Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Zanaga Heroes for Descent Second Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vicent Domingo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello everybody. I recently bought Runebound with the Zanaga expansion, and wanted to include the new 6 heroes in my Descent games, so I decided to make some rules for them (because 50+ heroes are not enough). They need some play testing, so feel free to propose any changes (on the rules or in the writing, I’m spanish so may English may not be perfect, and there can also be some inconsistencies with the original rules in English). Sorry, they are just the rules not the complete cards, I’m not very good with photoshop.

The original Runebound Cards can be found here:

And here, the rules in Spanish:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/902670/heroes-de-zanaga-para...

Maliki the Claw
Warrior

Speed: 4 Health: 12 Stamina: 4 Defense: Gray
Might: 4 Knowledge: 1 Willpower: 3 Awareness: 3

Hero Ability:
If you don’t receive any damage after an attack, you can take 1 (fatigue) to inflict 1 (heart)

Heroic Feat:
Use this heroic feat when you receive an attack. During this Overlord’s turn, you can add a black dice to your defense pool any time you receive an attack.

Saka
Warrior

Speed: 3 Health: 10 Stamina: 3 Defense: Gray
Might: 3 Knowledge: 2 Willpower: 3 Awareness: 3

Hero Ability:
You have the Kuto familiar. At the start of your turn, if Kuto is not by your side, you may move him to an empty space adjacent to you.

Heroic Feat:
After being knocked out by an enemy, put Kuto in your space. Kuto can perform an attack on your enemy.

Kuto (Saka’s familiar)

Speed: 4 Health: 3 Defense: -

This familiar is treated as a figure. It may perform one attack action during it’s activation.

Ranged attack. 1 blue dice + 1 yellow dice

Kala the Hunter
Scout

Speed: 5 Health: 10 Stamina: 5 Defense: Brown
Might: 3 Knowledge: 2 Willpower: 2 Awareness: 4

Hero Ability:
All your attacks gain “(surge): Pierce 2”

Heroic Feat:
(action): Chose an enemy within 5 spaces of you (you need line of sight). Roll one red power die. The enemy suffer (heart) equal to the (heart) rolled

Annen the Trailblazer
Scout
“If there’s a trail, I’ll find it” (this phrase is my own creation, because the Runebound card has none)

Speed: 5 Health: 10 Stamina: 4 Defense: Gray
Might: 2 Knowledge: 3 Willpower: 2 Awareness: 4

Hero Ability:
You can move trough enemy figures as if they where allies.

Heroic Feat:
(action): Move double your speed. You may open any unlocked door you found in your path without performing an action to do so.

Elga (Originally Spiritspeaker Elga)
Healer

Speed: 3 Health: 12 Stamina: 3 Defense: Gray
Might: 1 Knowledge: 4 Willpower: 3 Awareness: 3

Hero Ability:
Any time you succeed attacking, you or a hero you chose recover 1 (heart) and 1 (fatigue).

Heroic Feat:
Use at the start of your turn to make the overlord discard his hand of Overlord cards. Then, the Overlord takes new cards as if the game has just begun.

Runemaker Tara
Mage

Speed: 4 Health: 10 Stamina: 4 Defense: Gray
Might: 1 Knowledge: 4 Willpower: 3 Awareness: 3

Hero Ability:
Everytime you attack with a rune, the attack wins:
“take 1 (fatigue): + 1 (heart)”

Heroic Feat:
(action) Roll 1 red power die. Each miniature adjacent to you suffers (heart) equal to the (heart) rolled.

So what do you think? As I said before, don’t be afraid and propose changes to make them better (more equilibrated).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
At first glance, Kala seems really weak. Brown defense is awful compared to grey defense, and her Heroic Feat is pretty bad in that it costs an action to deal 1-3 damage to a single monster. It's nice that it can't miss, but that kind of damage is almost negligible against Act I monsters and nearly irrelevant against Act II monsters. I'd say if you took out that it costs an action, then it would be reasonable. As it is now, I'd almost always forgo the Heroic Feat in Act II, since a three-dice weapon has so much more damage potential than a single red power die. The only situation I could imagine it being useful in is if a large monster is down to 1-2 HP remaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicent Domingo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, the idea weas to give her one ability that couldn't miss, but not being an instant-monster kill. Maybe if the roll consist of two red dice instead? More damage possibility, but with chances to not always kill, and anyway, you can use it only once in an encounter.

