Subject: Obstacle/puzzle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Christensen
Denmark
Århus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When an investigator solves a puzzle, does he/she explore the cards below right away in the same action? - Or does it work like the locked doors, I was just wondering..
Thats how we play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Foxhole wrote:
When an investigator solves a puzzle, does he/she explore the cards below right away in the same action? - Or does it work like the locked doors, I was just wondering..
Thats how we play it.

Yes, they continue to explore immediately.

But what do you mean by "or does it work like locked doors"? The investigator does not have to stop after passing through a locked door, so it is essentially the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaEv DaLi
Sweden
flag msg tools
You attempting to solve the puzzle by exploring the room, so when the top card is resolved (i.e. the puzzle is solved), you continue on "exploring" the next card.

The same would work if someone has dropped items in an unexplored room. Picking up the dropped items is done by exploring the room, so when the top cards (the dropped items) are "resolved", you continue on exploring the rest of the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Christensen
Denmark
Århus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Foxhole wrote:
Thats how we play it.

But what do you mean by "or does it work like locked doors"? The investigator does not have to stop after passing through a locked door, so it is essentially the same.

What I meant was, you use a movement to get into the locked door, and if you have the key you discard the lock card, but after that, you need to use an explore action to explore the cards under the lock card.
- So my thoughts were if you have to do the "same" with the obstacle cards, like use an action to solve the puzzle and discard, and afterwards use another action to explore. I know it's not completely the same, because you only use a movement to get into locked doors. I just had my doubts about it, but I guess we are playing it the right way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Foxhole wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Foxhole wrote:
Thats how we play it.

What I meant was, you use a movement to get into the locked door, and if you have the key you discard the lock card, but after that, you need to use an explore action to explore the cards under the lock card.
- So my thoughts were if you have to do the "same" with the obstacle cards, like use an action to solve the puzzle and discard, and afterwards use another action to explore. I know it's not completely the same, because you only use a movement to get into locked doors. I just had my doubts about it, but I guess we are playing it the right way

Yes. There is no "solve puzzle" action, or "reveal obstacle" action. There is only the explore action, and one is enough to explore all the cards in a room, including any obstacles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
(Aside: a few puzzles are attempted neither by attempting to move through a door nor by attempting to explore a room. Usually, these are on "win by solving this puzzle" objectives, and attempting them falls under the Card Ability action type, with the objective being the card that gives you the ability to attempt them. And then there's the special case of Rune Puzzle 8 in the Yellow Sign, which often happens during the keeper's turn and isn't even part of any action at all...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike A
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
The rule is that the puzzle interrupts whatever was being done, and if you successfully solve the puzzle you get to continue whatever you were doing.

So, if there's a puzzle on a door you encounter the puzzle when you're moving into the room and trying to solve it counts as a move. If you solve it, you successfully move into the room and then need to spend an action to explore the room's contents and get any other cards that might be in that room.

If there's a puzzle in a room you spend an action to solve and then get to explore if you succeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.