Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Total!

Start with a craft sheet from any craft store: Cost? Fitty CENT!

A guy in my gaming group came up with this, so I present it to you so that you can enjoy the beauty of population cube trays for FITTY CENT!

The craft sheet is actually called plastic canvas or plastic canvas mesh. I used size 7.
You can get it at Joann Fabric or Michael's or any other fabric or craft store. It will be in the needlecraft/yarn section, but also in the arts and craft kit area's.

They will have it at Wal Mart too.

Then cut it to fit! Like this:
OR THIS:

Here you go with Population Cubes:

Move em around!

TOTAL COST???? FITTY CENT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cut the basic sheet into a strip that matches the population rows. That is what you see in the upper left of the first picture. I then cut it with an Xacto blade to match as you see in that same picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
One-Nil to the Arsenal!
badge
And it's Arsenal, Arsenal FC, We're by far the greatest team, The world has ever seen....
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool idea. It looks like it hits the same functionality of the much more expensive custom options.

I'm not crafty, so can you tell us what this stuff is called. Is it really just "craft sheet?" And what part of the craft store should I be looking in? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Google search for "plastic needlepoint" came up with plastic canvas, and I'd bet tha'ts what it's actually called. Look in the yarn or sewing stencil areas maybe?

I remember the precut letters made of this stuff for the almost crafty person to feel crafty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks!

It is called plastic canvas or plastic canvas mesh. I used size 7.

You can get it at Joann Fabric or Michael's or any other fabric or craft store. It will be in the needlecraft/yarn section, but also in the arts and craft kit area's.

They will have it at Wal Mart too.

Hope this helps! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vantageGT wrote:
Very cool idea. It looks like it hits the same functionality of the much more expensive custom options.

I'm not crafty, so can you tell us what this stuff is called. Is it really just "craft sheet?" And what part of the craft store should I be looking in? Thanks!

Hey,

As you say, the functionality is all that matters to SOME of us, it looks decent, and it is MUCH cheaper than the laser cut tray set's.

I edited the original post for the explanation of what the mesh is called.

I always just called it craft sheets! blush

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Adams
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So incredibly clever, yet simple. Very nice work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
ghbell wrote:
As you say, the functionality is all that matters [...]

Not for everyone, I'd say. Otherwise game producers would not spend so much money and attention to art, and to quality of the materials. I personally like how my parts box and cube trays are made from high quality perspex.

And I'd say that your solution is less functional than the cube trays that offer a storage solution when the game is not played. But I'm not saying that that added functionality is worth the higher price to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
ghbell wrote:

Not for everyone, I'd say. Otherwise game producers would not spend so much money and attention to art, and to quality of the materials. I personally like how my parts box and cube trays are made from high quality perspex.

And I'd say that your solution is less functional than the cube trays that offer a storage solution when the game is not played. But I'm not saying that that added functionality is worth the higher price to everyone.

Alrighty, edited to respect the opinions of others. Based on context of discussion, the trays I have above are meant only for game use, not storage. When I discussed functionality, I assumed you understood I meant functionality of the trays for use during the game.

For storage, I use the included bags for rep and discovery. I use a Crown Royal Bag for my technology tiles. I use the included plastic bags for ships and markers. I use 2 different plano trays for the ship part tiles and game parts.

Sidenote, Is there an added cost to the laser-cut trays if you want to include the bottom/lid so they can stack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
ghbell wrote:

I think most people would prefer the laser cut trays, but I can't afford them, this will be an excellent solution for me. I would love to have the laser cut acrylic, but I can't spend that kind of money on the game. They are a pipe dream for me. I can spend a dollar though....

Thanks for the great suggestion/idea and implementation!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gracias! I thought it was very cost effective too!

Total Cost??? FITTY CENT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
the model number of the sheet is listed in this thread:

Population cube "trays"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL! Hilarious! I totally missed that thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tater Salad
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nunyabisnas wrote:

Population cube "trays"

Thanks for linking back! Sadly, my original post got less thumbs than this posting. I suppose I should have patented the idea or something

Honestly though, It is good to see that I am not the only person looney enough to wander the craft store looking for a solution like this. And I'm glad people are making use of the idea, wherever it came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
nunyabisnas wrote:

Population cube "trays"

Thanks for linking back! Sadly, my original post got less thumbs than this posting. I suppose I should have patented the idea or something

Honestly though, It is good to see that I am not the only person looney enough to wander the craft store looking for a solution like this. And I'm glad people are making use of the idea, wherever it came from.

There, I went and thumbed it. Now we are tied!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
Gracias! I thought it was very cost effective too!

Total Cost??? FITTY CENT!

You can be expecting a call from my lawyers for false advertisement! I was charged SIXTY CENTS for this sheet at my local Michaels! Ridiculous!

But, seriously, great idea. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol!

I was too! But Fitty sounds better than sitty!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I make the acrylic trays, and I have issued a cease and desist to Joanne's

If you want to make your life easier, the pick up a pair of plastic sprue cutters. I forget what the store calls them. They would be in the bead section, and they cut flat on one side.

An interesting experiment would be to cut one like the example, then cut another, but leave the plastic long inside each square. Stack the two and see if the little plastic "fingers" will grip the cubes and hold them in place for storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:
I make the acrylic trays, and I have issued a cease and desist to Joanne's

If you want to make your life easier, the pick up a pair of plastic sprue cutters. I forget what the store calls them. They would be in the bead section, and they cut flat on one side.

An interesting experiment would be to cut one like the example, then cut another, but leave the plastic long inside each square. Stack the two and see if the little plastic "fingers" will grip the cubes and hold them in place for storage.

I might give that a try, but I just store in the bag.

I think your acrylic trays are awesome by the way! One of these days I will upgrade to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reese
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This may get reactions of horror from some people, but has anyone tried to glue single or double squares of this to the hex (exploration) tiles, to keep the planet population cubes in place?

My main point of curiousity on this idea would be if the hexes are still shuffle-able after you do something like this. I'm thinking the squares would need to be very securely glued to pull off shuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
{reacts with horror}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kloek
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nuada99 wrote:
This may get reactions of horror from some people, but has anyone tried to glue single or double squares of this to the hex (exploration) tiles, to keep the planet population cubes in place?

My main point of curiousity on this idea would be if the hexes are still shuffle-able after you do something like this. I'm thinking the squares would need to be very securely glued to pull off shuffling.

'Gasp!' Why would anyone do that!

To OP: Thanks for the idea of the trays though, I'm getting it asap! Good thinking outside of the box, I would never think of such a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nuada99 wrote:

Dude. No way would I do this. You try it and let us know how it goes! Take some pictures too!

kloek107 wrote:
To OP: Thanks for the idea of the trays though, I'm getting it asap! Good thinking outside of the box, I would never think of such a thing.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave it a shot. I don't really like how they came out, just too shallow (might try doubling it up), but I will say adding the transparency sheet on the bottom works perfectly for making it a cheap and see through tray, rather than just an alignment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
I gave it a shot. I don't really like how they came out, just too shallow (might try doubling it up), but I will say adding the transparency sheet on the bottom works perfectly for making it a cheap and see through tray, rather than just an alignment!

They aren't perfect, of that there is no doubt. But they don't cost much!

ONLY FITTY CENT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.