$10.00
Jeremy K
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would this be very playable expanding the original Thunderstone base set without having the Thuderstone: Advance base set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
I believe Root of Corruption should be quite playable with the base set without Towers of Ruin (although I have not mixed my Thunderstone Advance cards with my Thunderstone cards). There are two design considerations that you might keep in mind.

1) RoC has Leveled Monsters, the original base set does not. By Leveling the Monsters, the weakest Monsters (worth the least VP) are generally Level 1 Monsters and the strongest Monsters (worth the most VP) are generally Level 3 Monsters. On the other hand a Monster Group in the base set has Monsters of varying strength. For instance, the Abyssal group has everything from the weak Grudgebeast to the strong Archduke of Pain. This may not make much difference, but it could be that some Dungeon setups using base set and RoC Monsters may be particularly difficult or particularly easy. This should not inhibit play.

2) Originally, the Trophy symbol designated effects that had to be applied in the Dungeon. In RoC, Trophies are intended to be activated in both the Dungeon and the Village. Again, this small change would not inhibit play; it's just a difference to be aware of.

These are really minor considerations. Beyond some concern with mixing the Monster Groups I can't think of any reason not to mix the two sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
I have thought of 2 more design considerations, neither of which should inhibit game play.

1) Some effects and abilities in RoC refer to Curses. Be aware that Curses are the Diseases that come with ToR. It should be fine to just use the Diseases from the base set instead.

2) In ToR, Battle effects (as seen in the base set) were split into Battle effects and Aftermath effects (to clarify timing). In RoC, Battle effects are observed before determining whether or not the Monster is defeated; Aftermath effects are observed afterward. Generally, Battle effects from the base set are mostly observed afterward as well (unless they affect the Monster's Health or affect the Attack from your hand).

So, for instance, if a Battle effect on an RoC Monster would destroy a Hero, the Hero would be destroyed before potentially defeating the Monster and his Attack would not contribute to your Total Attack.

But, for instance, if a Battle effect on a base set Monster would destroy a Hero, the Hero would be destroyed after determining whether or not the Monster is defeated and his Attack would contribute to your Total Attack. An Aftermath effect would work this way also.

So this last consideration may be confusing at first when mixing base set and RoC Monsters, but ultimately should not inhibit game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.