Subject: Requesting Balancing Feedback for Characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny Renaud
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a game tonight and we plan on using these characters.

(a couple of abilities were pirated from other BBG fan made cards whistle)

The Forgetful One

The Angry One

The Cheeky One

The Apathetic One

The Devious One

The Obsessive One

The Chatty One

The Arrogant One

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first overall point I'd make is that the set itself is not balanced. The skill distribution is skewed too heavily towards the lower end of the color range. You've got a lot of people who draw tactics and piloting, and not enough people who draw leadership or politics. In particular, there are no characters who draw one leadership card, and the only person who draws one politics card also draws leadership.

I understand that you think that this is a reflection of reality. That's particularly true if you say "Well, the Angry One was a MtG player, so he's super tactical, and maybe a little selfish, so he shouldn't get leadership." But I guarantee you, you're using a different criteria for evaluating piloting, unless you're also all big NASCAR fans. Take the time to go back and ask yourself "Even if our gaming group usually meets at one or two people's houses all the time, has someone else ever organized a movie time or diner?" And think about putting them into leadership, or at least as a flex. Kara Thrace's personality is a fair guide for that: she mostly does what she wants, but occasionally yells people into following her.

However, I'd also note that that's not the only flaw with the set. In terms of inter-character balancing, I think there's too high an emphasis on cards and skill checks, and not a high enough emphasis on actions. That's necessarily going to skew towards Cylon wins. There are points in some games where you say "we need to deal with the board, and if the crisis kills us, so be it." You have maybe two characters who are helpful in that situation, plus Obsessive's OPG. But Obsessive's OPG is weak due to the earlier point about leadership.

Regarding individual characters... I generally don't understand the intent behind many of these abilities. I'd start by looking at bringing down the strength of Angry and Chatty, and bringing up the strength of Devious. Arrogant needs the most clarification, because the wording all three of his abilities creates ambiguity. And I'd strongly think about changing Cheeky's roleplay ability, unless it's your intention that he win more than other characters. In which case, why is that your intention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Renaud
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point on the lack of leadership and the abundance of piloting. I'll have to make some tweaks in that regard.

Angry's OPT and weakness balanced out rather well, while he was human and while he was an unrevealed cylon. He could never really help or really hurt too much but I'll have to make some changes if I change his skill set draws.

What would you recommend to make Devious stronger? She seemed rather powerful last night when she brigged two humans in the final hour using her OPG cry

Arrogant's original card text was so lengthy, it all didn't fit on the page without changing font sizes, so I simplified it resulting in the ambiguity.

Cheeky doesn't enjoy the game (co-op games aren't his cup of tea) so my intention was actually to help him win more. It wasn't too bad, as he used the ability early on as a loyalty check type move on admiral obsessive.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenneth_paltrow wrote:
Angry... could never really help or really hurt too much but I'll have to make some changes if I change his skill set draws.

What? Perhaps I misread, or you mistyped, but it seems to me that the ONLY thing Angry can do is really help or really hurt. The way it reads, he has to play three cards or more. "Cannot contribute less than" = "must contribute greater than or equal to". So basically, he has to throw bombs.

To me, the standard play for Angry would be to sit in seat 1, or in 5/6 + draw 3 tactics + hope to throw all of them before your turn. On your turn, draw no red, play one action (CP or LS) or change ships, then trigger your OPT. Then somewhere in the next cycle, hope to play three cards of the color that you didn't use as an action. You play three purple if you CP or three yellow if you LS.

From there, you naturally swing your hand back and forth between purple and yellow, contributing to one check every cycle, hopefully solo-ing it. You should still be able to create relevant turns upon XO: either CP for purple + use board space, or LS + Press Room, or possibly double Press Room if you have several turns before yours. On your turn you move to anticipate between the two, particularly if you're president. You hope that your forced red card is EM so you control when to use it, but you can probably find ways to fit it into a check once in a while. You never use your OPG, unless not mulliganing would lose you the game, because it will potentially disrupt your rhythm.

You do this even if you're a cylon, with the hope that you convince everyone else that you can claim you can auto-pass a really good sabotage check, such as Colonial Day. You can also try to slip in an off-color card on non-important checks and claim the check failed because of destiny. The second strategy is harder than the first, because you have to pull it off three times before you've made a relative gain. But if you're a good liar, it's definitely possible.

I understand that you're building character around your friends expected behaviors. But if your friend Angry doesn't start doing this by the fourth time playing this character, he is playing suboptimally. He will never enter his own crisis step with less than seven cards in hand. He should be triggering his advantage every turn, barring a string of choice / CAC cards.

So my recommendation is to tone is down. If you make it two cards, that doesn't stop the above strategy, but it does reduce his maximum potential contributions. The other alternative is to tighten the requirement to three or less.

kenneth_paltrow wrote:
What would you recommend to make Devious stronger? She seemed rather powerful last night when she brigged two humans in the final hour using her OPG cry

Upon reconsidering this, I'm probably missing a critical piece of information. Is Devious always the President? Because if she is, that ability is a lot stronger. The Quorum would make that ability good. But if she's brigging people by AQ... that's your own damn fault.

kenneth_paltrow wrote:
Arrogant's original card text was so lengthy, it all didn't fit on the page without changing font sizes, so I simplified it resulting in the ambiguity.

Cheeky doesn't enjoy the game (co-op games aren't his cup of tea) so my intention was actually to help him win more. It wasn't too bad, as he used the ability early on as a loyalty check type move on admiral obsessive.

Thanks for the feedback!

Fair enough. That's sort of what I figured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry's OPT doesn't specify that it only works on his turn, so I'd throw hard into most checks, keep drawing extra cards every few turns, and try to find somewhere to dump piloting (tanked checks, for example)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.