Subject: Bribing the Guards Scheme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Stone
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
This question came up in my 'learning game' yesterday and I wanted to get the community's opinion on how to play this. One player used the Scheme 'Bribe the Guards' on a player with 4 deployed guards. The Scheme (if successful) exhausts all deployed guards, paying 2 gold per guard.

The question (and what caused two conflicting interpretations) is whether the deployed guards that are targeted by this scheme can be used to foil it.

One player argued that they could, since there seems to be nothing on the 'Bribe the Guards' card or rulebook that suggests they can't. So, the targeted player could discard a deployed guard, roll to foil the scheme, and, if unsuccessful, discard another guard and roll, and so on, until he ran out of guards or decided it was no longer worth it (since the remaining face-up guards would become exhausted, but refresh the next round). For the record, this is the way we played it.

Another player, however, argued that the guards being targeted by this scheme should not be allowed to try to foil it, for thematic reasons (since the whole point of the scheme seems to be to surprise a player who thought their deployed guards would provide protection). They agreed that cards being played out of one's hand (whether guards or reactions) could be used to foil this scheme, but not the deployed guards.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Theme Me
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you played it correctly. Think of the guards trying to foil the scheme as ones that declined the bribe.

It is an interesting choice as you can press your luck to keep the guards ready (or perhaps lose many or all of them) or take the result - and the gold which lets you keep all the guards for future use.

***Edited - gold goes to the bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sais
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the second interpretation. This make more sense to me. It seems you bribe the guards to take a hike then hit the same player with a more nasty scheme. Treachery at its best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would say "no"; the purpose of the card is to exhaust the guards, and to me those same guards should not be allowed to foil it...if you also had guards in your hand, then i say yes to those...but i didn't design the game, and will wait for the off answer...but until then i'd play those "ready guards" are now exhausted, and you'd need other means to try and foil the scheme...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course he can use the guards to try and prevent it - and for all those claiming 'not thematic' just think of the dice roll as the guard deciding if loyalty or gold is going to rule.
Also the target of the scheme might decide it's in his interest more to not lose his guards completely (especially if he rolls dice like me) and let the attacker spend his gold.

Seriously guys - it's a (very) simple game that doesn't need rules lawyers getting involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stegmark
Sweden
Halmstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use one or more guards if you want to to foil the scheme. Regardless of thematics the rules are quite clear and strightforward on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Both Martin and Dangerous Partners are correct, the target Dominus may use a Guard in an attempt to foil "Bribe the Guards". There are always one or two guys who are too honest for their own good...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stone
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers everyone. I also thought the rules on this one were pretty clear that the targeted guards could be used, but it is good to have an official answer that the designers didn't "really intend" something else :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. I had this question come up tonight and we ruled that the guards could not foil this scheme.

Good to have an official ruling, as I, at least, didn't think it was all that clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vanrydergames wrote:
It is an interesting choice as you can press your luck to keep the guards ready (or perhaps lose many or all of them) or take the result - and the gold which lets you keep all the guards for future use.

I'm not sure that the gold paid goes to the player who owns the guards. If I recall correctly, the card only says "pay gold per guard" and there are several cards that read "pay target player X gold." My interpretation of this card is that the gold is paid to the bank.

This makes sense thematically as well, since gold going into the pockets of his guards isn't likely to find its way into the Dominus' coffers.

Also, it would make the card really pretty weak as long as the target player had a hand of cards left. Since you are allowed to keep Guard Reaction cards in your hand, you could end up exhausting all of your targets Guards, paying him a bunch of gold, and then playing a nasty Scheme targeting the same opponent only to have it foiled by his hidden Guard cards, making it a risky proposition with a large chance of the end result being that you played out multiple Schemes, paid gold to an opponent, and had no positive result other than forcing him to play one or more foil from his hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
My interpretation of this card is that the gold is paid to the bank.

Correct, the gold goes into the Bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.