Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry White
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
What is the difference between Suppression ON an OFF?.....

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Slaughter
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a unit is suppressed, place the "Suppressed ON" marker on it. At end-of-turn, remove "Suppression OFF" markers, and turn remaining ON markers to OFF.

Don't have the rulebook handy to quote chapter-and-verse, but other markers like smoke work the same way.

And there are things like further suppressive fire that turn OFF markers back to ON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry White
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
I think I got the answer by re-reading the rules several time now....there is no difference....just reflects the amount of time that it takes a unit to recover from suppression....A suppressed unit (suppression on) is changed to suppression off at the end of the turn (Adjust/Remove Suppression Step)...then, unless the unit comes under fire and is suppressed again, the suppression marker is removed at the end of the next turn (Adjust/Remove Suppression Step). Sometimes I am just too thick headed to get the rule unless I re-read it a number of times....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the suppression off marker is not automatically removed.

To remove a suppression marker, the unit has to successfully rally, basically. If it had no orders for the whole previous turn as was not fired upon in any way, it has a 50% chance of rallying to unsuppressed. Any kind of incoming fire make it 10% harder, and any order makes it 20% harder - both combined will reduce the chance of rally to just 20%.

The meaning of "suppression on" is that the unit cannot even attempt to rally. It just got suppressed, it cannot rally at the end of that game turn, but only at the end of the next.

Note that you do not need any rally roll to turn a "suppression on" marker to the "suppression off" position - that is automatic if nothing newly inflicted "suppression on" on the unit that turn. But you do need a successful rally roll to remove a suppression off marker, to get all the way back to "good order".

If you inflict a new suppression result on a unit, you will turn its suppression counter back to the "suppression on" position, and prevent it from even attempting to rally. Notice that the rally attempt happens before the adjustment step, that is what enforces this aspect of the "suppression on", meaning. It might have been easy to miss because its effect comes only from the sequencing. You can only *try* to rally, if you are already in the "suppression off" position *when* the rally phase comes along.

So, if you hit a unit and suppress it, then stop firing at it and it does nothing, it will have to sit still for on average 2 turns (half chance per turn of rally) to become unsuppressed. If you keep getting fresh suppression results on it every turn, it will *never* rally. If you fire at it and miss, you will still reduce its rally chances 10% that turn.

Note that suppressed units can still move, but at half speed. They can still fire, but at substantial penalties to hit anything, on both the AP fire and the GP combat tables. And if they have any order marker but "no command", their rally roll (if they get one) has a 20% penalty.

I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry White
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Jason: I missed that (6.8.3) - know I read it but did not impact me as it should have....if a seasoned unit is suppressed/off then its Sup'd Recvy value is 01-60 plus any modifier from the Suppression Recovery table that apply (+20 or +10) (I don't see any other modifiers - am I correct?)....if the unit is suppressed/on then the only thing that can happen is that it changes to suppressed/off (automatic)....it still takes a minimum of two full turns (and can take much longer) to become unsuppressed and there is no difference in combat/movement/spotting effects between the suppression/on and /off state of a unit.wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.