are enthusiastic.

Need to adjust it for the different Gladiator tiers, so maybe a 9 point gladiator has to win 3 matches to defeat a 11 point gladiator, and then adjust for equiptment. Perhaps equiptment could allow a 2 second delay of spinning your top per piece or something.

It could be the opposite of HeroScape and add in more simplicity to the combat instead of complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.