Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Eriksson
Sweden
Sölvesborg
Blekinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive played some games of MoM and I must say that I really enjoy it.
And Im sure my fellow players feel the same.

One little complaint I do have to say that the game feels a little to much linear in that it comes down to the investigators guessing what room to explore first and the clues given to them are pretty much of no use since they can just run around and explore anyways.

What I think I would like is a more story-driven game where the investigators really have to understand and interpret the clues given to them, rather than "You hear a scream coming from the shed just north of you".

One thing im planning on using in my next game is the use of tokens instead of placing cards on the board. This limits the investigators to not knowing exactly where to look.

Do you guys have any other ideas I could implement to make the game more investigative (is that a word?)
Or are there perhaps some homemade scenarios that suits me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what it sounds like, the newest expansion comin out next year is what you are looking for. It sounds like it will be less linear and more open.

Though, there are a few scenarios currently that if the investigators are just wandering aimlessly then they will run out of time before the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
The file section has some exploration tokens you can print out. They really improve the game a lot and I wonder why it didn't ship with them. You place one on each room and then place the cards off to the side. When an investigator enters a room (or tries a door) you flip the token to reveal it's number, which then corresponds to a pile of cards (I put each pile in a large sleeve that has a number on it. Makes for a vastly better play experience. We'll never play without them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cover the map with pieces of scrapbook paper that looks like victorian wallpaper. I used to use a more elaborate system, but setting everything up early and covering the rooms up is much easier (and I think it looks cool).
You could also just throw in extra Nothing of Interest cards if you have expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
There are very few problems with Mansions of Madness to which the solution is not Call of the Wild.

(The primary remaining problems are number of pieces, price tag, and not being Space Alert.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Eriksson
Sweden
Sölvesborg
Blekinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarvis wrote:
From what it sounds like, the newest expansion comin out next year is what you are looking for. It sounds like it will be less linear and more open.

Though, there are a few scenarios currently that if the investigators are just wandering aimlessly then they will run out of time before the end.

Ive been looking at that expansion and it sure does look interesting.
Are there any other games that are heavy on the investigation side?
It doesn't matter if its a horror game, any genre will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
At least three fan made scenarios are strongly oriented toward investigation. The Arctic explorer, the Allsaint Asylum and in the Dark, Dark Wood. They all three belong to the same genre.

Some others are also story driven but to a lesser extent.

If you have arkham horror, you can play the arkham investigations that are clearly strongly story driven. see http://arkhaminvestigation.onlinewebshop.net/

otherwise, I would suggest the roleplaying games ^^

best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.