How do you know what's okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traditionally, the value of a Destination Ticket is the length (in cars) of the shortest sequence of Routes that connect the two cities (and/or countries, in some games) named on the Destination Ticket.

I believe that later editions of the original Ticket to Ride revised (downward) the values of some Destination Tickets because they exceeded the value that would have been computed as described in the previous paragraph. (Maybe this was done only in the reissue of the cards in the 1910 expansion.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

The general rule for all previous maps is that ticket points were worth the shortest amount of trains needed to connect the two destinations. For example, if the shortest route from Detroit to London took 12 trains, then the destination ticket of Detroit to London would be worth 12 points.

What's odd here is that most of the tickets are worth more than the number of trains needed, but just 3 are equal and just 2 are actually worth less than the number of trains. There seems to be no formula they used for the tickets (like 1 more point for every 6 trains needed or something) and is either quite an oversight, or perhaps is based off of the colors of the routes needed to make the whole trip. Like if the shortest route of 12 trains between 2 places needed all green cards, then maybe they threw in extra points because of how much you need of one color instead of having more equal distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaboy Green
United States
livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

The general rule for all previous maps is that ticket points were worth the shortest amount of trains needed to connect the two destinations. For example, if the shortest route from Detroit to London took 12 trains, then the destination ticket of Detroit to London would be worth 12 points.

What's odd here is that most of the tickets are worth more than the number of trains needed, but just 3 are equal and just 2 are actually worth less than the number of trains. There seems to be no formula they used for the tickets (like 1 more point for every 6 trains needed or something) and is either quite an oversight, or perhaps is based off of the colors of the routes needed to make the whole trip. Like if the shortest route of 12 trains between 2 places needed all green cards, then maybe they threw in extra points because of how much you need of one color instead of having more equal distribution.

detroit to london now that would be a lonnnng train ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaboy wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

London, Ontario is not that far from Detroit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be on to something DoomTurtle.

Looking at Ujiji to East London (14 11), to take the shortest route (11) requires 7 black cards & 4 blue. I think there are only 12 cards of each color in the deck so that's more than half the black cards required for the 'shortest' path.

Perhaps more importantly, it also involves 2 black routes and 2 blue routes which probably minimizes your ability to double points via that path using terrain cards. I think black & blue are the same terrain type so there is only 1 terrain type card you can use on this whole path which probably reduces the value of using this path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaboy Green
United States
livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
Skaboy wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

tru
but who the heck goes to canada?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Fallenius
Sweden
(södra Älvsborg)
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With this image:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1508071/ticket-to-ride-ma...

Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm a NASPA certified SCRABBLE Director.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
states this:

Quote:
New routes reward those who manage to build the challenging routes through the Heart of Africa.

Could it simply be so, that some routes are too difficult to build, so that they are not worth the effort if the reward is too small? That has happened to me, when I have designed my own maps, and simply adding a couple of points have made the tickets fairer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine P.
France
Paris
Île-de-France
flag msg tools
mb
The Destination Tickets are NOT wrong.

In the Heart of Africa a Ticket’s value no longer necessarily corresponds to the number of trains required for its shortest route.

The formula that was used to calculate the value of each Destination Ticket reflects the number of turns it takes to acquire the cards, and factors in the number of double routes along the way and the different terrain types (remember that you can double the value of each route thanks to the Terrain cards).

Tiberias@DoW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm a NASPA certified SCRABBLE Director.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this map last night and posted my review for anyone who wants to see how the mechanics play out

I think that the OP is mistaken in trying to compare the route values based upon the usual formula. This map introduces the new Terrain Card mechanic that allows players to double the values of their links. The corresponding increase in link points should be matched with a higher value of routes. The routes can be hard to acquire, especially when you note how few ways that there are to make some connections once the costal border routes are blocked. Thus, a lot of this game can come down to scoring points just from playing trains and less from completing routes. However, it also makes an incomplete route more damaging as well.

I think that this new map changes the balancing that players have to do between being bold and trying lots of routes versus going for 2 or 3 routes and building random routes for points. For those who push for more routes there are bigger rewards if they succeed and it will be harder to make those routes on this map than in others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
_Tiberias_ wrote:
The Destination Tickets are NOT wrong.

In the Heart of Africa a Ticket’s value no longer necessarily corresponds to the number of trains required for its shortest route.

The formula that was used to calculate the value of each Destination Ticket reflects the number of turns it takes to acquire the cards, and factors in the number of double routes along the way and the different terrain types (remember that you can double the value of each route thanks to the Terrain cards).

Tiberias@DoW

Precisely. This was done by Alan himself, for very good reasons. You (the OP) should not assume that because a formula was valid for some earlier maps, it should automatically apply to all maps.

Eric @ DoW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Vincent
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see both sides to this one. As a player, I really appreciated the convention of how ticket points were calculated. It helps to evaluate them quickly.

As a designer, I know the convention introduced balance issues. I had to replace several tickets because there were too strong and Legendary Asia adapted the convention to reflect mountains. There's a limit to how many maps can be designed round this before they start to feel too similar.

Personally, I'd want the number of trains needed to complete tickets on the cards too (or the differential). This feels like an important player aid and the table above will be useful for anyone who wants to add that information to their physical cards. When the electronic version is produced, it'd be nice to have an option for displaying the extra information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaboy wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:
Skaboy wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

tru
but who the heck goes to canada?

Well then go to:
London, Ohio, USA
London, Laurel, Kentucky, USA
London, Pope, Arkansas, USA
London, Tulare, Californien, USA
London, Monroe, Michigan 48159, USA
London, Kimble, Texas 76854, USA
London, Freeborn County, Minnesota, USA
London, Monroe, Michigan, USA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.