Subject: Home Support question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrei Ungureanu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game and before playing it I want to figure out how Home Support works. There aren't many details in the rules about it. Can I just draw 3 cards indefinitely ?( since it's a free action ) If I can use this action only once and I end up with 8 cards, isn't it a "must" action since I would get 8 cards instead of the normal 5, and therefore use it every turn ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd Dijkstra
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Playing the Home Support card is a free action. You draw 3 cards when playing HS. If the draw deck contains less than three cards, you take what is there. Therefore it is possible that you draw less than three cards.

Please note that HS is a card in the empire deck. You need that card in hand in order to take the HS free action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you use a card, it is discarded. Not sure how you'd use it indefinitely??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd Dijkstra
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Picking up the cards from the reserve is also a free action, and that one does not require the playing of a card. If a player is unfamiliar with the game and does not know that there is a card called home support, then it becomes easy to see where the confusion comes from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ungureanu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, this is the case, I missed the fact that you need to play the card for the action to occur, you can't just play the action by itself. Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darko Lightsaber
msg tools
mb
Hello,

I have an other question on this topic. What if you have 0 cards in your Discard deck/Draw deck and you buy a Card from the Empire deck? In this case you should put the newly bought card to the Discard pile, but it should be moved to your Draw pile immediately, since you do not have any other cards there. If this is the case, can you draw the newly bought card by a Home Support playing from your hand?

Quotation from the Rules: "as soon as your draw deck is exhausted you shuffle your discard pile and place it face down to form a new draw deck."

This is a general rule, which can not be applied at just the end of your turn, but during your turn, if the draw deck is exhausted.

Thanks for your opinion in advance,

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airunalmarem wrote:
If this is the case, can you draw the newly bought card...?

On the surface, this question should easily be answered by referring to the wording in the "Home Support" paragraph of the rules:
"... you do not shuffle the discard pile to make a new draw deck."

EDIT: Also see newly added information at the bottom.

But on a "deeper level", you have a good question. Not saying I've got the right answer, but I offer these three points to consider:

1) The words from the rule you quoted (bottom pg 2),
"When your draw deck is exhausted...",
can be inferred as:
"[Upon] your draw deck [becoming] exhausted..."

If this interpretation is valid, it indicates that you can only reshuffle your discard pile into your draw deck at the time it is exhausted, not afterward (or IOW during your turn), even though it may still be empty. The only time I can think of when it becomes exhausted is discussed immediately below.

2) From the rules wording on pg 4, "After you have completed your two actions... if you need to draw a card and your draw deck is empty, then you shuffle...", implies that the act of reshuffling your discard pile into your draw deck is designed to occur at the end of your turn. (Bolding of 'After' is mine).

3) From the designer notes on pg 12: "The deck building element of the game builds in the delay between asking for something and getting it, which was a major issue for the two combatants."

Based on the above quote, your proposed scenario seems to fly in the face of the designer's intent.

So, in summary, you ask a good question for which I'm not sure the correct answer, but the three considerations above leads me to conclude that your proposed scenario should be considered as "skirting the system" and thusly invalid. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

EDIT ADD: Ok, I just found this comment, posted by Martin Wallace on Dec 30, 2011:
"Consequently, the only time you shuffle your discard pile is when you need to refill your hand at the end of the turn and your draw deck is exhausted".

Well that should clear things up. Here's the link:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/743531/rules-changes-fro...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darko Lightsaber
msg tools
mb
Hello Barry,

Thank you very much, your comment makes the rule clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.