Sean King
United States
Stevenson
Washington
flag msg tools
Northern Gamer Archeology
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

People's opinion how does Panzer compare to Lock n Load?

I know one is kind of geared towards infantry/squads while this seem to be more towards armour just curious how they rate against each other.

Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I haven't played Lock n Load.

I have no particular desire to play Lock n Load, from the reviews I've read of it.

I love Panzer. It is much simpler than say Advanced Squad Leader and plays faster, with vastly more realistic tank combat. It is much more accurate and a much more polished system than say the Panzer Grenadier series from Avalanche Press.

I could compare it with Conflict of Heroes, instead, having played that a fair amount (though not as much as Squad Leader). Conflict of Heroes is much more infantry focused and move order focused. Panzer feels like it handles larger fights better. Conflict is fine and fun for small unit infantry actions, but its armor rules are rough by comparison.

Both of those are more modern, well thought out, and playable game designs than older wargame systems. One might argue that Squad Leader has more detail (certainly than Conflict of Heroes), but it is vastly less playable, with a much steeper learning curve etc.

Your Mileage May Vary, one man's opinion, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples and oranges. Both are fruit (tactical games at the individual vehicle/squad level). The Lock 'N Load HEROES series is aimed at infantry combat with a strong story-telling element. PANZER is aimed at the AFV hardware nut but does a good job in simulating its subject. What do you want out of your tactical game?

Graphically, I think the LNL games are better looking if not quite as functional (I hate glossy map boards and counters that come in the LNL games). But the gameplay experience more than makes up for that. The LNL games are also well supported, particularly in the LINE OF FIRE magazines that Mark Walker puts out. I'm sure PANZER will get much the same treatment in GMT's C3I magazine over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples and oranges. Both are fruit (tactical games at the individual vehicle/squad level). The Lock 'N Load HEROES series is aimed at infantry combat with a strong story-telling element. PANZER is aimed at the AFV hardware nut but does a good job in simulating its subject. What do you want out of your tactical game?

Graphically, I think the LNL games are better looking if not quite as functional (I hate glossy map boards and counters that come in the LNL games). But the gameplay experience more than makes up for that. The LNL games are also well supported, particularly in the LINE OF FIRE magazines that Mark Walker puts out. I'm sure PANZER will get much the same treatment in GMT's C3I magazine over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean King
United States
Stevenson
Washington
flag msg tools
Northern Gamer Archeology
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I have all the Lock n Load Modules but have yet had a chance to play it.

There are people up here in Alaska that do but hard to get schedules to mesh.

I hope to learn and get some games in during the Lock n Load convention in Seattle during Feb.

But I like the idea of armour type games and it seems to have good feedback.

Thanks for the info.

Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not even close.
Lock n Load is a joke, a toy.
Does not compare to the Panzer system, which is closest to a pure simulation we can get with paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
I play to make my own history.
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally different scales.

Both are chit-heavy which is my only gripe, but you get no sense of armored maneuver with Lock and Load as you do with Panzer.

Btw though I love the LnL map art - its vehicular art is not to comparative scale as it is with Panzer. A very nice touch by the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.