Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Best way to play single-shot missions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of incorporating experience and leveling up in single-shots. Maybe give the heroes 1 exp for every master monster kill? This will also help discourage the OL from just always respawning the master monsters.

Then maybe 1 exp for the OL for every hero knockout?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:
I was thinking of incorporating experience and leveling up in single-shots. Maybe give the heroes 1 exp for every master monster kill? This will also help discourage the OL from just always respawning the master monsters.

Then maybe 1 exp for the OL for every hero knockout?

Erm... So all the OL has to do to prevent the heroes from ever levelling up is just never spawn a master monster...?

If you want a rule like this, then you would have to say that the OL *must* spawn a master whenever there is one available to be spawned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
It's a lot harder for the OL to KO a hero than it is for the heroes to kill a single master monster. Doesn't seem fair to me that the OL only gets 1 XP for a KO.

Also, if each hero gets 1 XP per master monster killed, that's technically 2-4XP going to the hero side per kill. All four heroes are advancing at once, which is sizeably more advancement than the OL will make per KO.

All that said, however, I'm not sure there are too many quests that last long enough to make the progression worthwhile, anyway. I'd be inclined to just stick with epic play optional rules if I want to play a one-shot with extra skills/OL cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the heroes are mostly balanced in the normal campaign to be advancing all at once, not splitting XP between them. So the heroes getting 4 XP each and the overlord getting 4 XP is supposed to be about the same.

That being said, I don't agree with this. Most of the missions aren't about killing monsters or heroes, but rather about completing the objectives. Many times the overlord can win without actually killing any heroes, while the heroes must usually kill at least one master monster, so the idea seems flawed in this regard. Plus, some monsters (especially some of those in the conversion kit) are much easier to kill masters, giving all master monsters a flat XP value, whether it's a zombie or a shadow dragon, doesn't really make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this idea is without merit, as it could introduce more interesting decisions. "Do we go out of our ways to kill this thing for experience or stick to the path and shoot for the objective?" That said, I'd limit it to only awarding XP for the hero who dealt the killing blow, because as others have said, killing a master monster is not difficult, and certainly not uncommon in quests with reinforcements. If we had been playing with this proposed variant when we played The Shadow Vault, the heroes would have been able to buy just about all of their skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Öberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
How about that all Hero-players get 1 exp when they have whiped out one whole monstergroup, not counting reinforcements. That would result in about 3 experiencepoints per encounter, and about 6 in total, depending on the quest.

For the overlord I would say that knocking down heroes is the best way, now the players have to protect eachother more than usual.

In the case for reinforements, as I said earlier, they wouldn't count towards the monstergroup when counting experience. This would mean that the heroes need to keep track of how many monsters they have killed.

When buying cards/skills for exp it would be best to do so in the "trade part" at the start of the overlords turn. Since the heroes would be able to use their skills right away, the Overlord should be able to pick his card as the drawn card for that round.If he buys more than one card, the other one i shuffled back into his remaining deck.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yeah. That's what I meant. 1 exp to the hero that dealt the killing blow.

I wanted to limit the master monsters since that seemed like always the best choice for the OL, spawn the master monster when it is available. At least now, there's a risk involved with it.

Campaign play isn't something my group is interested in, unfortunately.

Also, I wanted to give the heroes the choice between going for the objective or trying to get more XP. Then again, this system might not be up to it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.