Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Specter
United States
Belmont
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I regularly game with a group of 6, so finding games that will fit us all is a (small) challenge. Luckily a few publishers are stepping up with new games that fit the niche not only of my 6 players, but also of our play style. Weight-wise we tend toward things like Settlers, VivaJava, and Lost Temple. Heavy heavy strategy would not go over well, but a little bit is what we enjoy.

This week I was fortunate to have Article 27, a pure negotiation game that fit our size group. The rulebook is layed out well, and the components are formidable, lots of thick cardboard. And I must say: THAT GAVEL FEELS GOOD! People were just itching to become Secretary General.

I set it all up with one of the other players while the remaining 4 set out the spread of food and herded children to various televisions.

I also have one very touchy player, whose threshold of new game acceptance is particularly high. I had called her earlier it the day to let her know that not only were we going to be playing a new game, but it would be a totally new experience.

Once we are all able to sit down, I explained what was about to happen, and most people got it, even if they could not yet really feel what play would be like. And we were off!

As the first Secretary General, I grabbed the bull by the horns and started negotiating immediately. It did not take long for everyone to catch up and get into the spirit of the game. Everthing happens simultaneously, so it would be impossible to recall who influcenced who for what, but deals were made left and right, favors granted and undone. So there we are, shouting and pointing and passing influence around, and before you know it, 6 rounds are done. Phew! It was intense. And there were 2 vetoes. People were not afraid to use the veto power or to threaten in order to gain influence.

The scores were pretty evenly distributed with the exception of the winner who had 42 points. I finished second with 26. The only frustration there is in that the winner did the least amount of negotiating from what I can tell. She sat back and let people bribe her. That is something that I will not only be on the lookout for in the future, but also can be remedied by making sure we note how much influence is being earned from round to round.

All in all it was an EXCELLENT and UNIQUE experience. Everyone said they were eager to play again. This is definitely a game that will hit the table with my regular group of 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree! An amazing, quick game.

Just out of curiosity, the person with 42, how'd they do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoodley
United Kingdom
Leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played 3 games now, and it comes around at 35 - 45 points for the winner (So far - with standard rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callan Finn
Australia
Sutherland
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoods wrote:
I've played 3 games now, and it comes around at 35 - 45 points for the winner (So far - with standard rules)

I've played two games, first game had 41 points for the winner, second game had 45. And those were 4 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoods wrote:

Note: I'm not asking, woah how'd they get such a high score, I'm asking how they won. What was their strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Specter
United States
Belmont
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That player sat silent and waited to be bribed. I and others never realized she was not giving up any influence to bribe others. Something to watch for to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
So but how'd she ever get points on the issues each round? Typically you only get bribes to vote yes when you're not secretary general.

I'm not saying winning like that isn't possible, but I would submit winning like that isn't because you played well, but because everyone else played poorly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Specter
United States
Belmont
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is entirely possible we all played subpar. That and she got lucky that we passed enough issues that scored for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tsui
Hong Kong
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kamus73 wrote:
And I must say: THAT GAVEL FEELS GOOD! People were just itching to become Secretary General.

Really? Maybe because I bang too much of the gavel back in the University (partly as a device to silence a crowd), I feel its construction is too flimsy. I would prefer a more solid and less elaborate construction which can be really banged on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.