Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
***also post under the expansion page***

Too bad the expansion is not release before christmas... probably the only time when I'll be able to get 6 players to the table... and in fact I don't want turn anyone down on playing with us... So if they are not online at this moment... What are your thoughs on playing with 6 players without those rules? And implementing fights with more than 2 glads?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harris
United Kingdom
stevenage
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of anything in the mechanics that would obviously break with 6 players. Initial thoughts below.

There are probably not enough starting gladiators and slaves. But as they are all pretty much the same and never going to be part of deck you can just photocopy some extras. You may need to do same for starting guards.

In general guards will be thinned out between players, so players will be more vulnerable to schemes.

Less guards per player will mean Houses that gain advantage from having lots of guards (Glaber) will be weakened.
(There are lots of slaves and gladiators in market so houses that gain advantage from them probably not affected.)

One option to avoid guard thinness would be to have photocopied guard cards. When a player places guard onto table from hand he can exchange for the photocopied ones and shuffle the originals back into deck. This helps there be more guards in the deck to share around.

In terms of multi-gladiator battles is trickier. You can just use existing rules for multiple gladiators and it would work mechanically.
However the problem is that if first and second turn gladiators gang up on third he will probably be too damaged to fight even before he starts turn.
Possible semi-fix is to rule that after an attack, the defender automatically gets free counter-attack against his attacker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combine two games to get enough scheme cards and starting gladiators and slaves. For 6 players, add in about 1/2 the intrigue cards (but don't put two spread cheeks and jupiter's c**k). Make an even distribution of the available other cards. Add in enough starting gladiators and slaves for two more houses. Add in 1/2 of the weapons/armor/specials.

Allow 2 v 1 fights once host is at 3 influence, and 2 v 2 or 3 v 1 once host is at 6. We found free for all not that great for reason mentioned above. 2 v 1 and 3 v 1 allow several weak gladiators to be pitted against a stronger one. You'll have to modify the betting since decaps and injuries will occur more often. I'd suggest reducing to 3:2 and then 1:1 as more gladiators in ring.

Have fun. The above worked for us - using 25% of the cards from a 2nd game for 5 players. We just found putting 2 "spread cheeks" made the game very long. I would also suggest that in team matchups, any gladiator who defeats an opponent gets +1 influence for his house - otherwise you'll have these longer matchups and only 1 influence gets rewarded. The game will drag on a bit long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! Though, I won't buy another game (no money) I will follow your advise!

As for the house who needs guards I'll just have one of it (instead of two) maybe it will help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.