Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You might check out the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game forums, they have many different suggestions for starfield playmats.

I followed one of the suggestions (I misplace the link, sorry) which was to go to a free telescope image source, download a hi-res image you like, and then print it out professionally as a banner. I used www.bannersonthecheap.com to print mine, 3ft x 3ft size, which is the standard X-Wing table size. I plan on using this mat also for a backdrop for Eclipse.

Edit - I looked up one thread for playmats to get you started. You might also check out the Files section for X-wing, as it has a number of ready-to-print starfield playmats listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best cloth mats. I bought a couple of them for naval, space and aerial games:

http://www.hotzmats.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I actually found that site shortly after posting, and I ended up ordering a mat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Super nice. Wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaetan Perrin
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What size of hex do we choose? 3 inches or 4 inches?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Customize it and go with 2 inch on the back, and 4 inch on the front for a great layout for TI3 or Eclipse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
ghbell wrote:
Customize it and go with 2 inch on the back, and 4 inch on the front for a great layout for TI3 or Eclipse!

The front page at Hotz has a diagram that shows how to measure a hex, it is not the side of the hex that you measure but the distance between the center of opposing sides. I just checked and Eclipse measures 3.5 inches but the site doesn't give the option for 3.5 inch hexes. Am I looking at this wrong or are people just ordering mats with no grids on them for Eclipse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cathcart wrote:
ghbell wrote:

The front page at Hotz has a diagram that shows how to measure a hex, it is not the side of the hex that you measure but the distance between the center of opposing sides. I just checked and Eclipse measures 3.5 inches but the site doesn't give the option for 3.5 inch hexes. Am I looking at this wrong or are people just ordering mats with no grids on them for Eclipse?

I was wondering the same thing. I was considering asking them if they could print 3.5" hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1: Go get this image or look for another play mat image in the images section.

Step 2: Go to www.bannerworld.com and select the Economic Fabric or Premium Fabric option. Make sure the image you submit is a high quality image for printing. The one from the link about worked perfectly for me. I tried Banner World without any other recommendation and I was astounded with the results, even with the "Economic Fabric" option.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arf Arf!
msg tools
mbmbmb
veector wrote:
Step 1: Go get this image or look for another play mat image in the images section.

Step 2: Go to www.bannerworld.com and select the Economic Fabric or Premium Fabric option. Make sure the image you submit is a high quality image for printing. The one from the link about worked perfectly for me. I tried Banner World without any other recommendation and I was astounded with the results, even with the "Economic Fabric" option.

Hope that helps.

Awesome! what options did you choose on their site? pole pocket size, total size in feet, finishing? also did your options fit the eclipse hexes perfectly?

edig: ok i wont use the pole pocket option, but i do need to know the physical size so the hexes fit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The image file I downloaded from the link in my post fit the banner perfectly at 3 ft x 3 ft.

No other options needed to be selected. Although now, I wonder how much better the Premium Fabric option would have been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
The image file I downloaded from the link in my post fit the banner perfectly at 3 ft x 3 ft.

No other options needed to be selected. Although now, I wonder how much better the Premium Fabric option would have been.

Can you post a picture?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
btizo wrote:
veector wrote:

Can you post a picture?

Yes, please post a pic. I'd really like to see what the image looks like on fabric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary James
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone interested in galaxy play mats may want to check out this thread, which has a number of options:

www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1533413/eclipse

Here's the mat I just took delivery of from Spoonflower:

Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just uploaded a modified version of Jeff K's great image.
See here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87428/eclipse-pay-mat-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
The best cloth mats. I bought a couple of them for naval, space and aerial games:

http://www.hotzmats.com/

Awesome! Anybody know if someone in Europe is doing something like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.