The brown dice was a thematic decision, seing how little armor she wears. But seeing that most characters had the grey one (and Nanok going barely clothed has a black dice), I suposse giving Kala a grey one is not a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
my projects: The Silken Threads Descent Campaign; Dawn of Civilization Mod
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played around with this idea for long, but you made it first, so i came up with some hero sheets for you, with some minor spellfixes and minor changes.
If you don't like any changes - I am willing to revert them.

Kuto
Quote:
Treated as a figure
Speed: 4
Health: 3
Melee Attack
Blue and 1 Yellow attack dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
In general I think these are really well done! The abilities are simple and straightforward, yet thematically appropriate to each hero.

I agree that Kala would be better if she dealt 2 red dice with her Heroic Feat.

Elga's Heroic Feat strikes me as a devastating counter to the (IMHO cheap) OL tactic of saving up cards from the first encounter to use in the second. I like it! A wise OL is going to try to keep his hand as close to empty as possible with her around.

PS: Morthai, awesome work on photochopping up some hero cards =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicent Domingo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Morthai, very good job, I really like how the cards look. Don't worry about any change, I don't pretend for those heroes to be my creation: I prefer them to be good characters, and any change is welcome. If the people want it, this can be a forum project, with everyone allowed to participate and proposse changes, in order to end with better heroes.

Stephen, Elga's Feat was designed with this strategy in mind, to punish that overlord tactic.
I tried to give the heroes abilities similar to the runebound ones, but also compared them to all the oficial heroes to keep them unique but not too powerfull.

Also, I was thinking on Annen Feat. Maybe it will be more temathic to allow him, instead of crossing doors, to ignore penaltyes for water and blocked squares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
feel free to comment the changes I've made - I've done many custom content creations and I thought this minor changes improve your suggestions and fit well. Hope you like them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicent Domingo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the changes, while minor, they make sense (like Annen paying one fatigue for each monster he "cross", matbe before was too much powerful, seing that the game is very tactic with movement.
What I don't know if is really necessary is to make Kuto return with Saka each turn (like Skye with his master), but of course, giving him free movement like the reanimate is like giving the heroes another member. Also, Saka and Kuto share a vincle, so making him return always to Saka doesn't sound bad at all. I originally thought of giving Saka a free melee atack (blue + yellow) each turn, instead of making Kuto a familiar. What do you think of this? Also, what do you think of changing the feat of Annen, so instead of doors he cross water (blue lines) and obstacles (red lines) without penalty's? Maybe is more thematical (he is a trailblazer, and not a thief, after all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enric portell
msg tools
mbmbmb
good job again morthai (and ganondorf ofc
the only thing i would change is the hero one use hability for Annen.. moving double of the speed is really underpowered.
maybe if he could do something more... (some explorers can move twice and attack, or collect search cards)

i really love the concept of kara!

Edit: i knew it! somebody did the zanaga heroes before... they are really overpowered, yours are much more balanced and strategic. but... take a look to Annen
http://www.trictrac.net/jeux/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1700739

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicent Domingo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I didn't know there were other versions of this heroes (I searched, but couldn'f find them). Ther are very different, in any case (Saka a Healer, Annen a Warrior).

The Annen feat is one I'm not very proud, anyway: the idea was that, being a trailblazr, he needed to gain mobility. The doors thing seemed a good way to "open a path". Later I thought about changing it to allow him ignore obstacles (red lines squares) and water (blue lines) penaltys. Any better idea? Anyway, having a not-that-great Feat, but giving him a good ability (wich can be used more), give him some balance. And the ability to pass trough enemies is very good for some scenarios, I suposse.
Anyway, they are not definitive, and any sugestion is well received.

PD: Are you the same Elenri that post at the spain edge forums? The Zanaga heroes were posted there before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Annens feat to move double his speed and open doors in the process is an incredible good feat and should not be underestimated. It is almost as good as Jain Fairwoods Skill which is incredible good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicent Domingo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, I was not planning on changing it because is a bad feat (moving 10 and open all doors in the path can be very good in some missions), only asked what you people think of the blocker/water squares movement because that may be more "thematic" (it's a man opening himself a path in the jungle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might be either completely broken in some scenarios while being totally useless in others. Water without penalty would be okayish but obstacles might be quite an issue - i think the open doors is quite reasonable and has good applications (like masquerade ball or castle daeron)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicent Domingo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're right. Let him be as he is now, at least while I playtest him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
Annens feat to move double his speed and open doors in the process is an incredible good feat and should not be underestimated. It is almost as good as Jain Fairwoods Skill which is incredible good.

