Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex H.
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably a question for my fellow native speakers of German:

I own the German edition of Miskatonic. One of the gate cards has an encounter which says something along the following lines:
"Du triffst auf eine Dimensionsspalte aus der Energie in deine Welt quillt. Gib 3 Hinweismarker aus um die Spalte zu schließen oder ... ".

Can anyone explain to me what exactly is meant by "Dimensionsspalte"? It's not a gate, I assume, nor is it a rift from Kingsport. I really could not figure out what that encounter means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alex352 wrote:
This is probably a question for my fellow native speakers of German:

I own the German edition of Miskatonic. One of the gate cards has an encounter which says something along the following lines:
"Du triffst auf eine Dimensionsspalte aus der Energie in deine Welt quillt. Gib 3 Hinweismarker aus um die Spalte zu schließen oder ... ".

Can anyone explain to me what exactly is meant by "Dimensionsspalte"? It's not a gate, I assume, nor is it a rift from Kingsport. I really could not figure out what that encounter means.

Not a native speaker, but I tried to find the card in the English version. Is this an "Other" encounter on a green card marked only with a Miskatonic symbol? It also has encounters from The Underworld and Plateau of Leng?

It says "Magic seems to inherently manipulate your environment in unpredictable ways. If you have 3 or more Spells, this world rejects you completely and you are lost in time and space."

If so, it seems is is just generic "magic" and maybe they got more creative on the translation. But more importantly, it is just flavor and not an actual game term. Put simply, 3+ Spells = LiTaS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Nürnberg
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not the same card, as it tells us about spending 3 clues, and not something about 3 spells.
Nevertheless, the "Dimensionsspalte" is only flavor text. Ignore it.
(Note that I don't own the German copy, but it seems that the rifts from Kongsport are not called Spalten, so it is something else only valid for this card.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brian and Peter.
I'm sorry I could not provide more details as I have my copy roughly 300 miles away from where I currently am. I'm pretty sure it is a card that has only the Miskatonic exp symbol. Also, I think it is green or blue.

Peter is correct, it's not about spells but definitely about clue tokens. I am not convinced the Dimensionsspalten are only flavor text (was my initial guess) because the card goes on making a condition that reads something like "if there are no Dimensionsspalten ...".

I'll look the card up when I get back home Wednesday evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alex352 wrote:
Thanks Brian and Peter.
I'm sorry I could not provide more details as I have my copy roughly 300 miles away from where I currently am. I'm pretty sure it is a card that has only the Miskatonic exp symbol. Also, I think it is green or blue.

Peter is correct, it's not about spells but definitely about clue tokens. I am not convinced the Dimensionsspalten are only flavor text (was my initial guess) because the card goes on making a condition that reads something like "if there are no Dimensionsspalten ...".

I'll look the card up when I get back home Wednesday evening.

Sorry, I just did a google translate and it came back to me in English as "notes." I don't have Miskatonic in my spreadsheet so i couldn't do a quick search and tried scanning each of the cards. Seemed like the one I had fit the sentence structure and had 3 as a cost so I thought I found it.

I'll look again tonight when I have my copy with me again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brian, much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Nürnberg
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, a Dimemsionsspalte can only be a rift. It seems to me that teh German edition was translated by persons who don't know the RPG Call of Cthulhu (2nd - 6th Edition) (I'm thinking of the gate box, that was translated as Schatulle der Tore , whcih means "casket of gates", not as Kastentor, which would have been correct), and maybe even the translators have changed betweeen expansions. So, differnet translations could happen, which is a bad thing when considering game terms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way is shut, and more doors close with each passing eon. If there are four or more elder sign tokens in play, take this card. While you have it, during Upkeep, you must discard a Clue token or 1 Item, if you have either. (errata: the following was not printed in the English version, but was in the French and German versions) Put a Clue on that card for each Item or Clue you discarded. Put that card back in the box when there are 3 Clues on it.

Edit: source : http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Other_(encounters)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
See, that's exactly why I try to never play games in another than their original language whenever possible...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
See, that's exactly why I try to never play games in another than their original language whenever possible...

SoToo many things get lost in translation, just like in dubbed TV shows or movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foksieloy wrote:
The way is shut, and more doors close with each passing eon. If there are four or more elder sign tokens in play, take this card. While you have it, during Upkeep, you must discard a Clue token or 1 Item, if you have either. (errata: the following was not printed in the English version, but was in the French and German versions) Put a Clue on that card for each Item or Clue you discarded. Put that card back in the box when there are 3 Clues on it.

Edit: source : http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Other_(encounters)

No, that's not it.
Again, thanks all for the help, I'll try and post the text on Thursday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue: The Underworld / Lost Carcosa / Other (Dunwich/Kingsport)

Other: You discover a dimensional rift, bleeding macabre energies into your home world. Choose 1 open rift. You must then either discard 3 Clue tokens and close the rift or move to the rift's current location, without gaining an "explored" marker. If no rifts are open, return to Arkham.

So it looks like "Rift" is what is described here. Maybe got a bit artistic with the "dimensional" part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, that's the one!
Thanks for looking this up.
So it is a rift after all... I can understand that translating something like AH is a huge job but I am growing more and more dissatisfied with how Heidelberger Spieleverlag got the job done. I wish I had stuck with my general principle of buying FFG games only in the original english edition. Now, 6 expansions in, it's a bit too late to re-buy everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Nürnberg
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats not a problem specific to Heidelberger. Sometimes, it is in the games itself, when game terms are not properly defined and used, and you can find in AH at various occations (in the original)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pethulhu wrote:
Thats not a problem specific to Heidelberger. Sometimes, it is in the games itself, when game terms are not properly defined and used, and you can find in AH at various occations (in the original)

That's true, of course, but with each additional layer of translations the problem is exacerbated. And Heidelberger has been a frequent offender as far as this goes (IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.