Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 2P twice, but we didn't rotate. We just didn't worry about it until there was a reason and then, yes, P2 has an advantage because he can just take it. Of course, the next turn, or the next time there's a need, P1 can just take it back. I agree it is more interesting in a multi-player game.

Reminds me I want to play this again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 2p quite a lot. Turn order works the same and obviously isn't so interesting as in multi-player games. Play order is relevant only in key points.

First player rotation would be randomizer. Do you understand that turn order can be challenged at start of EVERY PHASE?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
yeah I just saw the every phase thing as well, cheers Martin

There are 4 phases, so in your suggested variation there would my phases and your phases.

For example:
My would be (re)production and building, while yours transportation and wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The problem with a rotating start player is that there are turns where it is less interesting to be starting player. So even in a 2-player game, it might be interesting to stay second to save the ability to go first for a later turn.

An example would be if two players have a transport waiting at a mine, obviously (at least in most cases) you'd rather want to grab gold than metal. So if the mine produces a metal, you'd not want to waste your "go-first" capability to grab that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Børge N
Norway
Porsgrunn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that in the building phase, it is actually advantageous to be last. Then you can immediately destroy a wall built by your opponent, or build a wall which cannot be destroyed by your opponent until the next turn.

Rotating the start player will not make it fair, because as other have said, there are only at certain points in the game the turn order does matter.

But yes, the practical implication of the temple phase in 2P is that before any phase, the second player has the opportunity to switch the turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.