$10.00
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BSG V59 - Build Your Own Variant & Gerry Got A Large Straight!

OH! Another thing I forgot... if we get to Crossroads we will be using Variant Crossroads cards, as posted by Adria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gridash
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you all for, once again, entrusting me with this higher office of civil service. Today is a new beginning for all of us. We share a unique destiny, but our future is ours to shape and our past cannot be forgotten.

Guess, I'll wait for everybody's starting draw.

At least I can try out my new sexy Roslin banner now, rawr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Bump this to the new page.

Starting draw wrote:

Gridash - Roslin - Full Draw
MachV - Gaeta - ?
markino - Cally - ?
Corodon - Boomer - 2 Tactics, 1 Piloting
Safid - Doc Cottle - ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement W
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Starting draw wrote:

MachV - Gaeta - 1 politics, 1 leadership, 1 tactics
markino - Cally - ?
Safid - Doc Cottle - ?

Okay I totally didn't expect such a quick setup. So much to read up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1Tactics 2Engineering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gridash
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting draw wrote:

MachV - Gaeta - 1 Politics, 1 Leadership, 1 Tactics
markino - Cally - 1 Tactics, 2 Engineering
Safid - Doc Cottle - ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:

Say Mark, since this is the first Daybreak trip to the IN, how should we handle the Sickbay and Brig trauma?

Sickbay Trauma immediately, Brig Trauma at end of turn.
Add 6 more Benevolent and Antagonistic trauma tokens (each) to decrease the chance of drawing a Disaster.

YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Doc Cottle

Setup: Research Lab

1 Politics
1 Leadership
2 Engineering
1 Leadership/Engineering

Triage - Movement or Action: Discard a Repair card to move another character out of Sickbay.

Emergency Surgery - Once per game, when a character would be executed or sent to Sickbay, you may move to Sickbay and then apply the other result instead.

Hippocratic Oath - You may not make a choice on a Crisis card that would send a character to Sickbay or execute him. Airlock may not be activated on your turn.

Seems a little weak to me. The OPT is pretty lacklustre for a guy who already can draw 2 Leadership, unless there are multiple characters in Sickbay. It's also not very good as a Cylon Cottle.

I also don't like how you can't actively make choices that allow you to use your OPG. (Also, isn't this very similar to Old Billy's OPG that many people criticised for being too powerful?)

But he's fine, I guess. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mobile Doc
2 blue 1 yellow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gridash
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting draw wrote:

MachV - Gaeta - 1 Politics, 1 Leadership, 1 Tactics
markino - Cally - 1 Tactics, 2 Engineering
Safid - Doc Cottle - 2 Engineering, 1 Politics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gridash
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
oriecat wrote:
Doc Cottle

1 Politics
1 Leadership
2 Engineering
1 Leadership/Engineering

Triage - Movement or Action: Discard a Repair card to move another character out of Sickbay.

Emergency Surgery - Once per game, when a character would be executed or sent to Sickbay, you may move to Sickbay and then apply the other result instead.

Hippocratic Oath - You may not make a choice on a Crisis card that would send a character to Sickbay or execute him. Airlock may not be activated on your turn.

Seems a little weak to me. The OPT is pretty lacklustre for a guy who already can draw 2 Leadership, unless there are multiple characters in Sickbay. It's also not very good as a Cylon Cottle.

I also don't like how you can't actively make choices that allow you to use your OPG. (Also, isn't this very similar to Old Billy's OPG that many people criticised for being too powerful?)

Well, at least he doesn't have to waste his action on XO'ing somebody out of the sickbay. So I guess thats alright. Its not very cylon orientated, but neither is the changed Chief's OPT ability. His skill draws are pretty similiar too, but more flexible as the Chief. I assume his OPG only counts on crisis cards that would end in the execution of a player (I wonder about quorum cards and airlock checks then though. I'm probably misinterpreting something here).

I guess the changed OPG of the chief can be used as a cylon, while the OPG of cottle can't, unless he could be able to pick whether to execute or save a character when there is a decision to be made on crisis cards. That might be a bit too powerful then though if you could force people to pick the execute result.

And I still wonder about why the change to the OPT of the Chief. Seems a bit useless now since you can only perform 1 action anyway, at best you can save a card from going between ships. I suppose he has to rely on XOs now to do the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Docs OPT mirrors original Chief. Burn your move and a repair to undo something bad, then take an action.

