Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see two ways to interpret the supply movement rule:

"No unit (including non-raiding cavalry) that is in supply may
operationally move or advance after combat so as to end out
of supply"

I would read it that a unit can pass through a hex that places them out of supply during their movement, so long as it doesn't end its move out of supply.

A very experienced player I know would say it is interpreted in two phrases,

1)"No unit (including non-raiding cavalry) that is in supply may
operationally move" [out of supply]

AND

2) "to end out of supply", that is you can't end movement out of supply.

His interpretation would forbid from moving through an out-of-supply hex during movement.

What's the official ruling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I Am
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that it is the hex of arrival that counts.

Advance after combat is only one hex, so it makes no difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The "so as to end out of supply" sure sounds like the ending hex is the relevant one.

It seems that if they intended that no intermediate hex could be out of supply, then they would/should have worded it differently, e.g. "No unit (including non-raiding cavalry) that is in supply may enter any out-of-supply hex during operational movement or advance after combat."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kirsipuu
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly then at he consim forum the designer explained that the unit can move out of supply (during the movement) but has to be in supply when he ends his movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted on Consim and here, but have not gotten an 'official' response. Only another gamer who is certain the opposite is true ... and cites Consim as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kirsipuu
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

At the consim forum Philipp Klarmann asks the following questions (post no 401):

Each individual unit that is in supply at the instant it is going to move may not end its (that) movement OOS. Clear?

Not quite..does that mean it can move one hex into an OOS position and then move further in the next hex into a supplied hex and end its movement. This would be as follows: x-y-x (x stands for a supplied hex and y for an unsupplied hex).

Or is it never allowed to go through a hex that is OOS during its entire movement? (In my terms: only a x-x-x-x... movement is allowed?)

Tom Kassel answers this question (post no 402):

xyx looks just fine.

Game designer Ted Racier confirms this answer (post no 407):

"xyx looks just fine". Just so.

Game desingners post no 416 gives another explanation of this situation:

I confess 10.8 and 12.3 seem pretty clear to me. The only confusion seems to be when you judge whether the unit is currently in supply, and as I've already clarified, you do that when you go to move it. In other words, at the START of its move is it in supply? If so it may not end its move OOS.

Likewise with advance after combat-if it is in supply in its current hex it may not advance if the advance would leave it OOS.

So overall if your unit starts the movement in supply it must end its movement in supply but can move OOS during the same movement. In other words the rule allows a unit to go through OOS hexes so long as it ends up back in supply.

All of this is at the the consim forum: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6ea5f/406

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vargas
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I agree with Martin. The example he cited is the best I've seen. I also found another citation on Consimworld that's more vaguely worded but expresses the same thing. It runs from posts 433 through 435.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6ea5f/438
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if I start in supply, my first hex can be out of supply but my destination hex must be in supply (i.e. x-y-x). This makes the most sense to me, but the rule could be read either way.

Of course, until that pesky Logistics chit shows up, out-of-supply units are your most flexible ... can move and end up anywhere.

Thanks, all. Reds! has held the interest of our club ( www.nycwargames.com ) for a few weeks and I'm pretty sure we'll see it on the table again before too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vargas
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I misunderstood Mike's point. Yes a unit can move out of supply during movement but it can't end either its movement or advance after combat out of supply. For some reason I thought he was saying an in supply unit could end movement out of supply but if it then attacks and advances after combat back into supply it is a valid play. My fault for not listening better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.