Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Luckus
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I picked up a copy of this game after watching Tabletop (props to Geek and Sundry). It struck me as a game my 8 year old could get into. I was right. I have had this game for a couple months now. My daughter and I have played a number of times and enjoy it every time. Personally, co-op games seem to be a good starting point for children into gaming.

The game itself is not overly complicated but still fun. The palying surface is circular area on a board. This circle is broken into 3 sectors colored red, green and blue. These sectors are further divided into 2 more sectors. Each of the sectors are then numbered 1-6. There are 4 rings surrounding a center point. The center point gets 5 walls and 6 towers. the 4 surrounding rings are divided into (starting from the outside)the forest, archer, knight, and swordsman. The forest is where monsters spawn and cannot be attacked.

Players are dealt a hand of cards from a deck. These cards can be any combination of color and fighter. These are played to attack monsters.

The Monsters are nicely done. they are on a triangular token. Monsters have 1, 2, or 3 hit points. The numbers are at the points of the token and are rotated to show a loss. This is a nice mechanic. In addition there are boss monsters that have special powers, boulders, and other special monster tokens that mess with players.

Play sequence is 1) draw up to hand limit, 2) Trade cards with other players; 3) discard and redraw a card; 4) Attack (FUN); 5) Move monsters up one ring; 6) Draw and resolve 3 monster tokens.

The rules and game play are easy enough for younger children to understand. I would say from age 7 children should be able to play with an adult. Being a co-operative game, an adult would be able to suggest and guide the child through games. Eventually, they will pick up on strategy and game flow until they are running their turns more on their own.

My daughter has gotten use to the types of cards and know how to plan ahead for what monster will be on what ring on whose turn (a mouthful), then trade cards accordingly. At current, I think the game has won more times than we have. Even with that record, my daughter still loves to play. She finds it fun to build walls and yes, remove them. Even a killer loss is fun. It is possible to determine a winner in the game. the rules state that the player who slayed the most monsters is the "Master Slayer". This is, of course, contingent on defeating all the monsters in the game before they destroy all six of your towers (the winning condition).

This is a fun family game and a good intro to gaming. If you have younger children who like to play games with you, get this game. Feel free to contact me through BGG if you have any questions related to game and children.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Bishopville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great family co-op, especially for trying to get people into the hobby. The Wizards Tower expansion really adds to the game, also. This is the game that really started to get my wife and daughter interested in playing games with me (other than the typical "Casual" staples like Uno, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter plays this game with us (she's 10) and she loves every minute of it! Really easy to explain and get into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our kids (now 11 and almost 10) have been playing this game for some time and both love it. It's a great cooperative game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.