United States
Lansing
Illinois
flag msg tools
Or am I?
badge
Devious
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question that I have not been able to find a clear answer to.

Is it legal to stack targeting computers?

For example, if I put two +2 computers on a cruiser (assuming I have the power to do so) does that give me a +4 to my dice rolls?

I personally feel this is not in the spirit of the game and it's a cheap move. A friend of mine loves putting two +1 computers on his larger ships and getting cheap bonuses. Granted, it fills up a slot that could better be used for shields, or even armor.... but such is his playstyle.

It feels like the kind of thing that is not intended by the developers. If it's legal then ok, but it really seems like something they would not want to do given that the game has so many ways of balancing itself out during play.

I can envision a scenerio with the new 12 point power sources (with that nifty little extra 2 point Muon Source) that will give people the ability to stack +3 computers, giving themselves a +6 to their dice rolls. What would the point of even rolling be?

Thanks for any clarification that anybody may have

What is the opinion on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is legal. But a 1 is still a miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely legal and intended as such. I'm guessing you only have one or two games under your belt. As you play more you'll find every build out has a counter, which is part of the fun. The dreadnought build out you won with last game can be completely different then what you won with the next time which is different from the cruiser layout you win with in another game. It's all about adjusting to the way the game is going and the techs that are available.

EDIT
Also as noted, 1's always miss regardless of modifiers, and shields offset computers, so if you have -4 that offsets his +4. As you noted, by spending the extra slots, he is also making his ship less defensible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so you know putting 3 1 move engines on your ship lets you move 3 spaces with a single move action. 2 shields - all the amount (I have had a -8 once). When you add another ion cannon you attack with an additional yellow die. Also you can gave 2 3 energy sources if you can't get yourself a 6 or a 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 13 of the rulebook, Upgrade action:
Quote:
All values from the Ship Parts are cumulative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is legal, and taking up an extra slot is a big deal. It means that the player does not have room for a shield or something.

Another advantage is that allowing (say) someone to put 3 computers on their ship, allows far more variety in the sorts of ships that can be built.

Finally, being able to put in 2 or 3 computers makes players a bit less of a slave to the technology draw. If no computers are drawn, they still have a way to upgrade.

Warm regards, Rick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowski wrote:
I have a question that I have not been able to find a clear answer to.

Is it legal to stack targeting computers?

For example, if I put two +2 computers on a cruiser (assuming I have the power to do so) does that give me a +4 to my dice rolls?

I personally feel this is not in the spirit of the game and it's a cheap move. A friend of mine loves putting two +1 computers on his larger ships and getting cheap bonuses. Granted, it fills up a slot that could better be used for shields, or even armor.... but such is his playstyle.

It feels like the kind of thing that is not intended by the developers. If it's legal then ok, but it really seems like something they would not want to do given that the game has so many ways of balancing itself out during play.

I can envision a scenerio with the new 12 point power sources (with that nifty little extra 2 point Muon Source) that will give people the ability to stack +3 computers, giving themselves a +6 to their dice rolls. What would the point of even rolling be?

Thanks for any clarification that anybody may have

What is the opinion on this?

Hey Steve, people do this all of the time with Plasma Missiles too. Build yourself a ship with a pair of +3 CPU's and then the rest Plasma Missiles. Super common on Starbases too.

As dlhammond says, put 2 drives on your ships. With Neutron Bombs that is huge.

If you have neutron bombs, Interceptors with 2 fusion drives, or just one fusion drive and a standard drive, are awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that the second computer is much less effective than the first (assuming the target has no shields). The first +2 computer triples your hit rate, and thus your damage output. The second +2 computer further increases it by only 67%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Also note that the second computer is much less effective than the first (assuming the target has no shields). The first +2 computer triples your hit rate, and thus your damage output. The second +2 computer further increases it by only 67%.

On the other hand, the absolute increase in hits per round is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have rarely seen 2 +3 CPU's. In my experience, 2 Positrons are more more common. The net effect is usually pretty huge. I LOVE making Mechanema Dreadnaughts this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:

True, but the point is that you're probably better off adding a second gun (doubling your damage output) before a second computer. A cruiser with two guns and two computers has no space left for defensive modules resulting in a glass cannon, so the strategy of stacking two computers is really only feasible on a dreadnaught.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Dulkal wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:

True, but the point is that you're probably better off adding a second gun (doubling your damage output) before a second computer. A cruiser with two guns and two computers has no space left for defensive modules resulting in a glass cannon, so the strategy of stacking two computers is really only feasible on a dreadnaught.

2 computers also mean more initiative. A glass cannon that almost never misses and shoots first is pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Dulkal wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:

That is true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I find cool about this game; everyone has a different idea on the way a ship should be equipped. Some people prefer more guns; some more hull and hit points. Sounds like Master of Orion to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.