Prev «  1 , 2  | 

Go» Forums » General

Subject: You're in a strange town and you need a Go set immediately rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
From yesterday:

https://www.usgo.org/news/2012/12/go-spotting-go-sets-at-bar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tettamanti
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

I did purchase one of these at a B&N...Only 160 stones total. The board was the right size, though (19x19).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Tettamanti wrote:
I did purchase one of these at a B&N...Only 160 stones total. The board was the right size, though (19x19).

wowwowwow
They sell it with less than half a set of stones? There is no way to finish a game if there are only 80 stones per player. With 160 per player, the game should work, though games do run past 320 moves on rare occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tettamanti
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gave the game to my son, not remembering how many they put in there. He called me and asked how to finish the game when he ran out of stones. I told him that you shouldn't run out....but then remembered the shortage. He transferred the game to a magnetic set and finished.

Pretty disappointing to say the least...the game was about $35 if I remember correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tettamanti
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

I left my unhappy review of the 160 TOTAL stone set on B&N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lee
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting that y'all can't find them. I find that it's hard to go into a store that carries more than, say, 8 board games without finding a copy of "Go: The Oriental Game of Strategy." (Or at least, that's what it used to be called. They've rebranded it recently, and now the box is blue instead of yellow, but it's clear the exact same board inside, since it's too light for anything else.) The problem is that this is a horrible travesty of a Go set. It's 19x19, but both the board and the stones are tiny.

But this is a problem with other classic boardgames too. The copies of Chess or Checkers that you buy at CostCo or Walmart are cardboard or rubber, and the pieces are flimsy plastic. To get, like, a Staunton chess set, you have to go to a serious games shop, and in the end the internet is your best bet. Same deal with Go, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Behrooz Shahriari
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mazout wrote:
It's interesting that y'all can't find them. I find that it's hard to go into a store that carries more than, say, 8 board games without finding a copy of "Go: The Oriental Game of Strategy."

You live another country, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Tettamanti wrote:
I live in Vegas, which is not exactly a small town. We even have a section of town with tons of Asian shops. Not one Go board in the whole city. I did purchase a 19x19 travel version for $8.99 from YMImports.com that would fit easily in a carry-on or backpack. The tiny set came with the standard 361 magnetic stones.

You can buy go sets in Vegas from ChessNGames. Local store. ChessNGames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N J
msg tools
Korean Department store/ Supermarket

You get the best combination of quality and price. They're cheaper than the sets you'll find in most game stores in the US, and the stones are usually full-size.

Nothing is quite as depressing as playing go on one of the tiny boards usually marketed to new western players... The stones are usually skittle-sized, super-light, and go flying if someone breathes a little too hard. When they start charging $40-50 for those boards... I die a little inside.

Last time I saw a board at a Korean Department Store, the board was like $15 and the stones were separate and another $15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.