Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Smith
United States
Capitola
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When firing a smoke round at a spotted hex, occupied or otherwise, I asume that if the ammo limit roll is successful, a smoke counter is simply placed in the target hex. Is this correct or do I also need to roll to hit the target hex?
Seems to me that firing a round into a hexagonal area measuring 100 meters across (as opposed to hitting a vehicle sized object within that area) should automatically hit that area. Speaking of which, is that 100 meters measured between opposite sides of the hexagon or opposite vertices?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Yan
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
You are correct that the smoke counter is simply placed in the target hex.

My assumption is that the 100 m is measured from hex side to hex side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Capitola
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
Other than the ammo limits, the rules for firing smoke rounds don't seem very explicit to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
See section 6.1.4.3.10 of the rules. Smoke occupies the entirety of a hex like all other terrain, fire and barrages. However, smoke is a hindrance it doesn't block line-of-sight. It's an AP or GP modifier. It also affects calling for indirect fire and movement.

Here is the entry in the upcoming rules index for direct fire smoke:

Smoke, Direct Fire: 5.16.2; 6.1.4.3.10; 6.5.1.12 (Observer Hindered); 6.5.1.5; 6.5.2.4; 6.5.4.3; 6.8.4

The entry in bold, is classified as the primary section in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Capitola
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mongoose27 wrote:
See section 6.1.4.3.10 of the rules. Smoke occupies the entirety of a hex like all other terrain, fire and barrages. However, smoke is a hindrance it doesn't block line-of-sight. It's an AP or GP modifier. It also affects calling for indirect fire and movement.

Here is the entry in the upcoming rules index for direct fire smoke:

Smoke, Direct Fire: 5.16.2; 6.1.4.3.10; 6.5.1.12 (Observer Hindered); 6.5.1.5; 6.5.2.4; 6.5.4.3; 6.8.4

The entry in bold, is classified as the primary section in the rules.

Right. I guess my issue is that I couldn't find a phrase that says something along the lines of

Quote:
When direct firing a smoke round, make an ammo limit roll. If the roll is successful, simply place a smoke counter in the target hex. No other roll is necessary.

This is how I've been playing it. I suppose it should be obvious, but I wanted to double check to make sure I had made the right assumption.

In general the rules are very thorough, but because some topics are broken up into different sections of the rules, sometimes it's hard to find a rule that I vaguely remember reading but want to recheck to clarify. So I'm extremely happy to hear that an index will be included in the upcoming version of the living rules. That should resolve any issue I have with how the rules are organized.

Thanks for the response Jim!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.