Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm returning to PoG after many years.

I played PoG intensively for 3 years (2001-2003), both FtF and via ACTS.

Then I stopped to play other wargames.
In 2006 I planned to restart playing PoG but I found a game with new strategies, cards, suggested variants, tournament rules. After I realized I had to re-learn the game I quit the project.
Now at the end of 2012 I'm thinking again to retake in my hands PoG.
I have already seen the 2010 rules.

I have a few questions to the nowadays PoG veterans :
1) are new historical rules the "new accepted standard" ? (I have seen the VASSAL module changes the board to implement them).
2) optional cards are widely used?
3) standard game (no optional/historical rules) is still played by someone?
4) which is the rule set usually used in tournament?
5) does the historical rules really re-balance the game? ( ten years ago the common bid was 2VP to play AP).

thanks in advance!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Australia
Armidale
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
ecz67 wrote:

1) are new historical rules the "new accepted standard" ? (I have seen the VASSAL module changes the board to implement them).
5) does the historical rules really re-balance the game? ( ten years ago the common bid was 2VP to play AP).

thanks in advance!!!

1. I don't think so. Almost all the people I play with (probably around a dozen from time-to-time) prefer the original rules. That may just be the people I play with though (both face-to-face and online). I do, however, hear of people who are active in promoting the historical rules, I'm just not sure how many of them there are.
2. No, rarely used in my experience. When they are it is more of an 'oh, let's give the optional cards a go for a bit of a change' (after which we typically revert to original decks).
3 Stanislaw/Lutsk extra corps is the one rule that is added to just about every game I play.
4. Can't comment on this sorry.
5. Can't comment on this either, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At WBC, they use a different Historical variant, which you can view here:

http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbkex12/pogpge.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the answers.
is there any on-line tournament ?

I'm interested in articles or posts where main changes in the historical rules are analyzed.
any link?
I can understand the rationale behid most of them, but I would go deeper about the VP space changes that (IMO) are the most rilevant update.

thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are periodic PBEM tournaments. Send an e-mail to Pete Reese (his e-mail addess is at the bottom of the page I linked) and ask about when the next one is expected to start.

There is also a site called wargameroom.com that allows real-time on-line play. The interface is a little tricky, but you can play a game in a relatively short time with someone from anywhere in the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An online BPA PBeM tourney is scheduled to begin early next year:

http://www.abovethefields.com/top_pbem/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ecz67 wrote:

1) No. In fact WBC people keep chancing historical variant regularly. So there is not even a consensus what is a good "historical variant"
2) No. They are used very, very rarely.
3) Standard with corps to Stanislaw & Lutsk is still played very much. Wargameroom league online for example uses that.
4) Ever chancing "Historical" (BPA sanctioned tourneys & European BPEM). Corps to Stanislaw & Lutsk only (Wargameroom).
5) Yes they do balance the bid close to 0, but won't change any ahistorialties from the base game. In fact I think it only enchances the ahistoriality ; Thus I usually call it ahistorical scenario or use "historical". I'm much happier with wargamerooms automatic bid of 2 to AP & normal game.

www.wargameroom.com has real time online league
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and more specifically speaking of tactis, what about the guns of august card?
when allowed to not use it, as per basic rules, is a better opening ignore this event as most players did ten years ago?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ecz67 wrote:
when allowed to not use it, as per basic rules, is a better opening ignore this event as most players did ten years ago?

I've always been a GoA player. I recall only Rob Hassard & all the Italians favouring non-GoA back when I started. Currently in wargameroom I don't recall anyone using non-GoA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ecz67 wrote:

The issue is that the CP need to get to Total War more than the AP do (for cards like GE17,18---"Da Bomb".) Taking 2 WS out of play makes it harder to get to Total War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK now that I recall, I did analyze tournament finals year or 2 ago. The fact that I discovered was that all CP tournament final victories have come from eastern front. Playing GoA & going for Treaty has been the key.

Hassard did win one WBC title favoring non-GoA in tourney, but in finals did play AP. Mauro Faina & Sergio Montagner (at least... maybe other italians also... that is why I pair the strategy most with italians) used quite successfully non-GoA... I think top 6? in PBEM tourney. But again no finals victory.

Attacking west is the current hot trend (4 out of 6 players I played at this years WBC used it). It has dropped quite tough players before, but again no tourney victories. Tom Gregorio almost dropped me, by not getting out of mobilization... just hitting & hitting. He also dropped Stefan MeCay a few years ago with it.

Although many have spoken about the liability of Italy to AP, I haven't met any tourney player who uses it as main strategy. In fact near east seems much more a liability for the AP in tourneys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apan Arne
msg tools
What do the CP do the first two turns when he all-ins with Mobilization pressure? What are the key actions, besides moving to Chateu?

Also isn't the historical variant + modifications used in tournments, hence no non-GoA is allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.