Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received this promo along with my Glory to Rome Black Box and just threw it in from the start. After a few games, I began to wonder about it. I noticed that whenever a card seemed overpowered, it was one from the promo deck. I went back to the instructions and saw that the publisher calls the expansion "unofficial" and "sorta" playtested. I've taken it out for the time being. I found the Plebian Council card especially troubling - I don't feel like the game needs another insta-win card.

With my limited number of plays, I am not in a very good position to declare this expansion unbalanced, however. What do GtR veterans think of this deck? Is it in or out of your games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What do Glory to Rom veterans think of these cards?
I wouldn't call myself a veteran by any means, but have enjoyed playing GtR for the past one and a half years. It is one of my favorite card games. I have it added in, and don't find the expansion cards especially more unbalancing than the others. On the other hand, I don't get this to the table every week (wish I did...). Maybe someone who is prolific has found a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What do Glory to Rom veterans think of these cards?
They do other things, but there still seems to be alot of non-promo cards that can be regarded as OP-ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there were one card I would say should not go in, it would be Plebian Council. The problems with it:

-It's possible for the PC player to win with only one Laborer, so it's far too easy to threaten to win with it

-If the pool is light, the ONLY reason to take Laborer or Legionary clients is to win with PC or to block the PC. This means that if someone builds a PC and you're in a multiplayer game, every non-PC player is now effectively in a kingmaker situation, but hoping someone else acts on it instead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Kobe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how do people use these? Do you replace other cards (of the same colour) from the original deck? And Chad, I can see how that card is overpowered, but how do you maintain a good balance of the colours if you're not including it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jools wrote:
So how do people use these? Do you replace other cards (of the same colour) from the original deck? And Chad, I can see how that card is overpowered, but how do you maintain a good balance of the colours if you're not including it?
I add them, IOW... throw them all in without replacement. That does make the game longer in those where it ends by running out of cards in the draw deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Kobe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any problems with Plebian Council affecting the game too greatly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jools wrote:
Do you have any problems with Plebian Council affecting the game too greatly?
Can't tell if you were asking me specifically. Just in case... somewhat, but not enough to houserule it or leave it out at this time. I think there's only 3 of them in the deck, so it should be fine for now for me at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contigo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the cards here are fun to use and don't feel stronger than the rest. You can keep out Plebian Council if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Kobe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I worry that the card is too powerful to include and that the ideal balance (ratio) of cards will be lost if I exclude it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
I'm not particularly a fan of Plebian Council myself. I haven't taken it out, but only because (1) I forget and (2) we've only had 1 win using it (as well as another game that was a choice between one insta-win or another).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.