Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C M
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine in Europe and I would like to start a PBEM game of Panzer on VASSAL. I am pretty new to Panzer and have never used VASSAL, so I have a few questions.

1. I own Panzer, my friend does not. Does the VASSAL module come with all the required unit data cards and play aids, or do I have to share my physical copies with him to support play?

2. I have no experience with PBEM. I understand you record your actions in a log file and send this at completion via email. I was wondering how you guys handle the more interactive parts of the game, especially moving or firing when a possibility for overwatch fire exists. Is there any general advice regarding the use of PBEM or more specifically any experience how to best handle this in Panzer?

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doane
United States
Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. I own Panzer, my friend does not. Does the VASSAL module come with all the required unit data cards and play aids, or do I have to share my physical copies with him to support play?

Yes, the data cards as well as player aid cards A-D are included.

Quote:
2. I have no experience with PBEM. I understand you record your actions in a log file and send this at completion via email. I was wondering how you guys handle the more interactive parts of the game, especially moving or firing when a possibility for overwatch fire exists. Is there any general advice regarding the use of PBEM or more specifically any experience how to best handle this in Panzer?

Usually it works something like this: The moving player starts a logfile and then moves all of his units one by one. He sends that file to his opponent, who opens it up, starts his own logfile, then plays through the original logfile one step at a time. If he decides to use opportunity fire, he interrupts the playback of the move and resolves his shot, then continues stepping through the move. When he gets to the end, he saves it and sends the completed logfile back to the moving player to let him see the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob, many thanks. I have started to try out VASSAL, but there are a few things I am not yet clear on. If I do as you describe, the unit that I shot at will still continue to move when I continue to play the log file. Let's say I get a track hit. Do I then move the opponents unit back myself, so that when he opens the log file, his hit unit will be in the correct position?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doane
United States
Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think most people would handle it that way. Some players might like to just include a note that says, "I hit unit x here so make sure to move him back to that location before you continue moving." But there really is no one "right" way to handle the PBEM sequence. It's just whatever you and your opponents are comfortable with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Rob. I just realized that you are the owner of the module. Many thanks for your efforts, it is very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.