Canada
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
flag msg tools
Supercalifragiliticexmealidocious
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb

With the help of several people on the back end including Illumanus who has been nice as usual and answered questions and provided the needed files, We've started the preperation to have the ti3wiki.org reborn.

This will be time consuming and a bit pricey so have patience. goo

Firstly going to the website won't show anything right now.

The plan is to have the website front end using a modified joomla package and going from there, the website and forums will have a unified password- I'm not certain until the techie goes through things if the wiki itself will be unified or with a seperate username.

What to expect;

*A central place and relatively easy way for playing TI3 pbem/pbf.
*The wiki in the shape it was from the last backup.
*Updating the wiki to take into account anything new over time.
*General website which will eventually have more functionality.

What might happen;

*Forums may or may not be portable. (Might just have an old archive)
*Wiki Usernames will probably be fine, though will have to be activated server side for security, we'll see.
*Depending on the costs of this there might be free basic accounts and donation enhanced accounts. There won't be a cost to play a game of course just added functionality (examples; message board accounts with larger message storage, dedicated forums and subforums for a GM, Twilight-Imperium-A-Gram when you win a game, heh random things anyway.

What not to expect

*To be able to play the game on the wiki without owning the game in RL.
*Perfection, though we'll try.
*Speed, we're not getting paid (donations would cover costs only) so RL is first.

How you can help;

*Spread the word, we should hopefully be up and running by Feb 1st 2013.
*As the website advances in stages, get your (new or old) account setup.
*Start playing and gming games when we get to that stage.
*Donate (but not right now, just something to keep in mind for the future if it's something you'd like to do).
*Volunteer (we're not sure exactly how yet, but when the time comes...)

Thank you for your support! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb

December 27th 2012

We're recruiting volunteers! These volunteers will have website and forum access as well as wiki write privileges. There job will be to help guide our revival and to help test forum and wiki functionality. They'll also be in the ground floor in helping prepare the way for the TI3 community at large to get into the action.

Omega Team; Selected primarily on those who I know that have some experience in the wiki, mostly GMs though not exclusively. Once we have dealt with basic issues they'll be able to start a wiki game and invite three others to join our Alpha Team, this should get 3-5 games started.

Members; Group Administrator, Group Moderator, Grummore, Nehkrimah, sigmazero13, tawnos76.

Alpha Team; Will be invited by the Omega Team and will hopefully get involved in a game, togehter both groups will help to stress test the forums and wiki and help to point out errors, ommisions, and offer suggestions to pave the road for the TI3 community to get involved. We hope that several Alpha Team members will also prepare to start a game to coincide with our opening up to the TI3 community and start another 3-5 games.

Members; TBA

Next On January 20 2013 : Omega Team Site Access.

=-=

I should say that I'm not actively hunting people down, just seeing who offers, I'm happy for anyones help, it just a matter of slotting them in and making sure that things develop in a managable way.

=-=

Expressed Helping; TerTer, beri, bnorton916, YinBro, magicoctopus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ter Ter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear your doing it. Will be finally again a place to play a pbf the easy way

Hm... Interested to now when was last backup as had very fun game going on as GM

If you need help let me now, would like to help and start some games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
3D printing available for service at: http://www.3dhubs.com/los-angeles/hubs/martin-chino
mbmbmbmbmb
You Sir are a gentleman and a game scholar.

It will be great to see it revived.

This is one of the few endeavors I will donate time and money into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ter, the last backup I haven't had a chance to check on yet but it's likely July 2011. Definately will keep you in mind for help, we just don't know exactly what we need yet.

Martin definately looking forward to interacting more with you in game and on the wiki, so many evil plans to enact; I'm thinking you for US President then spending a trillion a year on NASA. heh laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a gentleman and a scholar. I hope I can help this project as it advances!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norton
United States
Seymour
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know if what ways I can help.

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very interesing....

and awesome, don't forget awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Gamache
Canada
St-Arsene
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez, I don't know how you managed that feat, but I've been trying for ages to find a way to contact Lance, without any success to revive it by myself (in a smaller way though).

But now? Geez, thank you! It's better than I would ever have thought!j

Good luck. It's all I can say.

@Matt Epp : Hey, Did you get my email about Stargate (I had started working on a VASSAL module... now I see that hum... It's not completely loss though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
My goodness. If this comes to fruition my life will change.

Good luck in your endeavor, jbaxter!

Ultimate awesomeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb

We'll definately start contacting people to join our Omega Team (GM) test group in early January- this group will only consist of people I know from the past as our security is a concern until we work out the kinks, so continue to post interest!

After we've gone through that initial testing we'll bring in a larger group as each member of our Omega Team will be able to sponsor two people to join our Alpha Team (GM and Players) and then start a couple games for more testing.

Sometime in February we should be able to bring everything online for the general public and the spend the next few months doing improvements to the wiki and site.

All your suggestions are going to be looked at and we'll eventually explore them see what additional improvements and functionality we can do.

=-=

Some things we're looking at are;

Game reporting/player rankings for those interested.

Badges/Ribbons for volunteers. contributers, players, and GMs

Medals for winning games.

Other crazier things like;

Option to have prize games (players contribute something like $2-$20 to a specific game and 1st 2nd and 3rd place finishers get gift certificates. We'll likely integrate that so that we hold fees and the wiki sends out the prizes.

Ways to give props to players for finishing games, and taking over abandoned games. Same thing for GMs. Offer a reliability rating of players so GMs can have an easier time setting up games.

