12 Posts

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Rules

Subject: champions continue to receive favor tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olmo Clavero Martí
Spain
flag msg tools
When one of your gladiators becomes champion, he receives favor tokens in following matches? Thx in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No - I'm pretty sure it is limited to two favors and then on the third he becomes a Champion and that is it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olmo Clavero Martí
Spain
flag msg tools
Thx it seems to be the way it should work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, once you're a Champion that seems to be the top dog of the arena - receiving gold for competing, gain/loss of influence (for gain/loss of a Champion), crowd protection from a 'thumbs down'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towerrs strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
BeerAndBoard wrote:
No - I'm pretty sure it is limited to two favors and then on the third he becomes a Champion and that is it.

That may seem like the intuitive answer and is entirely likely to be the intent, but there's no such limit in the text of the rules. Going strictly by the rules, you could even argue the champion could continue to receive favor tokens and become a double champ. If you continued this strict interpretation, then when it comes time to collect money for your popular combatant, you'd have to choose between the favor tokens and the champion title.

In short, I think an official ruling would be warranted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who pays the tribute?

The host or the bank?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towerrs strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
The player owning the favored combatant collects the money from the bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,

That is what I figured, but I never actually saw it in the rules or FAQ.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Headbutt wrote:
BeerAndBoard wrote:

That may seem like the intuitive answer and is entirely likely to be the intent, but there's no such limit in the text of the rules. Going strictly by the rules, you could even argue the champion could continue to receive favor tokens and become a double champ. If you continued this strict interpretation, then when it comes time to collect money for your popular combatant, you'd have to choose between the favor tokens and the champion title.

In short, I think an official ruling would be warranted.

I think that the intent is pretty clear from the rule - once a third Favor token is received, all Favor tokens are removed from the Gladiator and replaced with a Champion token, which grants two major perks - +1 Influence and immunity from a thumbs down decision by the Host. There's no going back to mere "favored" status from there, and there's no higher status to gain for a Gladiator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Holliday
msg tools
Wouldn't it be interesting if you could get to legendary status? Or if after X amount of unbeaten battles the gladiator is set free?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tvbusnavy wrote:
Wouldn't it be interesting if you could get to legendary status? Or if after X amount of unbeaten battles the gladiator is set free?

You're the immoral slave owner, not the gladiator - get a grip .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
The official answer can be found here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.