Craig B
United States
Guilderland
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up this expansion from my local game store on Friday. I love the secret room additions, because I love using Tomble as the thief to search everything.

Now the secret room card replaces the "nothing" card in the search deck, having the cards remain at 12 total treasure cards.

The secret room has search tokens based on the number of heroes similar to the rules on how to set up search tokens during the normal rules

These search tokens total 8, 4 with a attribute test and 4 with monsters.

If an attribute is shown when you flip it over, you test it, if you succeed then you pull a treasure card. Awesome!

Here is my concern, which may only ever exist given the right conditions, these conditions are as follows:

4 hero game
Travel phase that allows you to draw search cards (from my memory, this exists)
finding a secret room while searching

So my concern is that, when playing a four player game, there is a potential for 8 search tokens to be had during the two encounters of a quest. Throw in a secret room, that could potential get seeded with 4 attribute test if you are lucky, and if you are lucky to pass all 4 that would be another 4 treasure cards.

Now Tomble as the thief decked out with search capabilities can completely own on searching. I have personally searched all 8 tokens on many quests, because I can.

So if this condition did present itself, albeit a rare one, you would not have enough treasure cards to completely search all the tokens.

How would this be rectified?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
my projects: The Silken Threads Descent Campaign; Dawn of Civilization Mod
mbmbmbmbmb
The treasure deck don't get reshuffled within a quest. Only at the end of the quest it gets reshuffled. If it is empty it stays empty. You may quote me about this since I talked with adam about this.
(also important for appraisal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
krunsH himself
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the heroes manage to get 12 search cards in a single quest i would say running out of search cards is a more than fair way to balance this issue..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're really that worried, keep the Nothing card in the search deck (and maybe even say that it is never discarded).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In other words, if you have searched and collected all 12 treasure cards in one quest, then congratulations, you've earned as much gold as you possible could (quest rewards notwithstanding). I don't think this is a problem, but it would perhaps be a problem if this cap were increased with more search items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.