Jain Fairwood essentially gets 3 actions for the price of one: two moves and an attack.
Annen, as written (if I'm interpreting it correctly), gets two actions for the price of one: two moves, and he is invited to spend his other action to open or close a door. That's pretty underwhelming. If he could open and close doors at will, without spending another action, that would be on par with Jain Fairwood's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Morthai wrote:

Jain Fairwood essentially gets 3 actions for the price of one: two moves and an attack.
Annen, as written (if I'm interpreting it correctly), gets two actions for the price of one: two moves, and he is invited to spend his other action to open or close a door. That's pretty underwhelming. If he could open and close doors at will, without spending another action, that would be on par with Jain Fairwood's.

as written: "without spending an action" he can close and open doors without another action while moving double his speed (i am referring to my hero cards.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganondorf wrote:
The brown dice was a thematic decision, seing how little armor she wears. But seeing that most characters had the grey one (and Nanok going barely clothed has a black dice), I suposse giving Kala a grey one is not a bad idea.

The defense dice don't represent "armor" but "defense". Which consist of armor, dodge, etc. Are you saying it would be thematic if Kala the Hunter couldn't dodge?

I'm going to order Mists of Zanaga next month and I'll probably use your custom characters. The version someone else made before didn't look too nice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Paco
Philippines
flag msg tools
Morthai wrote:
feel free to comment the changes I've made - I've done many custom content creations and I thought this minor changes improve your suggestions and fit well. Hope you like them.

Awesome art and hero sheets. But IMO, I think every hero needs to played to check for their game balance. And to have fun!

Anyway, to my agenda. I've been looking forever for the DESCENT 2E Hero Character Sheets. Where did you get them? Or did you make them yourself? Any chance I can borrow/use it for my small playgroup? soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some templates for photoshop here lying around
althou i am not fond to give them out without the creators permission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicent Domingo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
Ganondorf wrote:

The defense dice don't represent "armor" but "defense". Which consist of armor, dodge, etc. Are you saying it would be thematic if Kala the Hunter couldn't dodge?

I'm going to order Mists of Zanaga next month and I'll probably use your custom characters. The version someone else made before didn't look too nice...

You're right, but I didn't think of it that way before. But yes, wearing little armour, she should dodge easy, so the gray dice is the way to go.

I'm glad you like these versions, they are great miniatures (I'm painting them right now, and they look very good) and deserve to explore some dungeon.

Also, I had not noticed the change in Annen made by Morhai: originally, he could only open doors with his feat (he is opening a path), but anyway, I suposse the playtest will decide if is better this way, or too powerfull. Let him close doors (if he wants) for now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to go for mobility rather than utility (opening doors), you could allow Annen to move through water & hostile figures without penalty. His ability only applies to move actions & costs fatigue. Moving through obstacle terrain wouldn't be a good idea, but maybe he could also leap through lava without taking damage? Can you photoshop in a fedora & whip?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
Morthai wrote:

as written: "without spending an action" he can close and open doors without another action while moving double his speed (i am referring to my hero cards.)

Ah, my bad. I somehow dropped the "without" when I read it originally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
I didn't saw this topic before, I should have searched better

I have thought about thoses heroes myself, here are some ideas.
maybe we can combine to obtains good things ?

I'm french, so I hope my english is correct enough

but there are also runebound midnight heroes that i wanted to to do also.
And I see a good druid healer/shapeshifter for ciridin, even if i hadn't ideas since. I wonder if i gave ciridin a werewolf form as heroic feat, or a druid class that all healers may have ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugo Perillo
Italy
Salerno
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Alex,
have you (or anyone else) done the conversion of the runebound:Midnight heroes for Descent 2Ed?

please can you post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound: Midnight is not Terrinoth canon, so I doubt that ever any heroes of that expansion will come to Descent or any other Terrinoth game.

I revisited Annen and Saka and Kuto lately:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.