Subject: Hunt for the old edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Rotschield
Israel
Bat Yam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an owner of the original plus all of the expansions i have to say i realy hate the new edition.
My advice for everyone considering the bew edition - if you have an extra penny in your pocket, pick up the original edition at ebay .
In a game such as this , there is an extra value in the smell and look of old, non-gloss no-color paper.
for me , the so called upgrades made to this edition are a major turn off.
why couldnt they just make an extra effort and come up with a new product (i.e new cases) instead of regurgitating this already near-perfect product ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ani
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen the older edition. How is it different and what is that you like about it more?
I bought the new edition because I loved the idea of the game. I have yet to play it (maybe I'll get a chance tonight). The only artistic/graphic issue I have at first glance is the choice of paper and font. I'm young, I don't need glasses, but my goodness is it hard to read that italic font on the parchement-like background. in bright light I feel my eyes straining to read. Of course, this won't stop me from playing, but I wonder if someone with poor eyesight would have a problem with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Henninger
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for one, the older edition and at least some of the expansions use the original Sidney Paget illustrations from the stories. Whole different feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original American edition came in a three ring binder with pockets for for the map, issues of the Times, and the case books. The binder is for the leads.

The original strives for a Victorian feel, especially with the Sidney Paget illustrations, but the content appears to be in Courier or another typewriter-type font. It was good for its day and holds up well.

All the original material is OOP.

I like the presentation of the new game, too. More importantly, I'm glad it's available and hope to see the expansions in English soon. I also agree with the earlier poster that better font choices would have helped. But I'm glad there is a new edition available, warts and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Henninger
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree Brady. Grateful for the new edition as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am supposed to be getting the new edition in the mail today, if FedEx taracking is accurate.

I was given the old version by a friendly BGG user but am looking forward to the new version because I don't think I'll ever get to see the original expansions without spending a bundle on them. I considered re-buying the game as a vote for them to keep producing the line. (But I do wish they used the Paget illustrations)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, most of the expansions are not that pricey (Adventures by Gaslight routinely goes for $50+, but it was not done by the original designers and is not as good).

Set up a saved search on e-Bay and be patient. You'll find nice copies of Mansion Murders going for ~$10 + shipping, Queen's Park and West End going for ~$20 + shipping.

It'll take a few months but you'll end up with them at good prices. Chances are you wouldn't play through them all in those months anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lowe
United Kingdom
Waterlooville
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we played we were grateful for the hard to read font. Pretty much zero chance of reading an section other than the one we were meant to be reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richlowe32 wrote:
When we played we were grateful for the hard to read font. Pretty much zero chance of reading an section other than the one we were meant to be reading.

Hmm: I never thought of that! Very good point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.