Hide
5 Posts

The Battle for Normandy» Forums » General

Subject: Campaign Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Audie Radzvickas
msg tools
Has anyone played a campaign game where the allies won? If so, by what date?

We're starting our second campaign game. The first game lasted until June 14 and by then the allies had shot their wad - the had used up their store of CSPs and had not taken Carentan or Caen and were cleaned out east of the Orne.

We're newcomers to BFN so we'd appreciate any pointers from successful Allied players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way I can see the Allies losing is if they get extremely bad luck rolling weather. I have played a very aggressive German against my Allied opponent, and though I hold a lead in terms of limiting his VP accumulation, he will eventually win the game. We don't play sudden death. If playing sudden death then the Germans have a very good chance to win.

I have my ideas about how to play the Allies but don't really want to publish it at this point. Generally I would be very aggressive with the Allies without using all the supply. I believe the Allies are better able to absorb casualties than the Germans and therefore should not be afraid to attack without air and artillery. The CRT is not very punishing to the attacker.

Maintain the Orne bridgehead at all cost. The best approach to Caen is from the NE. Push at least 2 infantry divisions across the Orne, even if that means just holding the line due N of Caen. Also take out Bayeaux as fast as possible and obstruct the Caen-Bayeaux highway. I prefer to link the American beaches and cut the peninsula before going for St Lo and Cherbourg.

That is generally my approach to playing the Allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, do I know about that! Paraphrasing what you said, the Allies can make a mistake but the Germans can’t. I have far more ideas about how to be the Allies than the Germans. The Allies should attack, attack, attack. Allies need to husband CS for the serious attacks. The idea of CS is to keep the Allies from attacking as much as they would like. Use air to break important German supply line bridges and in multiple places to delay reinforcements (very critical if you are to have early success as the Allies). Funnel reinforcements from Sword onto the other bank of the Orne. Utilize the single unit ZOC defense like the Germans do as it works both ways. Use Naval to wipe out the static artillery and strongpoints because if you don’t, the static artillery may have a nasty surprise for your ships. Keep them out of range if you are not going to attack them. The one advantage the Germans have is artillery attacks at night; one word: nebelwerfer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Maintain the Orne bridgehead at all cost. The best approach to Caen is from the NE

Very interesting...hmmm....cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the campaign game with the Allies winning on the June 15th victory check. The previous victory check saw the Allies almost losing! It was a solo game.

I invested almost everything into the Omaha beach head and that's where a massive breakthrough occurred.

Edit: I was overly aggressive in the German defense by attacking when I clearly should've just pulled back into the hedgerows.

I'll set it up again next June - I hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.