Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
What do you talk about? In your group does everyone seem to play in silence unless they need to do commerce? I'm curious how the game plays with 5-7, when you're not aware of what others are doing. In Dominion you can get a sense of what people are buying since it goes one at a time. But with simultaneous play and larger groups, the multiplayer solitaire aspect becomes more glaring. Have you played where once everyones played their card, they take turns saying what they've built?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRonimo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost every time I've played, there has been at least one new player in the group.
But even when there isn't, we tend to make announcements of what we're playing, how much money we are paying to whom (or to the bank), etc, as a matter of courtesy. Especially with things that can happen with Leaders, Guilds, and Cities, this helps people figure out the state of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

At 6-7 players it starts to feel like two or three separate games. In a four or three player game you have a good sense of where you each player stands. It feels less so with more players because there is so much going on...not to mention there are players with wonders waaay across the table with boards you may have more difficulty seeing. With more players I find there is more chatter is well. Which is good sometimes and at other times not so good. Depends on the crowd but I get that goes for every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
monawhat wrote:
What do you talk about? In your group does everyone seem to play in silence unless they need to do commerce? I'm curious how the game plays with 5-7, when you're not aware of what others are doing. In Dominion you can get a sense of what people are buying since it goes one at a time. But with simultaneous play and larger groups, the multiplayer solitaire aspect becomes more glaring. Have you played where once everyones played their card, they take turns saying what they've built?

Talking is usually saved for when cards are played, what they are, and how you're paying for them.

We will also tell players when we make a play that affects them like making them pay money or if the play would have an unusual affect it is customary to announce the play such as gaining a peace token from the cities expansion (though if a player isn't paying attention and misses the announcement it is their own fault).

As for other things people say we will not instruct players on how they should play BUT if pointing out a objective detail that a player might have over looked just so happens to be to my benefit devil...

For instance I will always point out a player collecting science (other than me) so all the other players are aware they too need to keep a watchful eye on him and I get some help slowing him down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play with my wife so my talking consists of one of the following:

A) Yes dear.
B) I am sorry.
C) Sometimes I can't tell when it is going to happen.
D) No, I really am sorry.
E) All of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice one, Stephen. laugh

I like having everyone announce what they are building, but it might get too slow with 6-7 people going around and saying their actions.

It's because I feel that players may want to conceal their actions. Sometimes you want to hide your science route, even if its right there in front of your board. Many of my friends are still caught off guard in the middle of an age. "When did you get that military card?" and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRonimo!
mbmbmbmbmb
monawhat wrote:
I like having everyone announce what they are building, but it might get too slow with 6-7 people going around and saying their actions.

It's because I feel that players may want to conceal their actions. Sometimes you want to hide your science route, even if its right there in front of your board. Many of my friends are still caught off guard in the middle of an age. "When did you get that military card?" and so on.

This shouldn't be a game where you win by obfuscating what you're doing. All the data is on the table, and should be; the only hidden information is what is in the hands of cards that aren't currently in front of you.
Not sure if opinion or designer intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contigo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Almost every time I've played, there has been at least one new player in the group.
But even when there isn't, we tend to make announcements of what we're playing, how much money we are paying to whom (or to the bank), etc, as a matter of courtesy.

Though usually I don't look at what's happening across the table, which does make it somewhat of a surprise at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Awesome
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are generally talking quite a lot during games, when everybody play their cards we usually take a round of announcements of how each player use their cards and any transactions between players in coins or whathaveyou.

After the final scoring we try to analyze why someone won, what our most points came from in the game (wow, you had a lot of green cards, but that was prett much all you had so you lost by two points!) and stuff like that to try and become more competetive with each other.

The game is brilliant since what you descide to pick up (or what you decide not to pick up) affects a lot of people. The game plays best with four in my experience since it gets more personal, not only with your neighbour but also with your crosstable "ally" if you expand your mind and see what he/she can benefit from.

Without talking it would feel a bit too cold, at least in my opinion. There is nothing more rewarding than shouting "I cant belive you guys let me have this card last pick!!!" And then proceed winning the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're pretty quiet normally. If one player passes another player a hand of cards with something REALLY good for the player after them, they'll usually declare "hey, you need to bury that card on top before X gets it!" or something to that effect. Sometimes when we hand someone a hand with an obvious build for them we'll let them know "hey, they card you want to build is on top," usually accompanied by a chuckle.

In Seven Blunders, on the other hand, I don't think a single turn can progress without someone uttering at least one expletive. Sometimes a string of them. Sometimes everyone. It's awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play this game a lot and talk a lot, when we are passing cards, looking at cards paying each other, pretty much during everything that happens in the game.
The fact that we know the game inside and out prevents us from having to put alot of thought into each turn, so yeah we talk more during this game than any other.

I will try to remember to let you know how we talk when we try blunders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kleinenenten kleinenenten
msg tools
mb
I played for the first time last night, and no one talked. We did say what we built, who we paid for resources etc., but other than the strict gameplay business, we said pretty much nothing. It's actually a critique of mine for the game. The mechanics seemed rock solid, and it's simple enough to get the hang of, but I prefer a little more interaction in my games. My friend (who owns the game) seemed almost offended when I said there wasn't much interaction. To me, just giving someone money for their stuff isn't interaction, though, yes, I do understand that technically, I am interacting with you. But there's no back and forth, you have no chance to say no, or to not let me use a resource, or to make me pay more etc. Maybe it's about subtlety in this game, but I prefer a bit more action for lack of a better term. You know, direct interaction, like sizing up your opponent while bidding in Power Grid, or really making someone pay for resources in Catan. I'm not saying I won't play the game again, I did enjoy it a good deal. But it was one I'd been thinking of buying, and now I'm not so sure, especially since one of my gaming buddies now owns it. I guess I just want more of a social aspect when I'm playing a game, and not a group solitaire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.