Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: wbc [+] [View All]
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Plan 1: Throw your jersey to the table and assume others will give up

I was a favourite for the title this year in many players opinions, but I hadn't played by the rules the tourney was currently using. So I thought tryinh to get AP & chilling the first game to see how it goes. I did get AP against John Sutcliffe in the first game. John attacked west at the start, but I managed to get Russians to threatening position. John decided to give the pressure up & go for the long game. Now I made my mistakes. I was in my opinion clearly leading the game. I overconfidently did try an autovictory, thus moving my Russians out of defensive position (although I realized that the next logical thing for him was to attack Russia). Also moving Russians delayed the thing I needed: Pressure from the west. Getting autovictory failed. Followed by a lot of failed trench rolls (most crucially Grodno) made the Russians very weak. At the end I was able to launch a strong attack in the west, but it was too late since CP didn't need to advance in the east anymore. so I lost this one.

Plan 2: Beat up kids to regain your confidence

In game 2 I played Alex Gregorio. He had been practicing west assault with his father Tom. Now Alex did bid 0 for CP & got them. I maintained defensive & got Italy early. Italians had a small chance to get through Trent and I lucked out instantly. After that CP had too many points to defend and I won quickly.

Plan 3: Repeat good games & remember to roll well

In game 3 I played Rick Byrens. I got AP again. The game was basically recreation of the last one. Rick attacked west, I managed to hold on & Italians lucked out immediately.

So now I was 2-1 which meaned I had to diceoff my continuation. At the WBC 3-0 players continued to playoffs. The remaining playoff posisitons were filled with random 2-1 players. The reason why they call it diceoff is that every player rolls 5 dice and the highests ones get to continue. I bravely started rolling 16. Duh! Clearly under 17,5... Then next rolled 14... Then next one also 14! Huh? I was in.

Plan 4: I already died 3 times (First game, diceoff & this game), so I might as well begin playing

This time I got Tom Gregorio. Again I got AP. This was not a surprise, since I knew that he had been training west assult. To started assulting very, very aggrissevely west. I had to stall my advance ment to LW by playing Blockade as replacements. Tom on the other hand had no intentions going to LW. He just attacked the french whenever he could. I had managed to play Rape of Belgium, so I eventually did advance to LW. Situation seemed good to me (in my opinion), but then Tom hit a streak of 7 results. I kept thinking that, if I had a pause (something else than 7) I could play RPs and everything would be well again. However the break never came for me. Tom got Paris & points to 20. However the turn was not over so I moved Russians forward and gave me another turn to suffer. At the end of next turn Paris was still occupied, west front had only 1 reduced FR army & 2 reduced GE armies & 1 reduced GE corps, deadpiles were massive for both sides (I think 1 permanently killed GE army at this point). At my AR 6 I again had to move forward or suffer autoloss (thus no RPs fro both sides again). However now I had been playing Russian reinforcements also, so strong Russian army marhed torwards Berlin. Tom managed to defend Berlin for a while, but then had to choose: Lose berlin or Lose huge pile of AH armies. Tom chose to keep Berlin. At the end of the turn Paris was still occupied. CP situation didn't look anything as good as few turns back (when about everyone who saw the game didn't see any chance for the AP - I later heard comments). Now Russians kept the pressure in the east & British from reinforcement cards managed to get Paris back (and GE armies were reduced so they couldn't do zip to reconquer it). With a few permanently lost AH armies, one permanently lost GE army & fast rebuilding west armies CP did raise a white flag.

Plan 5: Revenge must the best plan... didn't count of Monte Cristo prove it?

Semifinals against John Sutcliffe. This time I got CP. I started attacking west. John managed to get a crucial trench there and it seemed like my attack was going to stall. However I managed to good start in the Italy & since the west armies had been damaged a bit I decided to go for it. Italy was in verge of destruction, but john got trench in Rome with the first roll. My first attack against Rome was also not that good, so I decided to start cutting Romes LOC via Naples. However John did manage to get trench to Foggia also with the first roll. Now I could have made it still, if my first attack would have given a big enough result, but it didn't. So I started slowly chancing my focus to the east, first mainly attacking with turks towards Baku. However John did manage to get a trench with CAU army soon. Now I kept adding pressure to the east with all my armies. Now I managed to go through CPs defenses and even the turks got eventually Baku, though with the help of germans & VOn Hutier. Allenby made bit of progress, but was stopped by an army in Nablus. However the progress didn't mean actually much, since by the tourney rules Jerusalem was not a VP space (so actually Allenby got no VPs at all). All in all an excellent game from me. Schoolbook example of chancing fronts.

Plan 6: This is what you trained. Do you need a better plan?

Finals against last years winner Peter Gurneau. Peter did bid 0 for CP and got it. He also did try west assault. I rushed Russians to threaten Berlin and did manage to make a series of very favourable assults against it. However I rolled 1 in 5 first assults against Berlin (during the first 2 or 3 Berlin didn't even have a trench). The situation started to seem grim after almost certain victory in my thoughts. However I was able to grind CP enough to get the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations good AAR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Riku.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Congratulations for the win and thank you for the AAR.

Best regards

Jürg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Paris and opponent got to 20...and you still won?

That is quite impressive. Wish I could have seen that. Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Nice write-up, Riku. Definitely an educational game for me, hopefully I won't make the same mistakes twice. We're destined to meet again...

PS: I've learned the hard way that the standard Wargameroom POG settings are not conducive to my Western Hammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools

Hey Tom

Could you explain this a little further please.
My regular opponent and I are experimenting with the western hammer under WBC conditions and have found that it makes the opening moves a lot more variable just by the threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.