High Frontier Colonization» Forums » General

Subject: Is this a reimplementation of high frontier expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
samuel
Malaysia
flag msg tools
According to BGG:

"It includes all the elements of the first edition expansion (now out of print), but adds the following maps, cards, and playing pieces:..."

So my question is, is it safe to assume that i shud wait for this expansion which is basically a better version of high frontier expansion?

Would i be missing anything if i don't try and get HF expansion?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The contents of the expansion are still in flux, but as far as I'm aware the current plan is for this to include the contents of the previous expansion, rendering it obsolete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about those of us who already have the first expansion, do we have to buy it all again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
What about those of us who already have the first expansion, do we have to buy it all again?

I'm not sure what this means. Colonization will possibly include some stuff you already have. Obviously you don't have to buy it...

The original expansion is out of print, and they are not going to reprint it. So Colonization kind of has to include everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The new expansion map will differ, not much but significantly. Other components (cards, primarily) will differ - whether the cards from the old expansion will also be included I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonization is going to have a different map panel (with the trans-Neptunian stuff added), so the only part of the original expansion that will be the same in Colonization is the support cards (but Colonization will have cards for additional systems as well). Given that, I doubt there will be an option to buy "Colonization without the support cards" as an upgrade path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
samuel
Malaysia
flag msg tools
So whats the conclusion? As a completionist, is it neccessary to get the expansion or just colonization?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Colonization is new material and simultaneously replaces the current HF expansion. If you haven't as yet purchased the HF expansion, which is out fo print, wait for Colonization.

Also, the map is changing. Don't as yet purchase the poster map on Zazzle as it is not at all finalized. I'm not even sure why it's up there for sale as it is being regularly updated and is a work in progress.

Last I heard, Colonization is soon to be put up for pre-order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erich_schneider wrote:
Colonization is going to have a different map panel (with the trans-Neptunian stuff added), so the only part of the original expansion that will be the same in Colonization is the support cards (but Colonization will have cards for additional systems as well). Given that, I doubt there will be an option to buy "Colonization without the support cards" as an upgrade path.

If I understand right, then we'll have a board version of the poster map?

Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
High Frontier Colonization is now available for preorder (at 25% off) at the Sierra Madre Games website (www.sierramadregames.com, or in the EU www.sierra-madre-games.de). This offer good through May. There are also offers for bundles with High Frontier and Bios Megafauna, also 25% off. But these offers are only good until Feb. 14.

This Colonization expansion will replace all the components of the first edition expansion, plus add many new components.

This game contains the second edition High Frontier expansion, (rules, expansion map, expansion support cards), and also adds four new card modules (i.e. three new card types to research and one new starting card), one new endgame module (see 22.0), five new operations, and one new movement. It plays using the legacy expanded rules, except for the changes listed.

FOUR COLONIZATION CARD MODULES. Each module is a set of rules explaining the usage of a card type: Freighters, Bernals, Colonists, and GW Thrusters. Except for the Bernals, each forms its own patent deck during Set-Up, each of which can be researched. While a full game of High Frontier Colonization uses all these modules, any of them can be added independently to an expanded game of High Frontier as desired.
• Freighter Module. This allows you a second spacecraft for hauling stuff and (if promoted) allows all your factories to move independently. They also provide the special victory conditions called Futures.
• Bernal and Colonist Modules. These two modules are intended to be used together. The Bernal Module represents an orbiting space colony, a mobile upgraded version of orbiting water depots that can accommodate your WTs and colonists. Its location is indicated by the hemispherical Bernal Sphere token of your color. The Colonist Module represents hardy pioneers that give you additional abilities and specialized operations.
• Gigawatt Thruster Module. GW Thrusters are 100x more powerful than the legacy megawatt thrusters, allowing rapid transport of colonists or Bernals to sites as distant as the TNO's (Trans-Neptunian Objects, see 14.4). They also provide Futures.

SEVEN NEW OPERATIONS. Digital Swapping (16.1), Eureka (16.2), Promote (16.3), Suffrage (16.4), Recruit (16.5), Hostile Recruit (16.6), and Tax (16.7) supplement the legacy operations 5.1 through 5.9.

NEW FREIGHTER MOVEMENT. If using the Freighter Module, rule 18.4 replaces the legacy rule 6.6.

NEW RESOURCE EXPLOITATION TRACK. This replaces the legacy Resource Exploitation Track.
• D sites are no longer wild (14.5). Instead, D sites form a fifth column on the new Exploitation Track, and follow the rules as for the other four spectral types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.