United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
So tell me which of these bribes given to the current secretary general is valid in the game:

- 1 influence if red and black are in
- 1 influence if red and black are in, and green is out
- 1 influence if red and black are in, green is out, and if the proposal passes

If they're all valid, why wouldn't you always want to add in the "and if it passes" clause?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
So tell me which of these bribes given to the current secretary general is valid in the game:

If they're all valid, why wouldn't you always want to add in the "and if it passes" clause?

Because then the price would be much higher. I'd not do something that complicated without at least 5-8 money bribe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

When you say if it passes you are putting it upon the secretary general to pay people to make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

When you say if it passes you are putting it upon the secretary general to pay people to make it happen.
I realize this. I am just wondering if Dan envisioned this form of bribe, and if so, why most players simply don't default to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoodley
United Kingdom
Leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

I realize this. I am just wondering if Dan envisioned this form of bribe, and if so, why most players simply don't default to it.

In a forum context this is fine - however - when you've only got 5 minutes to negotiate - and there is no "writing down" I think it would just get dismissed as too complex...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Well but there is that "complex bribe" space. Perhaps he did envision it.

I just would like to hear his or Stronghold's thoughts either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Baden
United States
Berkeley Lake
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
[q="clydeiii"]Well but there is that "complex bribe" space. q]

That is what the complex space is for, but as Stoods said, you have to be able to remember what you are agreeing to and in the heat of the moment complicated things get dismissed. Especially in a game with new players, it is good to keep things simple. With advanced players, you can try these things, but by adding "and if passes", you are demanding a lot more for your bribe, and sometimes it is out of the SG's control (veto). YOu are hedging your bet without letting the SG hedge his.

Also, if you have two bribes, one to include green and one to include red, it allows the SG a lot more flexability to do at least one of the things you want, rather than an all or nothing decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
All good points! Thanks for weighing in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gleb wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

Because then the price would be much higher. I'd not do something that complicated without at least 5-8 money bribe.

All good points on this!

To me, the biggest reason is that, as the Secretary General, I would want more influence to accept this, per the above. Not 5-8 influence, but more. OR, I just would not worry too much about the 1 influence that this will possibly give me, and if it passes, good... if not, no biggie...

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I am just wondering if Dan envisioned this form of bribe, and if so, why most players simply don't default to it.

This form of bribe is mentioned by Dan as an example in the rulebook (page 7), where Stephanie bribes Mike as the Secretary General with the condition that he make the proposal pass:

See also this thread for a related discussion about such bribes:

Complex deal bribe - is it possible to require the proposal to pass?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.