Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Tettamanti
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a scoring app (either Apple or Android) that can calculate the score from a picture from a completed game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tettamanti
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After doing a bit of research on the Android, I found "Go scoring camera free", which looks pretty cool. You let the program know what scoring method, what size board, take the pic, then adjust the outline. It then gives the score. Unfortunately, it isn't perfect. I played a game with a computer opponent and scored it. The score was within 1 point of what the computer said it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dochogan wrote:
What a great idea!

I had the idea to create this a year ago and had a friend who was a developer committed to making it. It was a simple idea, and then he started adding embellishments like it would email the position as a sgf file, and where you could continue the game online, and he started designing a website around that idea, and then he got caught up programming a Go AI for it. He made the whole project into this behemoth idea that lost sight of the original purpose. And then he got busy and it died. I think this is a really neat idea, and if I had any programming skills I'd do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note that many/most go programs don't automatically score without manual intervention (the users telling the program which stones are dead) since it's a nontrivial problem to automatically correctly recognize dead stones in certain tricky situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Tettamanti wrote:
After doing a bit of research on the Android, I found "Go scoring camera free", which looks pretty cool. You let the program know what scoring method, what size board, take the pic, then adjust the outline. It then gives the score. Unfortunately, it isn't perfect. I played a game with a computer opponent and scored it. The score was within 1 point of what the computer said it was.

I only tried it once, but it worked just fine for me that time. It requires an internet connection, that can be a problem depending on where you intend to use it (like international tournaments, for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nachof wrote:
Chris Tettamanti wrote:

I only tried it once, but it worked just fine for me that time. It requires an internet connection, that can be a problem depending on where you intend to use it (like international tournaments, for example).
I tried that one, and it didn't even fit on my screen, so never actually got to use it.

A famous Go developer (Rémi Coulom), apparently has one in the works, he mentioned it in this thread on Life in 19x19.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.