Docs opg lets him execute someone who is sent to sickbay for any reason -- crisis, damaged location, viper shot down -- but unlike Cally he can't pick his target AND he has to move himself to sickbay, giving up 4 cards. In exchange, he can execute out of turn OR he can use the opg to save someone instead.

I admit his weakness isn't that bad, but it's not unlike other weaknesses and is in theme.

Basically Doc is Chief Cally with a theme. This version isn't the one I submitted but I'm gonna give him a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gridash wrote:
And I still wonder about why the change to the OPT of the Chief. Seems a bit useless now since you can only perform 1 action anyway, at best you can save a card from going between ships. I suppose he has to rely on XOs now to do the same thing.

I believe that when you made a thread, a few people mentioned that Chief's original OPT is way too pro-human - given that you draw 2L 2E, if you don't Repair-XO on your turn there is a huge red flag and doing it again gives you a ticket out an Airlock. This is why the OPT has been changed. Chief now becomes an XO magnet (way more than original Chief) and Cylon Chief can obviously make use of this.

Also, this should be obvious, but active confirmation that Cottle can't OPT someone to the Brig, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement W
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb

I think Cottle's OPT also needs clarification regarding moving to Pegasus/Colonial 1, and whether normal ship movement costs are applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gridash
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
Gridash wrote:

I believe that when you made a thread, a few people mentioned that Chief's original OPT is way too pro-human - given that you draw 2L 2E, if you don't Repair-XO on your turn there is a huge red flag and doing it again gives you a ticket out an Airlock. This is why the OPT has been changed. Chief now becomes an XO magnet (way more than original Chief) and Cylon Chief can obviously make use of this.

Also, this should be obvious, but active confirmation that Cottle can't OPT someone to the Brig, please.

Alright, good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, Doc can't Brig someone with his OPT. It's just supposed to let him get someone out of sickbay and then take his own action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dowdy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it interesting that Doc's weakness has "Airlock may not be activated on your turn" instead of "You may not activate Airlock". He can still airlock people on an XO, but people under an XO from him can't do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gridash
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, and I find it even scarier now to end up in Sickbay, since aside from drawing only 1 potential skillcard, getting a trauma token (or even worse in case of a Disaster token), now Cottle can also play god about who lives and who dies (in case of Cylon Cottle). And my character + title leans very much towards ending in sickbay at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh Roslin and Cottle. Just realised that. And I'll throw in Cally's new OPG for good measure.

Fun fun fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gridash
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I've been thinking a bit about Cally's ability "Through the walls". Won't it get potentially abused now if, lets say I move to the Admiral's location and then XO cally so she can use her OPG ability on us all?

In case of Baltar's ability, its not clear if somebody will eventually end up being a cylon until after sleeper phase. So, his OPG usually doesn't get used before sleeper phase (it gives a more absolute check).

Cally can clear out 3 people at turn 1. Sure, she can frame somebody in this manner but she'll be outed as a cylon just as well.

Edit: So is there any downside in doing this? Like you lose an XO and a card from travelling between ships. You might get framed, but then you can pinpoint the cylon player.

I'll probably opt for not doing this, this game, but you might want to reconsider her OPG. And in Baltar's case, he's not trustworthy because of his double loyalty draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MachV wrote:

I think Cottle's OPT also needs clarification regarding moving to Pegasus/Colonial 1, and whether normal ship movement costs are applied.

I would say Galactica only, otherwise you are forcing someone to discard a card when they may not want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And until we actually get started, I'm open to further tweaks to Cottle if anyone has minor suggestions. The last thing I changed was adding that he must move to Sickbay on the OPG, just seemed thematic that he would need to be there for the surgery and have some cost associated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines of Succession?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gridash
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
MachV wrote:

I would say Galactica only, otherwise you are forcing someone to discard a card when they may not want to.

Or the player that Cottle got out of sickbay gets to pick where to move. So he/she can go to Colonial one/Pegasus but isn't forced to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
oriecat wrote:
Doc Cottle

1 Politics
1 Leadership
2 Engineering
1 Leadership/Engineering

The OPT was originally move someone out OR INTO Sickbay, which coupled with a cylon reveal could be pretty damaging. It was then suggested to make it Action only instead of Move, but then I think it's a really weak Action. I'd be happy to add the Into part back, if that would help.

Billy's OPG was not thematic at all for his character, and Doc's totally is. And Billy could only kill someone, Doc can save someone. So I think it's different enough. I actually kind of like that he can't make the choice that would lead to his OPG, so he can't engineer a situation, the timing has to be right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [36] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.