$10.00
Anthony Pham
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So with this expansion, I'm wondering if there's now enough stuff to allow for 6-7 players?

Any signs from FFG that they'll release a 6-7 player version of the rules?

My gaming group usually has 6 players, sometimes 7, and hate to leave the odd guy out on gaming nights, it's one of the reasons why I haven't bought into descent 2nd edition.

I was thinking that, instead of creating a lot of odd rules to remember, another way to do things is to create a set of components that use the game's natural scaling to go up to 6-7 players.

I don't know how this version scales, but I recall some cards list the number of players and shows the effects.

New campaigns can be made factoring in large player groups, often having multiple objectives in different areas of the map, players must decide what they're going after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like the biggest problem you'd have is with the number of monsters. You'd have to use proxies, and even then, it's not obvious how many of each type of monster you'd use for five or six heroes.

One of the simplest fan variants for six is to just have two players on the Overlord side. I don't know what you could do for seven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, no, the expansion doesn't make it any easier for you to create a 6-7 player variant. You can, as you expressed, come up with your own way of adding more monsters and so forth, but I think you'll find that making small changes will lead to big differences. You'll have a bunch of Descent components, but are you really playing Descent anymore?

I would think that there are plenty of other games that scale well to 7 players: Race for the Galaxy (my favorite), 7 Wonders, etc. You'd probably have more fun. I would think that 7 players would bog the game down and people would drop out/come and go. Playing a campaign of Descent is, after all, the most enjoyment, and it takes a LONG time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanigan wrote:
So with this expansion, I'm wondering if there's now enough stuff to allow for 6-7 players?

My gaming group usually has 6 players, sometimes 7, and hate to leave the odd guy out on gaming nights, it's one of the reasons why I haven't bought into descent 2nd edition.

I was thinking that, instead of creating a lot of odd rules to remember, another way to do things is to create a set of components that use the game's natural scaling to go up to 6-7 players.

I don't know how this version scales, but I recall some cards list the number of players and shows the effects.

New campaigns can be made factoring in large player groups, often having multiple objectives in different areas of the map, players must decide what they're going after.

Why does this expansion open things up particularly for 6-7 players? You already had 8 class decks in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
Vanigan wrote:

No, there isn't. They haven't given us new "hero tokens" for 5-6 hero players, nor have they included any rules for multiple OL players.

As Bleached already mentioned, there were already components for 8 heroes in the core box (barring the "hero tokens" above.)

Vanigan wrote:

Nope. I doubt they will, either. 1E was 5 players for the life of it's run, so I see no reason why 2E would change that now if they didn't do it in the core box.

The scaling mechanics in 2E are better than in 1E, but they still aren't great. At the end of the day, nothing really properly accounts for the extra actions (ie: attacks) that more hero figures provide to the hero team.

Vanigan wrote:

If that's the problem, Descent probably won't work for your group. Unless you want to build your own 6-7 player variant, of course. Probably a lot of work before the game would be playable.

Vanigan wrote:

This would have been easier to do in 1E than in 2E. In 2E the "natural scaling" mechanic involves adding more monsters per monster group. But the game only comes with enough monsters to support up to 4 heroes, so you'd need to use proxies.

Vanigan wrote:

Very true. It's also true that making new quests is the single biggest task for adding new content to Descent. Probably easier than mucking about with house rules to use the existing quests with that many heroes (you'll still need a few house rules, but hopefully not too many.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
After thinking on it more, I feel like some of the quests would be incredibly cluttered with any sort of 7-player variant.

For instance, the group limits for Shadow Dragons are as follows:
2 Heroes: 1 Minion
3 Heroes: 1 Master
4 Heroes: 1 Minion and 1 Master
5 Heroes: 2 Masters?
6 Heroes: 2 Minions and 1 Master?

By the time you get to six heroes, you would necessarily need three Shadow Dragon figures (if you keep scaling up the group sizes), which would have a footprint of 18 squares. Considering the size of some maps, this could force unreasonable spawning where a Shadow Dragon ends up half the map away from where it should have started simply because there's not enough room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I created a variant with more than one OL player with the extra OL players using heroes:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/839692/anti-hero-variant-all...

The RedEye also got a 6/7 player variant:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/839550/redeyes-67-player-var...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our group (on our 4th campaign) recently added a 5th hero, so we now have six players. It's working okay and we're still tinkering with it, but here's the basic rules:

1. Any 3 heroes take their turn first.

2. OL does "start of turn" effects and activates any one monster group.

3. Remaining 2 heroes take their turn.

4. OL finishes up his turn with his remaining monster groups and all "end of turn" effects.

Our OL gives bonus HP (usually double) to all his starting monsters but he then reduces them to their "card-printed" HP if they come in again as reinforcements. It's fairly easy to keep track of this.

So far it's working okay and we've continued to have close battles.

Also BTW we have two thieves, so we're not restricting players in any way. The OL also allows players to switch heroes; in some circumstances (i.e., hero death in certain encounters) he even requires a switch.

We're doing fine with six players. We probably wouldn't go to seven.

EDIT: to answer your OP, we have the expansion also and we're slowly working it into our game; definitely recommended, more is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.