Crokinole» Forums » General

Subject: Clear Acrylic Crokinole rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A. Boggs
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I posted a couple pictures in the gallery, but I thought I would show the rest here. I built this for a friend of mine. The base and board are 1/2" acrylic and the outer ring is 1/4" thick, bent around the base and glued. The posts were 3/8" acrylic rods.

It was a challenge to build and I don't think I would want to build another. The router lines "frosted" the acrylic so you you can see them better.

I made the base the same as my wooden boards, an octagon that is then cut into a circle. I went back and forth over the center of the octagon, in that is should be turned into a circle as well. This would have reduced the surface area for the glue to act. If I were to do another, I may try to round out he center.

The 20 hole was filled with a piece that I had rounded and polished. It now looks like a magnifying glass.

The only upside of doing it this way was that I did not have to build up a surface with polyacrylic, it was done for me.

Just something different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nathan Spencer
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AMBoggs wrote:
I built this for a friend of mine.

Um, can I be your friend?

The board looks stunning. Well done!

How does it play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could mass market these with a sleeve on the back to put pictures of kittens and kiddos. I can see it in the Snapfish product catalog already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Boggs
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
xitoliv wrote:
AMBoggs wrote:
I built this for a friend of mine.

Um, can I be your friend?

The board looks stunning. Well done!

How does it play?

Well he paid for materials, it wasn't cheap.

Unwaxed it plays weird. The acrylic's coefficient of static friction is such that it grabs the pieces to a sudden stop. It might make for an interesting game.

Waxed, it plays similar to a wooden board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Boggs
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
furtherbum wrote:
You could mass market these with a sleeve on the back to put pictures of kittens and kiddos. I can see it in the Snapfish product catalog already.

Another friend suggested a fish tank.

The acylic is cost prohibitive, it would have to be some high roller crokinole players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tater Salad
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't get over how good this came out. I wondered how the base showing through would look, but I rather like seeing the lines of the octagon.

No, I'm not the mystery friend, but AMBoggs did build my board and I will hopefully get to crush the new owner mercilessly on his new toy this weekend.

Now we just have to convince AMBoggs to turn this into a side business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting....

Does the wax show or is it clear as well?
Do you think there would be a problem with major scratching from the disks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Needs LEDs around the edge of the board (or maybe under the pins) so that the frosted lines pick up the light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Boggs
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Nazhuret wrote:
Interesting....

Does the wax show or is it clear as well?
Do you think there would be a problem with major scratching from the disks?

The wax is clear.

I think as long as it is waxed, scratching would be minimal. Even scratches that get put into would be easily removed with Novus 3 or Novus 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Boggs
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
abrannan wrote:
Needs LEDs around the edge of the board (or maybe under the pins) so that the frosted lines pick up the light.

If I had a good way to hide the wires, I could do it. Maybe some really thin wires with a clear coating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tater Salad
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:

That would be awesome. The board would need some area then that hides the ugly bit of the LEDs (wire, power source, etc). Though maybe a small battery powered LED puck that you just set under the center hole might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AMBoggs wrote:
abrannan wrote:

If I had a good way to hide the wires, I could do it. Maybe some really thin wires with a clear coating.

Run two thin strips of copper or aluminium around the outside as "trim rings" that also carry electricity to the LEDs, perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.