A House Divided» Forums » Rules

Subject: 1st turn, what have I missed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Dobson
United Kingdom
Grange-Over-Sands
flag msg tools
Just got the game and set up the basic scenario (and rules). With the Union going first and two marches I moved two units from Washington and one other into the Bull Run square and battled the single Confederate unit there. The confederates brought in a reinforcement in the second round but even so the union easily won and the road to Richmond was open. I know the Confederates still had a few units left but it looked like the union could easily take Richmond.
Have I missed something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don`t think so and it amazes me that so few people opens the game that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider it every game, but I think it's a high risk-moderate reward opening. If it works, fine but not an immediate game-winner, and Richmond is heavily fortified. If it bombs, Washington is empty, and it's the Confederates' turn. And the Union loses instantly if the Confederates take Washington.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The one and only (but one of two in BGG)
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are not movies or stories; they're vehicles for creative decision making.
badge
"Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade." (Marcel Proust)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd add that it feels historically accurate to me. First Bull Run could have been a quick war winner. Many people at the time expected it to be. Though it didn't happen, it probably could have, if either side had won decisively and pressed forward to the enemy capital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
I'd add that it feels historically accurate to me. First Bull Run could have been a quick war winner. Many people at the time expected it to be. Though it didn't happen, it probably could have, if either side had won decisively and pressed forward to the enemy capital.

As it was, McDowell came, in wargamer terms, within a single die roll of winning the battle. It was a very, very near run thing. Really, he had a decent plan and things came ever so close to working out for him. Until the last few moments before the Union rout began I think the federal army actually had the edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then What?
MagpieGamer wrote:
Just got the game and set up the basic scenario (and rules). With the Union going first and two marches I moved two units from Washington and one other into the Bull Run square and battled the single Confederate unit there. The confederates brought in a reinforcement in the second round but even so the union easily won and the road to Richmond was open. I know the Confederates still had a few units left but it looked like the union could easily take Richmond.
Have I missed something?

Yes, Richmond is rarely taken easily early in the war, and is a tough nut to crack being a permanent entrenchment. Too many times have I seen a horde of Union veterans get slaughtered in an ill-conceived attack on Richmond early in the game. The Confederacy can usually raise enough of a defense to counter the attack. When this happens, the Union ends up essentially back at their start position.

So what did the Bull Run opening get you? It can get you some early promotions, which is helpful. It also causes the Confederacy to be more cautious. It's not without benefit but I think that after I advance and fortify my front line, I'd then turn my attention to the west where it's wide open, and to taking advantage of naval invasions when I get a 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Harbinger
United States
California
flag msg tools
Using the Standard and Standard Optional Rules, I usually use one Union March to move three Militia to Manassas, and one Militia from Canton to Harper's Ferry. That way you can reinforce the battle giving you a five to three ratio overall. It's critical for the Union to take Manassas in order to shield Washington. I haven't seen a game were the South lost after holding Manassas on the first turn.

The Union spends too much effort to take it back, and the Confederates go on the offensive in the West. Once they get past Cairo it's almost impossible to stop them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.