Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry White
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
If two units are attempting to spot each other does a rough or scrub hex between them reduce the spotting range?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
Intervening hexes affect spotting only due to potentially blocked LOS. Since rough terrain e.g. has a height of 0, it does not block LOS and therefore there is no effect on spotting, assuming units are onlevel ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Capitola
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming these units aren't actually occupying a rough or scrub hex, then I'd say no. Both rough and scrub have a height of zero. So they don't block line of sight. Scrub is light cover and rough is medium cover, but cover only affects spotting ranges when the unit being spotted actually occupies a hex providing cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry White
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
thank for the help....was getting to be a sticking point as we are just trying to learn the advanced rules tonight....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to reference the Terrain Effects Chart on Game Card A. The second column lists the terrain height.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Viimsi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to play the basic game, but I don't get the spotting rules.

Scrub terrain has height 0, but it provides light cover. Light cover reduces the spotting range -1 step on the chart.

If tank1 tries to spot tank2 and between them there are 3 scrub hexes, while not blocking line of sight, I would assume that it mean -3 steps on the spotting ranges chart. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry White
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
Jux_ wrote:
I'm trying to play the basic game, but I don't get the spotting rules.

Scrub terrain has height 0, but it provides light cover. Light cover reduces the spotting range -1 step on the chart.

If tank1 tries to spot tank2 and between them there are 3 scrub hexes, while not blocking line of sight, I would assume that it mean -3 steps on the spotting ranges chart. Is that correct?

The scrub is not blocking terrain so if a unit is spotting a second unit and there are some scrub hexes between there is no effect. The scrub is cover and only acts as such when the unit (to be spotted) is in the hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When spotting, terrain in intervening hexes is only relevant in terms of LOS (since it might add height, which is what might block LOS depending on the position of you and the target). The spotting modifiers refer to the terrain in the target hex only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Viimsi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But on the game card A, at upper right corner, there is Spotting Ranges chart. Light-, medium- and heavy cover has -1, -2 and -3. Scrub has light cover, so I assume it affects the spotting range. And if several hexes are of scrub are between the target, I assume the it is even harder to spot. I think that would be logical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The terrain is relevant for the spotting, but only the terrain that is in the hex of the target. For hexes between the target and the spotting unit, only the LOS is relevant (i.e. the height of the terrain in the intervening hexes relative to the height of the spotter and the target). This is different from other games, where normal terrain might have no height or hindrance is modeled because of the terrain type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry White
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
Juhan - you should not assume anything....Cover is Cover and only Cover if the unit is in it.....rule 4.1.3 - "Spotting ranges are based on the terrain type of the hex 'occupied' by the target vehicle"....rule 4.1.4.1.1 "Terrain with a height of 0 or -1 does not block line-of-sight"....4.1.4 "If a line-of-sight is blocked by some obstacle...they may not spot each other"...4.1.4.1 "terrain types may potentially block line-of-sight based on their Height..." 4.1.4.2 "Terrain with a height of 1 or more may block line-of-sight..."

No where in the rules does it say that cover (with a height of 0) affects spotting range unless the target unit is in the hex that has a cover modifier.....

I have had the same problem with reading into the rules (making assumptions) more than they actually say...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Viimsi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.