Thank you for your continued support

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so cool. It seems I picked a good time to get into TI3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ter Ter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would like to play test it

Jon Baxter, have a question, will you able to make the prize games as i thinking you should contact FFG and ask if you can do that. As that could be a problem with them, maybe not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TerTer wrote:
Would like to play test it

Jon Baxter, have a question, will you able to make the prize games as i thinking you should contact FFG and ask if you can do that. As that could be a problem with them, maybe not.

In general, cash games on an international site will lead to all manner of legal complications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsidian Tower
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Awesome to hear! Glad to see some familiar names involved. I would be happy to donate once things are to that point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
In regards to 'cash games' (gift certificates), well, they're not gambling, they're competition. Having run conventions and given over $100k in prizes away it's not an issue and that's what the areas Gaming Control Board said.

Having said that we'll give due care before we implement that or anything.

Side note; Santa came early this year and burst a water pipe by my master bedroom, and to think I didn't even have 'insane amounts of extra water' on my Christmas wish list.

Good to see you obsidian, it's been awhile for sure. meeple

Happy Holidays all and we should have another update around new years.

p.s. I know there's private message to respond to, it's just pretty busy around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Gamache
Canada
St-Arsene
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in no hurry, soon to get to some family party!

Take your time to answer your PM (although, answer mine first! laugh )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgbaxter wrote:
In regards to 'cash games' (gift certificates), well, they're not gambling, they're competition. Having run conventions and given over $100k in prizes away it's not an issue and that's what the areas Gaming Control Board said.

Yep, but it all becomes much more complicated when you launch an international site with costumers from all kinds of different jurisdictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael L
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, I've been having withdrawals for ages!

If there's anything I can do to help let me know.

(I was responsible for the new race sheets with inbuilt tech calculators)

-Nehkrimah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
jgbaxter wrote:

Yep, but it all becomes much more complicated when you launch an international site with costumers from all kinds of different jurisdictions.

Indeed, even different cities and municipalities can have different definitions for this; that's why when big companies run promotions, they'll always include the clause "void where prohibited", so that if something is illegal in some area, the contest just doesn't apply
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Dulkal wrote:
jgbaxter wrote:

Indeed, even different cities and municipalities can have different definitions for this; that's why when big companies run promotions, they'll always include the clause "void where prohibited", so that if something is illegal in some area, the contest just doesn't apply

Which, again, is a legal spell that only works in some jurisdictions. In others, a clause that pretty much translates to 'any legal complications are the costumer's problem' tends to go down less well.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's much more complicated than convention contests. My advice would be: Don't. And if you really really have to, don't charge an entrance fee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Amey
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome! I was just getting ready to introduce TI3wiki to some coworkers last year when I noticed the site was down. I've been holding on to a thin thread of hope since then and this is just the Christmas/New Years present I was hoping to see. I feel like Charlie finding the Golden Ticket! I can't wait to try out the new site.
Thanks Jon (and team) for making it a possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi everyone, we're still plugging away at the very basics of the site.

I did finally get through the private messages.

Remember that there's a lot of details to go through in the next few months so please be patient. In the mean time if you have suggestion or thoughts feel free to post here or send me a message.

Everyone hopefully had a holiday so far that's been enjoyable, and I wish you fun times for the rest of your holiday (milk it like a cow!!).

December 27th 2012

We're recruiting volunteers! These volunteers will have website and forum access as well as wiki write privileges. There job will be to help guide our revival and to help test forum and wiki functionality. They'll also be in the ground floor in helping prepare the way for the TI3 community at large to get into the action.

Omega Team; Selected primarily on those who I know that have some experience in the wiki, mostly GMs though not exclusively. Once we have dealt with basic issues they'll be able to start a wiki game and invite three others to join our Alpha Team, this should get 3-5 games started.

Members; Group Administrator, Group Moderator, Grummore, Nehkrimah, sigmazero13, tawnos76.

Alpha Team; Will be invited by the Omega Team and will hopefully get involved in a game, togehter both groups will help to stress test the forums and wiki and help to point out errors, ommisions, and offer suggestions to pave the road for the TI3 community to get involved. We hope that several Alpha Team members will also prepare to start a game to coincide with our opening up to the TI3 community and start another 3-5 games.

Members; TBA

=-=

I should say that I'm not actively hunting people down, just seeing who offers, I'm happy for anyones help, it just a matter of slotting them in and making sure that things develop in a managable way.

Next On January 9 2013 : Omega Team Site Access.

=-=
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grummore wrote:
Geez, I don't know how you managed that feat, but I've been trying for ages to find a way to contact Lance, without any success to revive it by myself (in a smaller way though).

But now? Geez, thank you! It's better than I would ever have thought!j

Good luck. It's all I can say.

@Matt Epp : Hey, Did you get my email about Stargate (I had started working on a VASSAL module... now I see that hum... It's not completely loss though).

yeah, did I not respond to it? thought I did, maybe it didn't go through.

Long story short, I haven't really touched the Stargate version since our last PBF game, and I've not been in touch with Lance at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
I volunteer for Omega or Alpha, whatever is needed. I don't know if you know me jbaxter, but I joined the forums when they were still at the FFG site, and I remember your super ginormous game (I didn't play in it, though). I GM'd maybe a dozen games at the wiki and played in maybe a couple of dozen games.

I'd assume that most of the people who have replied to this thread recognize me as well. ;)

I am a big fan of PsiComa's Shattered Ascension ruleset, if that makes a difference either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.